Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

• 8 months later...

I hear that to help the economy the Up Helly Aa committee is considering a summer festival called Up Jimmy Aa. They will celebrate the life of an alleged rapist who was a hero in his life time. They will spend the year decorating a Savile caravan that they will take round the schools then set fire to with large cigars. Only the Jimmy squad, led by the Guizer Jimmy can dress up as the alleged rapist himself. The rest can dress as women though. Aparently there is not much support, because unlike the Vikings they worship, Jimmy didn't pillage too.

• 1 month later...

The Haggis Adventures Up Helly Aa Viking Festival 5 day holiday advertised on AIS today, sounds quite nice, £499:

http://www.haggisadventures.com/

"Viking parade and longboat burning

All-night party with the locals

St Andrews, home of golf {Erm, going to be some disappointed golfers on the Haggis bus}

Full tour of the Shetland islands

Traditional Music"

"The next morning (or at the end of the night, depending on how much fun you have!) we will join the ‘guizers’ again as they sing away their hangovers."

Is this really just a warning that there will probably be guizers still drittling around in your hotel when you go down for breakfast, so hang on to your toast!

The Haggis Adventures

...St Andrews, home of golf {Erm, going to be some disappointed golfers on the Haggis bus}

Actually they do go to St Andrews on their way back.

Is Up Helly Aa important?
Yes.

Is our Islands financial state important?
Yes.

And?

• 4 weeks later...
The Haggis Adventures

...St Andrews, home of golf {Erm, going to be some disappointed golfers on the Haggis bus}

Yes.

Yes.

And?

And...

What is more important?

Also, should Up Helly Aa’s promote sensible safe drinking?

The Haggis Adventures

Yes.

Yes.

And?

And...

What is more important?

Are they exclusive? I'd have thought that it is a simple mental process to hold opinions on both at the same time. You may as well ask if Christmas and peace in the ME are important.

Also, no. If you're old enough to drink, you should be responsible for your own actions.

couple of questions...

Many will put one or the other to the back of mind till it’s all over, which one should we focus on and which one is in the back of your mind?

can you please explain why you have created this comparison?

The Haggis Adventures

Yes.

Yes.

And?

And...

What is more important?

Are they exclusive? I'd have thought that it is a simple mental process to hold opinions on both at the same time. You may as well ask if Christmas and peace in the ME are important.

Also, no. If you're old enough to drink, you should be responsible for your own actions.

In my opinion our Island’s financial current state is far more important than any Up Helly Aa i.e. Up Helly isn’t that important (currently). I’d recommend everyone re focusing efforts much more towards our plight.

[Also, no. If you're old enough to drink, you should be responsible for your own actions.]

So, from your response I gather you think it isn’t necessary to prompt sensible drinking? Please give thought to others affected by the responsible drinkers...e.g. “bairns waiting for Dad or Man to rumble in having over indulged (by their own actions...having intended to drink responsibly)â€.

By financial state, do you mean the general world economy or the the SIC's economic crisis? The private sector actually seems to be booming.

What part do you think up helly aa has to do with that?.

Perhaps it actually contributes to the local economy? Do you know otherwise?

As for sensible drinking I notice perhaps less drunkeness than that seen in the average weekend.

Perhaps not all squads are like mine, but we do ensure our youth are shown sensible drinking practices. Perhaps again you know otherwise?

We have disciplined members in the past for consuming too much and I regard that a healthy balance has been struck in our own particular squad.

By financial state, do you mean the general world economy or the the SIC's economic crisis? The private sector actually seems to be booming.

What part do you think up helly aa has to do with that?.

Perhaps it actually contributes to the local economy? Do you know otherwise?

As for sensible drinking I notice perhaps less drunkeness than that seen in the average weekend.

Perhaps not all squads are like mine, but we do ensure our youth are shown sensible drinking practices. Perhaps again you know otherwise?

We have disciplined members in the past for consuming too much and I regard that a healthy balance has been struck in our own particular squad.

Glad to see you’re at least thinking about the crises! I’m merely putting forward my own opinion re our Islands current state which I’m much more concerned about.

I’m not thinking Up Helly Aa’s makes much difference to our economy...most hotels can’t be bothered...oily workers far more lucrative!

... less drunkenness than that seen in the average weekend...less drunkenness?...still might be too much!

Basically what I’m asking is... Should not ALL Up Helly Aa’s promote sensible drinking during the whole year including the night itself, squad meetings etc?

The youth are influenced by their peers!

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa