Sweetner

sailor

I hear 75 % of SIC staff are getting a pay increase as a resultof single status !!

25% is still a lot of p*ssed off staff not getting an increase and probably getting a cut, or if not a cut, no inflationary payrise for the next five years. :evil:

As i hear it, the whole thing is supposed to be cost neutral. Literaly borrowing from Peter to pay Paul! :roll:

Thankfully i don't work for the cooncil anymore...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps not set the record straight but at least I will give you some additional information to chew over...

Single Status at the outset aimed to introduce a new job evaluation system that aligned all council staff so that they had one 'book' of pay and conditions. At the moment manual workers have different conditions to office workers. So in essence it is an entirely laudable and fair process.

The problem is that it has been implemented in Shetland with the aim of making it cost neutral. Which to joe blogs in the street sounds like a fair aim but.....is this fair?....by implication, jobs are not evaluated in accordance with value to the organisation....so for everybody who has been underpaid (social care, cleaners etc) somebody else has to take a pay cut to pay for it.....how is that fair?

Single Staus does not cover management.....so everybody on big wages have not been assessed and their pay remains the same.....so the people who are paying are lowly office workers and admin...not high paid officials.....how is that fair?

For instance.....post SS it is likely that there will be £20,000+ difference in annual pay between me and my line manager....

The 75% winners is rubbish too.... If you take in to account that council workers are going to have to work extra hours then it hits nearly everybody...

At the moment I am faced with a huge pay reduction, I will be asked to work an extra 2 1/2 years and my pension is now worth next to nothing.......I can't see me voting yes for an extra days holiday and a £1000 (which is pre-tax btw)...not exactly much of a 'sweetner'...

To quote an experienced Unison regional officer "there has never been a worse offer made"....

In Shetland we all think Council staff are overpaid....some perhaps are....but it is not these people who are going to lose in SS....the high earners will be earning the same as they are now post SS.

I've just heard most administration girls have gone down massive percentages :cry:

Yes they have..... admin have taken a large cut....

...continuing from my last message....its not the high paid management positions that are taking the cuts (they are exempt from SS) to balance the books....its the office workers and admin staff....which is surely wrong...

Big losers also include the classroom assistants, nursery nurses etc

Did I not hear only 25% of staff were getting cut ?

don't believe the propaganda...

I urge all Council workers to get their union application form filed out and get it in asap if you are not already a member....

You can PM me for more details.

Re: Joining Unison

To join UNISON, complete the application form linked to below and return directly to the Aberdeen Resource Centre, Freepost AB048, 7 Alford Place, Aberdeen, AB10 1ZQ. Application forms must be received by 5 March for new members to be included in the Single Status ballot.

http://www.unison.org.uk/acrobat/B1016.pdf

I have to agree that any portion of this that cuts the pay of the lower paid workers is unacceptable. This would be equally unacceptable in the private sector.

One of the basic principles of successful management is the equitable and fair treatment of your employees if you want to succeed. If you do not treat your employees fairly - and many of these employees are not in a position to leave their jobs and livelihoods - then you bear the risk of dealing with a dissatisfied and disenchanted workforce, that will more than compensate for their lost earnings in lost performance or service.

Maybe the majority of the problems that the SIC customers (taxpayers) perceive, start with the management treatment of the employees rather than the standard of service or motivation of the employees themselves.

No wonder they have labour issues!

Employees are the life blood of any organisation and can make or break it. They are a reflection of the style and motivation of the individuals and management culture that the leadership creates and develops.

Too many of these disasterous money losing schemes and political battles start from within the upper management levels of the SIC that it is becoming more and more obvious to me that the failures lie deep within the structure and culture of the SIC and the Council itself.

In business, if a business fails to perform, you don't look to replacing the employees, you look to replacing the management. The management hired the employees, motivate and direct the employees and are responsible for their production and performance. They are equally responsible for their failure. The buck actually does stop with them!

I think I am starting to clearly understand where many of the problems of the SIC originate from.

I think I am starting to clearly understand where many of the problems of the SIC originate from.

IMHO if the leadership qualities publically displayed by the SIC top two tiers, and by that I mean the elected members and the highest level of hired staff, are qualities mirrored in their leadership qualities within the organisation, Shetland is damn lucky to have a council workforce that functions in any meaningful way at all.

It is testament to the fact, that somewhere in the legions much nearer service delivery level, there are enough smart and dedicated people to pick up the random scraps that tumble down from aloft and piece them together in to something that is somewhat coherent and practical. But even with the best will in the world, folk can only do the best they can with what they have to work with, as the auld eens wir wint t' sae, "Du canna mak a silk purse oot oh a soo's lug".

The services provided by the SIC are done so despite the upper tiers of the organisation, rather than because of them as far as i can see.

IMHO if the leadership qualities publically displayed by the SIC top two tiers, and by that I mean the elected members and the highest level of hired staff, are qualities mirrored in their leadership qualities within the organisation, Shetland is damn lucky to have a council workforce that functions in any meaningful way at all.

Up to a point - but I wouldn't like to generalise, the SIC has some talented managers and some hopeless front line workers.

This is a charge often levied at the SIC and while I wouldn't care to attempt to refute it in it's entirety its worth remembering that it's not exclusive to that august body.

The notion that a private company run like the SIC would (a) not survive and (B) would not accept performance of this level from its managers has been trotted out regularly in this kind of debate. Unfortunately, it's stoness.

You only have to look at the behaviour of top executives in private companies going back into the 90's resigning or being sacked after severely bruising corporate profitability (and often credibility), bailing out with multi million payouts, to resurface in some privatised utility or quango board - hired, no doubt, for the 'private sector experience' they can bring to the post.

The British economy - outside of the financial sector - has been in observable decline since the 70's, often as a direct result of mismanagement or outright fraud. Still there are those who insist, both in Parliament and the saloon bar, that this is the management model which should be emulated for our public services?