Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

I will be interested to see what action (if any )is taken agaist ex Jarl "Big ****".

Any other member of the public would be brought before a disciplinary meeting and banned from Up Helly Aa and all its other activities for at least 5 years.

I fear however, this will probably be swept under the carpet!!!

Alledgedly the bit "that sinking feeling" was a dig at his depression, maybe the Up Helly Aa Committee shuns Ex-Jarls if they suffer from an illness like depression. Maybe doesn`t do much for their macho image.

Copy and Paste this quick - before it gets likely removed by some over-zealous moderator.

I have a programme here in front of me. It says:

Top o' da Pops

1. That Sinking Feeling - Big **** and the Loss adjusters.

I understand **** (yes, the former Jarl himself) sold his boat but subsequently claimed his boat had been sunk. He was trying to get the money from the insurance company.

Things might have gone his way, except the new owner of the boat happened to apply to the same insurance company for cover on the (not sunk) boat.

**** threatened to throw paint over the Proclamation unless the bit about him was removed.

Some former Jarls don't always enter in to the spirit of UHA as much as some others do I'm thinking. :wink:

Alledgedly the bit "that sinking feeling" was a dig at his depression "sinking into a deep depression" Maybe Ex-Jarls are shunned on by the Up Helly Aa Committee if they have an illness like depression.

It it was all to do with his boat, nothing to do with deppresion :roll:

An Article put on the Bill that was an ongoing legal matter that had not been dealt with by the legal system should never have been put on the Bill in the first place. Big **** told about the Article on the Bill at 11.00pm on the Monday night prior to Up Helly Aa Day by a member of The Up Helly A Committee. What reaction did they expect? A well done boy`s? 15 angry Committee boys angry the Bill had to be changed and decide a 10 year Ban is an acceptable penalty. 15 Committee boys against 1 man. As far as I`m aware Big **** was unwell at the time the Article went on the Bill. What kind of a Committee is this? Certainly not a proffesional one.[/b]

An Article put on the Bill that was an ongoing legal matter that had not been dealt with by the legal system should never have been put on the Bill in the first place. Big **** told about the Article on the Bill at 11.00pm on the Monday night prior to Up Helly Aa Day by a member of The Up Helly A Committee. What reaction did they expect? A well done boy`s? 15 angry Committee boys angry the Bill had to be changed and decide a 10 year Ban is an acceptable penalty. 15 Committee boys against 1 man. As far as I`m aware Big **** was unwell at the time the Article went on the Bill. What kind of a Committee is this? Certainly not a proffesional one.[/b]

Nah Nah... Get a grip! **** hasnt been the first to feature on the bill for a "criminal matter" and I am damn sure he winna be the last.

Many people have been on the bill and no found out until UHA morning.

As an ex-jarl I would have expected better behavior from him (IMHO). Like most things grin and bare it. No go round and behave like a spoiled child.

So am I reading he got a 10 year ban?

Serves him right, after his very public 2005 debacle and now trying to censor the bill, maybe he'll take the hint.

The bill has been critisised in the last few years for losing it's cutting edge humour - the very threat that someone can censor what's on the bill strikes at the very core of one of the most unique local features of the whole festival.

So am I reading he got a 10 year ban?

Serves him right, after his very public 2005 debacle and now trying to censor the bill, maybe he'll take the hint.

The bill has been critisised in the last few years for losing it's cutting edge humour - the very threat that someone can censor what's on the bill strikes at the very core of one of the most unique local features of the whole festival.

@ infiltrator

NO MATTER WHAT GOOD QUALITIES SOMEONE HAS, PEOPLE WILL STILL MANAGE TO ONLY NOTICE THE NEGATIVE.

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa