Sweetner

sailor

I feel sorry for the genuinly underpaid who briefly saw a chink of light, which looks like it is gone for the time being. How badly this has been handled by whoever pulls the strings on this one? They have succeeded in angering every employee and possibly had knock on effects to the rest of us when you think of perhaps house prices in town?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to some sic staff seriously affected by this and they were saying that the whole evaluation system is weighted to benefit manual workers. Apparently there are very few points being given for qualifications. One guy who has spent 4 years at uni and racked up a large debt has got the same points for knowledge as a painter who has been paid by sic for those four years and has no debt !!!!!!! Makes you wonder why spend £40 million on a new school if the message being given out by sic is that qualifications count for bu**er all ?

The evaluation system did sound like a joke and with no rhyme or reason in some cases. Think single status was a good idea but implimented totally incompetently (suprise, suprise). I bet the folk that made the total balls up though will be able to just carry on like they have done nothing. If it was a private company and the mistakes are as bad as people say they would be fired for incopetence on a grand scale.

One guy who has spent 4 years at uni and racked up a large debt has got the same points for knowledge as a painter

Was the degree relevant to the job? A degree in management organisation is meaningless if the guy works as a painter, just as a degree in fine art is totally meaningless if the guy is a manager. If two guys do the same job and one has a degree, surely the question is "why are we employing graduates when non grads can do the job" rather than who gets the most money. If the two guys are not doing the same job then the comparison is meaningless.

I'm sorry, I just don't follow the arguement in this case. Sure the review is weighted towards manual workers, they deserve it, having been treated scandalously by the council in the last twenty years. And it is common knowlege that the SIC has been a gravy train for admin staff for a similar period. What I can't understand is who, in the council, thought that they could impose pay cuts to large numbers of staff without some kind of serious fallout. What were they thinking? Don't they teach you specifically not to do this kind of thing in management school? And simultaneusly giving generous rises to senior management who are unaffected by the review. If you made a pitch for a new comedy show with this as the hook, you would be regarded as insane. This should go down in management training history as a case study in how not to reform a large organisation. Could they have got it more wrong?

While there are no doubt council workers on the sharp end who have been underpaid for far too long, I wonder with some of the rate increases I've heard about if it might not be a poor deal in the long run....

For example council cleaning has always been done in house.... have the raises in wages proposed by singles status pushed those costs up high enough to where the next thing we will hear is a need to tender the contract under best value?

.....leaving the door open to an outside agency to undercut the prices

.....and end up employing the same people at something nearer minimum wage....

Im a capatilist and belive in the pound before any sniveling excuse, but I know at the same time if the safe pathetic wastes of space dont get their cash their is a drip down to everyone else if its not fillled, Shetland works on a good welfare (as I would call it) economy for what folk do working for da council.

One guy who has spent 4 years at uni and racked up a large debt has got the same points for knowledge as a painter

Was the degree relevant to the job? If the two guys are not doing the same job then the comparison is meaningless.

I'm sorry, I just don't follow the arguement in this case.

One is an accountant with a university degree in accountancy, the other is a painter with no qualifications in painting. :wink:

One is an accountant with a university degree in accountancy, the other is a painter with no qualifications in painting. :wink:

Not every skill can be taught at university. Some things you only learn by doing.

Besides, everyone knows that a degree isn't worth the paper it's written on these days. They're given out by collecting the tokens on boxes of Corn Flakes.