Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

i think there should be a law punishable by a hefty fine for people who misuse innocent words and turn them into words meaning something else.

Gay was a nice happy word. You don't feel able to use it in its proper maening these days. Black used to refer to a colour not a person. Soothmoother was a genuine descriptive word with only one meaning -

what other word have been detroyed by the pc brigade?

what other word have been detroyed by the pc brigade?

It is not the PC brigade who destroy words, it is the people who use them in a derogatory sense that do that.

The term 'soothmoother', when used to discriminate and express hate (the phrase was 'I hate soothmoothers') then it has been used in a derogatory sense.

Anyway, this is drifting off-topic... ;)

The term 'soothmoother', when used to discriminate and express hate (the phrase was 'I hate soothmoothers') then it has been used in a derogatory sense.

Exactly so. It was the way the term was used which led to the action, not just the word.

Soothmoother is no more derogatory than Geordie, or Scouser, or Cockney, and yes, I am a Soothmoother.

Excellent to hear such good sense. Your position is more common than some may realise.

If calling someone a 'soothmoother' is a crime worthy of being chucked off the committee, ....................

I think that anyone who is giving support to this guy surely couldn't have read the full article.

I saw on this forum the full content of what the ex committee member wrote on his Bebo site before the MODS edited it out.

A lot of people keep referring to it as if it was just by him using the word 'soothmoother' that the committee forced him to resign. If you could read what he actually wrote you would see there was a lot more to it than that.

Guest posiedon
Fjool

The term 'soothmoother', when used to discriminate and express hate (the phrase was 'I hate soothmoothers')

If this is the case then the offending word is surely hate and could have been used against any group of people.

How can you hate a large group of people collectively without even knowing them?

I kinda love the way that the Lerwick UHA evokes such strong feelings in people, you either love it or hate it.

I love the procession - and try not to think too much about how seriously some folk are about the whole thing.

The article in Shetland Life a while back still makes me laugh when I think about it. (the one where he wrote about if UHA was new idea being presented to the council - problems with H & S and equal ops etc). I'm laughing thinking about it - think I will go and hunt it out now for a read!

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa