Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Personally, I believe that UHA is only good for one thing - getting the Wednesday off work. Whilst I believe the procession itself is quite the spectacle, and I loved it as a kid, I think the rest of it is the weakest excuse to get totally mashed. If that's your thing then fine, but I don't need to plan a year/a few months in advance to do that, or spend all the cash on outfits for the occasion.

I'm more than happy for it to continue but I think as far as our viking heritage is concerned, I think something has been lost over time.

Folks, UHA is a big party that is all.

All the viking guff is just that. It stared with tar barrels and parties in houses etc, we now drag a big chinese dragon and burn that with bigger parties. That will change inmy view when the hall owners realise that is costs them a fortune to do it and actually causes damage.

An interesting debate.

Up Helly Aa is indeed just a big party. It is also the only party of its kind in the world. The Edinburgh Hogmanay Festival is 'just a party', but does that mean it should be forgotten about?

I reckon most of the halls that participate are happy for Up Helly Aa season. It gives them a full house for once a year. For a lot of places this is the only time of year it happens. For it to happen at the time of year it does is another miracle. Ask any hotelier, landlord or guesthouse owner their busiest time of year between the 3rd of January and April then they will probably at least mention Up Helly Aa.

For Shetland this brings in a whole tourist season when there would otherwise be nothing. Up Helly Aa at the end of the day is a business, and one that is doing remarkably well. Most, if not all, of the set-up, organisation, planning and deployment comes down to volunteers. It is not a profit-making exercise, but if it was then it could possibly be one of the most profitable that Shetland has.

It doesn't matter whether you agree/disagree, like/dislike Up Helly Aa. It is another part of Shetland that makes us different and helps to generate interest at a time of year when there would be no other.

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa