Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Wasn't Up Helly Aa good this year! Got away with the weather again with the rain holding off for the procession and burning. Good mixture of foreign visitors and tv crews around. Still a real pull... Saw Dan Snow recording a bit. The Viking theme certainly makes this a bit different and day goes for wis to.

I agree it was a great UHA this year! There's always something good about bad weather being forecast but the worst of it holding off for the procession.

The streaming seemed to work better for the folk I've spoken to who watched it. I'd imagine that's down to generally better infrastructure in Shetland. Anybody from outside Shetland have any experience of the stream?

I came a cropper this year was the traffic in the morning though. It was probably my own fault for not planning ahead but I had a terrible time trying to get around town. I managed to avoid the closed areas between the Legion and Bressay Ferry but the diverted routes were often reduced to single track roads with the amount of cars parked on-route, particularly Burgh Road. I'll know for next year!

I tried to watch the live streaming and had little luck. Last year I got a bit of buffering whilst this year it was so bad it was unwatchable. The junior procession ran without problem with no buffering, obviously less people watching it.

Checked speed at teatime was getting the usual 6.0 download speed, but when I checked it during the senior procession it had dropped to 0.2 so it's no wonder it was struggling. After the procession it quickly came back up to 5.5

I'm not far from my exchange, but it seems the system was struggling.

Pity 60 North didn't put it on YouTube, so that you could watch it later or the next day.

Congrats to 60 North and all the crew for beaming this around the world, but from me, no points to BT for the state of broadband. It's ironic that this could be clearly seen at the other side of the world, but not 10 miles away from the action.

• 1 year later...

The committee have always said that they don't ban women,they can't it would be illegal. They just say they never been asked. Remember a few years ago 2 women asked to go in the Common Ridings in the Borders, they took the organisers to court and won what had been a male exclusive privilege. I'm sure the same would happen in Lerwick if any woman pushed it through court.

The committee have always said that they don't ban women,they can't it would be illegal.

Simply not true. Can you clarify which law you claim would be infringed?

Remember a few years ago 2 women asked to go in the Common Ridings in the Borders,

Yes I do.

they took the organisers to court and won what had been a male exclusive privilege.

Not true either. Widely believed, but not true. If you check the facts you will find that they came to a fudged compromise whereby women would be permitted to ride at the back, behind the men. Ironically such a solution would now be considered illegal.

I'm sure the same would happen in Lerwick if any woman pushed it through court.

You are sure?  Well, I'm sure about this matter too, but I think I have reason to be surer than most.  Having read the legal texts and discussed details with relevant experts, I see no way Lerwick would be able to admit female guizers now. It is over.

Since the law changed in 2010 we have the remarkable situation where most of the Shetland UHAs infringe the law, but Lerwick is completely squeaky clean. It has to be.

Anyway, a lot of the men dress as women so, what's the problem... :thmbsup

Appendages. Those still present, and those still missing.

Lotions and Lubricants..  I'm sure that a compromise could be found somewhere along the way...

Anyway, I've heard that women can get an operation to rectify(?) that..  a "strapadictomy" I think it's called... :razz:

Edited by Colin

Anyway, a lot of the men dress as women so, what's the problem... :thmbsup

Appendages. Those still present, and those still missing.

Lotions and Lubricants..  I'm sure that a compromise could be found somewhere along the way...

Anyway, I've heard that women can get an operation to rectify(?) that..  a "strapadictomy" I think it's called... :razz:

Dammit, man. I was just about to go and look for some dinner....Gone right off the idea of food now, I have.

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa