Depression; Does anyone suffer from it or has?

Aims

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend half my working day perusing a web forum which relates to a town I no longer live in. If that's not depressing I don't know what is ;-)

Seriously though, no I haven't experienced depression. I know a few that have, although I would argue that the term Depression gets bandied around a bit too much. If something bad happens to you or you have a run of crappy luck, then you'll probably feel a bit down in the dumps or fed up. It's merely a reaction to your predicament/environment. Depression on the other hand, is supposedly a chemical imbalance in the brain and, although it can be triggered by external events, it is arguably a physiological condition that manifests itself psychologically.

For example, a colleague of mine was recently signed of for a few weeks following an alleged breakdown. He got a note from his doctor and, having been in touch with our occupational health dept, he has now moved to a different job within the university where I work. Having talked to him recently it’s become clear that he’s much happier in his new position and is no longer on prescription medication. Now, was he really depressed? Or was he just in the wrong job and sick of his workplace? Was his breakdown a massive mental event, or did he just have a wee cry when he got ticked off for blatantly failing to do his job after repeated warnings? To this day I’m still not sure.

Seriously though, no I haven't experienced depression. I know a few that have, although I would argue that the term Depression gets bandied around a bit too much. If something bad happens to you or you have a run of crappy luck, then you'll probably feel a bit down in the dumps or fed up. It's merely a reaction to your predicament/environment. Depression on the other hand, is supposedly a chemical imbalance in the brain and, although it can be triggered by external events, it is arguably a physiological condition that manifests itself psychologically.

I have suffered from depression myself in the past it's terrible, couldn't understand what was happening to me. Hmmm interesting your saying about imbalances in the brain I've had and still have health problems that doctors are thinking are linked to my brain basically being wonky and sending out signals to my body that it's not supposed to - maybe it's everything is linked together.

From mine and others experiences I've found Drs are all too ready to give out prescriptions for depression and not even ask if you want to see someone. I know down here that the mental health departments have been overflowing and there is a considerable waiting list for things. I agree that the word depression and being depressed has been bandied about so much that people use it without actually knowing the true meaning of it.

Depression is a funny thing, ( excuse the ironic punn ) to me for the majority it is all about a frame of mind. Some people play on it becuase it an easy way to get time off work, Some think they are depressed when they are just down.. and then there are the genuine ones who are depressed..

People say it is an imbalance of chemicals in the brain.. and who am i to argue. but the people i have met and talked to about this subject, the common link is they all have an issue or issues that has haunted them, that has never been resolved. weather it be a fall out with family or something they may of done and regretted to multiple reasons.. but the factor is these haunting issues have never been resolved.

Some might never actually be solved.. as these people have spent so long avoiding.. trying to forget... that it gets to a stage that they wont even admit it to themselves let alone talk openly to anyone about it.

and to me ( again i am no doctor ) it is these long periods of worrying/stressing about these hidden issues.. that causes this imbalance.. and to me no drug can cure what in effect is a none physical issue. but doctors are so willing to hand out pills because its the "easy" cure.. but I have yet to know of anyone who has been "cured" due to taking drugs. Drugs end up extending the problam because people grow dependant on them due to the placebo effect.. when at the end of the day there is a higher chance of thse drugs making you feel suacidal than cureing you of depression...

So in a hippy fashion i belive the cure to depression is to solve the hidden issues in your life.. dont hide away.. dont be scared of the consiquences go to tibet and meditate for 5 years or what ever.. :P but avoid pills at all costs...

i no what you mean! lol

you should become then. you sound like you would be good at it. what would you have to say about low-self esteem then?

Low self-esteem... well, If I'm serious for a second I think over coming that is, to an extent, about adopting a kind of self-confident act. I once read that if you start believing in yourself, even if it's a kind of fake self assurance, the act of confidence starts to become 2nd nature to the point where, hey presto, you're confident!

Then, once you're confident (as any good agony aunt will tell you), you're pretty much sorted :-)

The real trick is to forget about the negative things people may say about you, and try and hold on to the positive. Sure, accept constructive critisism from people, but don't take things too seriously or personally. There are people who, for whatever reason, will want to put you down - especially when you're in your teens. It's useful to remeber that it's all complete bullsh*t, basically, and that these folk are often projecting their own self-doubt upon you to make themselves feel better. Most people share the same apirations, insecurites and fears to a greater or lesser extent. You shouldn't think of anyone else as being any better than you - everyone's slightly messed up on some level, even the cool guys.

Failing that, you could always rob a bank and flee to Mexico...

It's a shame really. What started out as a good question has started to turn into a farce by people who don't really know what it's like to suffer from it. It's easy to throw out ways to beat it if you don't suffer from it. Yes, I have & still do suffer from it. No doubt I will for the rest of my days. Try to think hard people before writing drivel about a subject that hardly any people know about.

So in a hippy fashion i belive the cure to depression is to solve the hidden issues in your life.. dont hide away.. dont be scared of the consiquences go to tibet and meditate for 5 years or what ever.. :P but avoid pills at all costs...

Good point, wholeheartedly agree! :D I feel that did help me but it might not help everyone.

Sludgegulper I do agree as well. I've had two "bouts" of depression in my life when I was in Shetland and then three years after I moved down here. For me there were some issues in my life that I believe that contributed to it can't say it whether it caused it or not as at both points I was at good points in my life. I felt when I was in Shetland I wasn't helped how I should have been and it was a bit better when I was down here but I did come through it and hope I don't have to go through it again. Both times I didn't realise I was depressed until I was at the bottom of the well looking up if that makes sense but everyone around saw how much I had changed.

I think that there Doctors use two different types of depression there is clinical depression (medical) and life depression (events).

i sometimes get depressed, but then i have days where i feel great!! so i dont think i am depressed where it is a mental issue. what i do have trouble with is dealing with life issues. i have a very negative way at looking at life, but im still a fun loving girl!

my mums really depressed and has started taking anit-depressents for it, so i also think that sometimes it genetic.

but its amzing the amount of people i come across. THOUSANDS of people have really serious issues. its just the life that they lead and the world that they live in that courses it.

twerto wrote

So in a hippy fashion i belive the cure to depression is to solve the hidden issues in your life.. dont hide away.. dont be scared of the consiquences go to tibet and meditate for 5 years or what ever but avoid pills at all costs...

I agree!, in an ideal world we could solve all our hidden issues and although Tibet might be a bit far to go the help of friends and family might be a good substitute. Sadly we do not live in an ideal world. So meanwhile we keep taking the pills.

In my case that is three a night and they taste foul. However they are certainly of some benefit to me. I feel better for taking the things but I do not see them as a cure. Perhaps I am wrong and one morning I will leap out of bed yelling "I'm cured"!. Would be nice but I do not expect it to happen.

Not even sure that depression is the right label for my illness. Some sort of stress related condition would also fit with my symptoms. Certainly there is a single and ongoing situation that I recognise as the root cause of my troubles and if I can get away from that then perhaps I will get better.

Or perhaps not.....and the uncertainty about depression lifting after the root cause has gone is in itself depressing.

As for what depression is like I can only describe my own thoughts. As long as I take the pills and avoid anything stressful I can exist in a little cocoon reasonably well. Stress can make me physically and mentally ill. And stress can be as simple as getting asked to go out on a stag night.

Have to add that sludgegulper's message is disturbing. There is no reason to assume that depression will last for ever even with the current treatments and there is always hope that science will come up with better treatments.

It's a shame really. What started out as a good question has started to turn into a farce by people who don't really know what it's like to suffer from it. It's easy to throw out ways to beat it if you don't suffer from it. Yes, I have & still do suffer from it. No doubt I will for the rest of my days. Try to think hard people before writing drivel about a subject that hardly any people know about.

It would be good to have your input into this thread Sludgegulper.

I must admit I am one of the people who knows very little about the subject to make informed comment, but would like to learn more.

It's a subject which can get swept under the carpet, leading to a lot of ignorance about it. This in turn leads people to shy away from, or trivialise someone who is suffering because they don't know how to handle it.

I thought there were some good comments made here, but would value the chance to learn more from someone who does have experience of it.

I've had depression. Looking back it was triggered by things happening in my family and to the people I care about. It got worse and worse until I was off work for between 6months and a year. Gradually I got better.

The cure? A mixture of pharmaceuticals, time talking to a community psychiatric nurse (cpn), lots of love from family and friends and time.

I tend to cycle between being depressed and being a bit manic very rapidly, but not too extremely which can make for an interesting existence. Now I'm not on any medication, but I am friendlier to myself.

I was extremely good at hiding things and I only told my mother when I was signed off for a month. She hadn't realised up until then, and when I told her I was depressed her first response was 'Can't you pull yourself together?'

When I look back on it now I have mixed feelings. I have a profound regret that I have very few clear memories of my children's early childhood, but I feel that having been in the depths of depression I came out a good bit stronger, with a better understanding of myself.

Another factor in it all is getting a proper diagnosis - most of the time the people I saw got it wrong. To end up with I was the one who first suggested that they should carry out certain assessements with me! And I was right..

I've done a mental health first aid course, as well as the suicide intervention training since. I certainly think mental health deserves a higher profile and less stigma attached to it.