Vikings in Edinburgh?

Ghostrider

Yes, its amazing how Up Helly Aa goes from strength to strength every year. Even after getting such wide publicity (since the seventies at least) there still seems to be a growing demand for it. Even unto the far reaches of Dunrossness. As part of the world's image of Shetland it is undoubtedly a major attraction for visitors and keeps Shetland in the light during the dark days of winter. The undoubted health benefits of keeping people active over the winter months in preparation and execution of the various fire festivals in what otherwise would be a gloomy period. I would encourage everyone to get away from the TV and internet and take some part.

Edited by Rasmie

Yes, its amazing how Up Helly Aa goes from strength to strength every year. Even after getting such wide publicity (since the seventies at least) there still seems to be a growing demand for it. Even unto the far reaches of Dunrossness. As part of the world's image of Shetland it is undoubtedly a major attraction for visitors and keeps Shetland in the light during the dark days of winter. The undoubted health benefits of keeping people active over the winter months in preparation and execution of the various fire festivals in what otherwise would be a gloomy period. I would encourage everyone to get away from the TV and internet and take some part.

If you are female, how? (in Lerwick, that is)

Things we should be told.

1) Is this years Jarl a horny Norseman?

2) Is this years Jarl a proudly tartan wearing Scotsman?

3) Is this years Jarl a cider swilling Somerset Englishman?

4) Having a minor identity crisis and is all of the above?

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/13859-lyall-s-up-helly-aa-cider-set-for-launch

In this article in Shetland News, the sales manager of Thistle Cross, Luke Fenton, tells us that his cider is suitable for vegans. Is that because it's just like every other alcoholic drink that I've ever come across, and doesn't contain, in any form, anything that a vegan would normally avoid - like meat. In making that statement, is Mr Fenton proving to the world that he is not the most intelligent, or is he showing us just how stupid he thinks Joe Public is - or had he just run out of anything even relatively intelligent to say?

In this article in Shetland News, the sales manager of Thistle Cross, Luke Fenton, tells us that his cider is suitable for vegans. Is that because it's just like every other alcoholic drink that I've ever come across, and doesn't contain, in any form, anything that a vegan would normally avoid - like meat. In making that statement, is Mr Fenton proving to the world that he is not the most intelligent, or is he showing us just how stupid he thinks Joe Public is - or had he just run out of anything even relatively intelligent to say?

Or drunk? ;-)

Or drunk? ;-)

Did he get carried away with the home brew and then called it a business to mask over what he really did in his spare time? Did he also go vegan at the same time because the closest to dinner that he could make was a cheese sandwich? Is it true that they're considering having him sectioned?

Guiness isn't vegan - it is filtered through a material made of fish scales, if my memory serves me right.

Guiness isn't vegan - it is filtered through a material made of fish scales, if my memory serves me right.

You're not far off there. Guiness is still filtered through isinglass, which is basically a fish's bladder. Two or three years ago they said that they were going to change their filter methods but it would seem to have been a pint of p*ss from the beginning.

On the subject of Up Helly Aa will the guizers hop be held from now on in this  muckle new markee at the Clickamin.

Dis wid be a brawly good place  :thmbsup

Reckon it'll still be there by Feb 1st if this wind keeps up?

Yeah! unfortunately this eyesore appears to be "waddering ower weel" possibly the sun will crack it up in a few years time.