Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

I don;t think women were ever stopped from being guizers, it was just that all the organisation was done by men from the early days in the 19th century.

Rules on who could be a guizer only came in during the 1970's when Shetland's population began to expand and too many incomers wanted to take part. At that time as a born bred Shetland male I couldn't be a guizer because I didn't live in Lerwick.

Females not being allowed is an urban myth. There is apparently nothing on the rule books to stop any female taking part, that much has been well thrashed out on here in the past.

There appears to be a perception, at least in some circles, that there is a constructive/circumstantial 'ban', whether real or imagined, due to no female ever having taken part, and apparently none are willing to try so far. That is not but making smoke without fire and a self-fulfilling prophecy.

*If* any female is willing to stand up and say 'I tried to join but was banned on gender grounds', then theres very defnitely a debate to be had, otherwise its nothing but smoke and mirrors.

AFAIK;

There are no women in squads because, quite simply, women do not get invited to join one.

Pretty much a "boys only" sort of thing.

There is no rule that states "women cannot take part" but, I suspect that there would be hell to pay (quietly) if one was allowed to join any squad.

There are women in the Brass Band, and make up some of the bands best players. Of course, this discussion has gone on for many years and as I understand it, there is no "law" or "rule" (or "udal law?" ha ha ), that prevents women joining, other than I believe women generally have more common sense than wasting a year standing in a cold shed building a boat they will burn once it's finished......just joking. The fire festivals are excellent, and they all seem to be run very well.

Guest Mr.Brown

I'm guessing that the choice of Amsterdam for a stag do would have very little to do with the architecture or history of the city or even the specific quality of their alcohol! That choice could be seen as one made by a "backward, sexist, misogynistic dinosaur". Maybe not the best argument for the case?!

The following is not the case:

Females not being allowed is an urban myth. There is apparently nothing on the rule books to stop any female taking part,.

I don't think anybody would disagree that male only guizing is an accepted custom of the Lerwick festival. The instruction

"it is the duty of each Guizer to conduct himself at all times in accordance with the “Spirit of Up-Helly-Aa” with goodwill and strict adherence to accepted customs."

is therefore quite clear.

Edited by EM

The following is not the case:

Females not being allowed is an urban myth. There is apparently nothing on the rule books to stop any female taking part,.

I don't think anybody would disagree that male only guizing is an accepted custom of the Lerwick festival. The instruction

"it is the duty of each Guizer to conduct himself at all times in accordance with the “Spirit of Up-Helly-Aa” with goodwill and strict adherence to accepted customs."

is therefore quite clear.

So, are you saying that despite the previous alleged official line', and widespread belief being 'there is no rule banning female participants', a ban on female participants does actually currently exist?

If so, has it existed for some time, and the belief it didn't was simply another myth, or has the rule been introduced recently?

While a current custom may be for only male guisers, customs are quickly and easily rendered obsolete by many types of circumstance, practicalities, challenges etc. UHA has seen numerous changes and an evolution over time, different procession routes, different burning sites etc. Prior to those changes the formers route, burning site etc could have equally been argued to be 'the custom', but those customs were cast aside for 'reasons', when the right reasons came along, as can any of the current customs be.

Any change in gender roles within UHA will have to come from the inside, and having the same old chestnut arguments trotted out every year by those outside UHA, when its been established they won't and can't, and indeed shouldn't change a damn thing, as its not the ousiders party, has gotten very irksome.

By all accounts all UHA participants, guisers, hostessess and guests, are either supportive of or at least happy to leave alone the gender defined roles currently in place, and the rest of folk need to accept that its not their business to interfere in it, and live with it. However, should the day come, as it very probably might, either sooner or later, that a significant percentage of participants are no longer content with gender defined roles, I'll put money on it that the 'custom' of male only guisers will go down the Swanee quicker than the the remnants of last nights curry when the chain is pulled.

I'm guessing that the choice of Amsterdam for a stag do would have very little to do with the architecture or history of the city or even the specific quality of their alcohol! That choice could be seen as one made by a "backward, sexist, misogynistic dinosaur". Maybe not the best argument for the case?!

I'm dunno, Mr. Brown. I think it could be argued that Amsterdam has a forward thinking and liberal reputation. They also have some excellent 'coffee' houses...  :razz:   

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa