Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Read it myself, and I am happy to agree with the Lady 100%.

The whole debate has been driven by far to much "screaming" in the "social media echo chamber", and fueled by cheap and inaccurate reporting.  Indignant sensationalism over content and a misplaced sense of "entitlement" will be the ruin of it.

I don't take part in Up Helly Aa, nor do I "contribute" in any way at all.  And, I don't "do" Facebook either.  It's just that I happen to believe that it should be left alone.

Want to be in a Fire Festival, there are 11 others to choose from.  If you  can get in....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pleased to see the SIC has clarified their position on this. It's the first time for a while any 'new information' has been introduced into the ongoing opinion based discussions.

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2019/05/01/sic-says-up-helly-aa-involvement-does-not-breach-equality-law/

In previous years the sexism discussion only came up around the time of Up Helly-Aa, but now it seems to be on-going on social media, and the 'traditional' local and national media seems intent on keeping the story current too.

It is a shame for those who want to guize but can't, but until there's a change in consensus amongst those involved (guizers, hosts and hostesses, and committee) and/or there's a change in legislation then I can't see the current situation changing. It is perhaps symptomatic of wider discussions around identity politics - in this instance a group of folk who are not currently involved to the extent they wish to be imposing their wishes on those who are involved and are happy with the situation? Who knows.

A change will probably come but I don't think that perpetually criticising those involved, or those who hold more traditional opinions, is helping and only seems to be causing positions to become ever more entrenched.

Don't see many men in the ladies football team or the ladies rowing, scottish women's institutes ect.

Could be the Lerwick Up Helly Aa is deemed as an "all male" event.

Where would a transexual fit into any of those scenarious   :ponders:

Isn't UHA allegedly at least equally as nepotistic as it is allegedly sexist, and aren't the two intertwined?

Even *if* UHA had female squad members, it would be the female friends and relatives of existing squad members first, random females with no connection to anyone already in a squad would have no more, or less chance of a squad place than random males in the same circumstances have right now. That's how it works, it's who you know, not who or what you are that discriminates between those 'chosen' and those not.

Edited by Ghostrider

This is going to upset some people but, if women want to be in UHA so badly.  Why don't they start their own event..? Don't see much point in a bunch of people who are not really "wanted" by the majority in any squad trying to force their way in regardless.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Despite the various legal muttering by a status quo proponent, I can’t understand why they don’t simply say there is no bar to females joining a squad. With the current rules it is unlikely a new squad would get in unless the festival had some unforeseen decline. Therefore it would take a considerable time before it gradually changed. Mind you, I reckon, most females are not daft enough to invest 15 years of savings and time on one big pi55up.

Last time I checked with the Ministry of Truth the concept of male and female is "transphobic and not inclusive"

The unnamed 17-year-old secretly filmed the moment he was reprimanded by a teacher at Mearns Academy in Aberdeenshire, who said his view on gender was not in line with school policy.

How can you amend a rule based on gender to include both genders when the idea of there being 2 genders is deeply offensive?

Sources:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-barred-pub-wearing-shirt-13821099
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/teenager-who-went-viral-after-arguing-with-his-teacher-that-there-are-only-two-genders-told-its-not-a4180816.html

Also giving "Reformers" an inch ensures they take a mile,

The poppy symbolizing Flanders fields and the fallen soldiers in the world wars is now being appropriated as an LGBT symbol.
Not because it has any relevance to the plight of the homosexual but because progressives want to take what they view as traditional symbol and “modernize” it as an act of cultural conquest.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/07/war-heros-anger-lgbt-rainbow-poppy-isnt-actually-poppy-11055899/

Same as how early Christians carved crosses into statues and monuments representing previous religions same as other areas that changed religion or were conquered, Yule was turned into Christmas etc

The "Progressives/intersectionalists" desire to change and assimilate existing traditions can to make conversions easier

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCNAFEJQDSFryq4qpAw

Here is a thing worthy of note

The Liberal Democrats have pledged to reform the Gender Recognition Act in their election manifesto, so it no longer includes a requirement for medical reports to be submitted and recognises non-binary gender identities. Applicants for passports would be able to fill in an "X gender option" under its plans.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07wys21

A few years ago people were accusing Japan of sterilizing transsexuals for simply not recognizing somebody who has not even got "the surgery" as having changed their gender.

What does this mean?

Ask Philip Bunce Stefonknee Wolscht!

lookat-me-iam-the-woman-now-look-at-me-2

• 3 weeks later...

I see the Sandwick Social Club has gotten an 8am licensing extension for Lerwick UHA Hop morning - https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2020/01/13/news-round-up-local-authority-funding-campaign-launched-uha-breakfast-gets-licensing-extension-new-multi-journey-ferry-ticket/

Seems a bit excessive, but I'm sure that there will be plenty of soothend guizers who will be blyed of a pint on their way home!

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa