Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

I have never put myself forward to join a squad as I hardly ever drink alcohol. A couple of cans of guinness or belhaven a week is my average and I often go a week or two with no alcohol intake at all.

Well you seem to drink more than me and I go out in a squad. I could count on my hands how many times i've had a drink since last Up Helly Aa. I sometimes go a couple of months with no alcohol intake at all.

Has there ever been a teetotal squad in the UHA, perchance?

I doubt if there has ever been a teetotal squad, but there's plenty of teetotallers go out in squads. Our Squad has been meeting regularly since October and nobody has had a single drink at any meeting so far, which is quite normal for us.

It's not all as bad as some seem to be painting it.

[Colin, please don’t disappear into the sand...try to avoid the threats...let’s approach this issue in a grown-up manor.

And there's your problem. I'm not burying my head anywhere because I don't see it as a threat in the way that you do.

I just don't see why UHA Squads/Committees should be 'forced' to adhere to your agenda.

As for not approaching your perceived 'issue' in a grown up manner, that is exactly what I am doing. If I don't see it as an 'issue', why should I subscribe to your point of view?

Bottom line is that if you are not in a squad or on a committee, keep your nose out of things or, if you feel that strongly about it, get involved but, don't sit back sniping at what the majority of others see as a good night out.

Colin, are you by any chance in the drinks trade? I thought the drinks trade promoted sensible drinking...don’t they?

Link for you... http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/

PS thanks for your advice re sticking my nose in...but I think I’ll make up my own mind...thanks again

I would think, and I know personally that most guizers drink a lot less on Up Helly Aa night than they would a night in the pub. They have to concentrate on an act, they eat suppers, they dance, and they are rushed around every hall with hardly time to open a drink. A night in the pub they have none of these restrictions.

Colin, are you by any chance in the drinks trade? I thought the drinks trade prompted sensible drinking...don’t they?

None of your business really but, for what it's worth, I am NOT in the drinks trade, I am NOT is a squad and, I am NOT on any UHA committee but, I AM totally opposed to any of these events being hijacked by 'outsiders'.

Thanks for the link but, I HAVE had Servwise training and I HAVE worked in bars.

Satisfied?

This whole conversation has just turned into silly remarks at people...

Getaba, if you have a strong opinion on this, like you do, I suggest you consider joining the committee and having your say.

The guys on both the squads and committee work damn hard to prepare for this fantastic night, with both time and money. And surely if they want to have a good drink and a laugh on the night after all their work, that shouldn't be an issue? Yes of course there's always one that takes it too far.

Not sure what type of work your all in or whether you don't work, but at Christmas time some companies go for work meals. And there is usually one who as one too many to drink and makes a fool of themselves. Correct? So what difference is it to a works do and UHA?

I admit, by 9am there's very few members of squads left, but that could be due to a number of factors. Rarely have I ever seen a squad with not many members by 4am.

Colin, are you by any chance in the drinks trade? I thought the drinks trade prompted sensible drinking...don’t they?

None of your business really but, for what it's worth, I am NOT in the drinks trade, I am NOT is a squad and, I am NOT on any UHA committee but, I AM totally opposed to any of these events being hijacked by 'outsiders'.

Thanks for the link but, I HAVE had Servwise training and I HAVE worked in bars.

Satisfied?

Colin, Colin, Colin...

What do you mean by ‘outsiders’?...careful...others have gone down this track before and have fallen foul of inappropriate language!

PS...link for you http://www.alcohol-focus-scotland.org.uk/alcohol-young-people

Colin's response to 'outsiders' doesn't necessarily mean those not from Shetland. It could be those not interested in UHA...

LauraJane90, I did think that Colin is quite able to speak for himself :?

Plus...I am interesred in UHA(s)...so I’m an insider then...?

PS...and I also support sensible drinking

:!:

I admit, by 9am there's very few members of squads left, but that could be due to a number of factors.

Have been on the door at the Anderson and several had made it past nine, certainly was fun. Though you are right about the 4am bit, many are just dog tired after a very very long day and loads of acts and dancing.

Has there ever been a teetotal squad in the UHA, perchance?

I doubt if there has ever been a teetotal squad,

It is an interesting question. In the early years of the festival a very large number of the Jarls, main organisers and participants were teetotal members of temperance movements such as the Rechabites. This is well known, but I'm not aware if any squad was ever 100% teetotal. It would not surprise me if there were.

‘A do-gooder’...a definition...a naive idealist who supports philanthropic or humanitarian causes or reforms.

OK, so now we know what a do-gooder is... Does the definition fit you?

The point is that most UHA squads/committees are self regulating and the last thing they need or want is someone else setting their agenda any more than happens at present.

If you want to 'crusade' against the evils of drink etc. you're starting with the wrong people.

According to a study published this month in The Lancet, alcohol and tobacco rank among the ten most dangerous substances used by humans. Both alcohol and tobacco have been assessed to be more dangerous than illegal drugs like marijuana or ecstasy.

Colin, all I’m asking is for Up Helly Aa(s) to promote sensible drinking.

Best regards

A do-gooder

PS...being told I’m a ‘do-gooder’ could actually be compliment...so thanks!

Wir squad 30 odd year ago spent roughly 70% of the total cost of the year on drink. Recent years its been well below 10%. Now, i grant you statistics can be pretty meaningless. More suits are bought than are made nowadays and drink is cheaper than it used to be.

Keep in mind though 30 odd year ago if you had a big night with the squad on a weeknight you had more chance of getting away with drivin to work sloshed, pittin in a days work? and gettin away wi it. Not today.

Also if it encourages so much problem drinking (I grant you there have been a couple of notable exceptions) How many guizers out of approx 850-900 every year get arrested for anti-social behaviour, set fire to themselves despite wearing some really flammable suits or to the thousands that watch the procession.

I would suggest that if you tried to put on a similar event anywhere else in the U.K. it would lead to the events that this festival was born from. (flaming tar barrels, firearms and police assault)

I ken its not perfect but the longer i go out the more i am amazed by the community effort that goes into the event.

And Daveh says he has never put himself forward. Generally you get asked as you have a contribution to make to the squad.

Wir squad has several soothmoothers! (dere I said it) And all have been proud to be part of a really great community event. wan o wir squads Jarls was a soothmoother himself.

And to be honest, Dir is nithin better dan seein a hairy, tattooed welder in a dress :wink:

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa