Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Basically what I’m asking is... Should not ALL Up Helly Aa’s promote sensible drinking during the whole year including the night itself, squad meetings etc?

No they shouldn't because, that is NOT what AA's are about.

What business is it of any squad/AA committee that has not been elected by the majority of the population to stick it's nose into areas that are nothing to do with it?

It might be politically 'fashionable' to to join in with the latest 'don't do that, it's bad for you' type of crap that comes to us from all angles these days but, imho, squads etc. should resist the temptation to 'spread the word' and not allow themselves to be hijacked by the latest batch of 'do-gooders'.

In my opinion our Island’s financial current state is far more important than any Up Helly Aa i.e. Up Helly isn’t that important (currently). I’d recommend everyone re focusing efforts much more towards our plight.

[Also, no. If you're old enough to drink, you should be responsible for your own actions.]

So, from your response I gather you think it isn’t necessary to prompt sensible drinking? Please give thought to others affected by the responsible drinkers...e.g. “bairns waiting for Dad or Man to rumble in having over indulged (by their own actions...having intended to drink responsibly)â€.

Is it just me? Getaba, I'm not sure where you are going with this one. Even as a bloke I can multitask, to the extent that I can focus on the state of our economy and still enjoy the wonderful up Helly aa festival.

There is no doubt that up Helly aa brings in a lot of revenue through tourism and further promotes the isles for future visitors therefore assisting our local economy, and helping to focus on our " plight" as you put it.

So I don't understand where you are coming from.

I do agree with your view on over indulgence though, would like to see more done to encourage responsible drinking and believe the up Helly aa committee should take a stronger role in this.

So you're suggesting we cancel up helly aa and instead have a sober day debating how to solve Shetlands financial problems? Maybe you should attend the mass meeting and put it forward as a proposal....

...did I say that?

Maybe you did, no one that's read your original post is quite sure what you were saying. And now rather than clarifying your original post you've headed off on some crusade about Shetlands drinking culture?

Your original post suggested to me that either everyone, or at least some folk, involved in UHA has the ability to solve Shetlands impending financial crisis and that UHA is distracting them from this work - please tell us more, who are these people? A bit like Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned I guess?

Personally I believe the key lies with a group of folk who need to get their heads out of the sand and make some very important, but unpopular key decisions - I don't believe UHA plays any part in this, unless you know otherwise?

So, no more riddles or thread drift, please clarify your original post and explain what UHA has to do with the local financial crisis.

I’m not thinking Up Helly Aa’s makes much difference to our economy...most hotels can’t be bothered...oily workers far more lucrative!

Basically what I’m asking is... Should not ALL Up Helly Aa’s promote sensible drinking during the whole year including the night itself, squad meetings etc?

Getaba, I think you surely must be mistaken with hotels not caring. I work in a hotel and we were fully booked for Up Helly Aa well before January. So the hotel industry can be bothered. It's a very busy time for us and gives us plenty of business.

As for sensible drinking, should that not be every Friday and Saturday night as well? You can't just bid for Up Helly Aa to be a sensible drinking time when there's also many festivals where a good drink is involved such as the Folk Festival, Mid-Summer Carnival etc.

Also, no. If you're old enough to drink, you should be responsible for your own actions.

Competely agree there Scorrie! I always believe that everyone is responsible for what they say or do.

End of the day no one can really force you to take that drink, it's your own actions, no matter how old you are.

I grew up in a strong druggie atmosphere at school, almost everyone did drugs, but not once did it cross my mind to 'try' it. Same with kids today whether its drink or drugs, if they want to do it they will.

And getaba, I think UHA is important. I know at least once a year I'll have a good fun with my friends and have a good burl with Strip the Willow! Can't get that in Posers;).

Also, no. If you're old enough to drink, you should be responsible for your own actions.

Competely agree there Scorrie! I always believe that everyone is responsible for what they say or do.

End of the day no one can really force you to take that drink, it's your own actions, no matter how old you are.

I grew up in a strong druggie atmosphere at school, almost everyone did drugs, but not once did it cross my mind to 'try' it. Same with kids today whether its drink or drugs, if they want to do it they will.

And getaba, I think UHA is important. I know at least once a year I'll have a good fun with my friends and have a good burl with Strip the Willow! Can't get that in Posers;).

Dear LauraJane90

I’m very glad to hear that you weren’t influenced and had the strength and maturity not to get involved with drugs at school. You’re not incorrect regarding that we are all responsible for what we say or do. However, people are vulnerable, they can make wrong choices and they make take a wrong path, influenced by peers, it is simply much more complex than ‘if they want to do it they will’. Many factors could affect a person’s choice; bullying, problems at home etc. People can also turn to drinking and drugs in later life for support.

If sounding like I’m picking on ‘Up Helly Aa’...I’m not, but festivals have become known, in part, possibly wrongly as ‘massive drinking festivals’...which I’m sure you will agree is the wrong image and message.

Furthermore, ‘Up Helly Aa’, has interwoven itself firmly into our island’s culture and by doing so it is not without influence.

In my opinion it would be a great message to hear that Up Helly Aa endorses sensible drinking...now that really is a challenge to a brave Viking and any ‘Guizer Jarl’.

[in my opinion it would be a great message to hear that Up Helly Aa endorses sensible drinking...now that really is a challenge to a brave Viking and any ‘Guizer Jarl’.

I'm glad that it's only just your 'opinion'. Why not leave the running of the various UHA's to the people who know what they are doing.

Dear LauraJane90

I’m very glad to hear that you weren’t influenced and had the strength and maturity not to get involved with drugs at school. You’re not incorrect regarding that we are all responsible for what we say or do. However, people are vulnerable, they can make wrong choices and they make take a wrong path, influenced by peers, it is simply much more complex than ‘if they want to do it they will’. Many factors could affect a person’s choice; bullying, problems at home etc. People can also turn to drinking and drugs in later life for support.

If sounding like I’m picking on ‘Up Helly Aa’...I’m not, but festivals have become known, in part, possibly wrongly as ‘massive drinking festivals’...which I’m sure you will agree is the wrong image and message.

Furthermore, ‘Up Helly Aa’, has interwoven itself firmly into our island’s culture and by doing so it is not without influence.

In my opinion it would be a great message to hear that Up Helly Aa endorses sensible drinking...now that really is a challenge to a brave Viking and any ‘Guizer Jarl’.

So, am I to assume that every time you walk into an establishment serving alcohol you should receive a patronising lecture on 'sensible drinking' from the bar staff?

So, am I to assume that every time you walk into an establishment serving alcohol you should receive a patronising lecture on 'sensible drinking' from the bar staff?

Of course not, but they are required by law not to serve someone who has had too much already, and therefore do have a responsibility to ensure responsible drinking.

Noo come on, you surely have to accept that drinking to excess at up helly aa has always been an issue, as has the problem with younger people obtaining drink.

Therefore the organisers have a duty of care and should and must do what they can to encourage sensible drinking, as should the squads and members.

Having been in a squad for over 30 years in my younger days and having gone to halls I have seen it from all sides. I was lucky to be in a squad where we never drank at meetings and usually all stayed responsible throughout the night and managed all halls.

How often do you see squads with only 2 or 3 walking into halls towards the end as most if their squad has falling by the way side. Or fiddle box carriers supping out of a can?

We all have a responsibility to encourage sensible drinking, and the up Helly aa committee do a great job of organising a great festival, but more could be done regarding those who overindulge.

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa