Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

It's a great excuse for time off work and school (when sooth) as it's "cultural", therefore a perfectly good and legal reason for pulling your child out of school for most of a week. Having child thump her way through the house at the moment cause she didn't get a day off school to go and watch it all, where as the neighbours' kid did. She did last year(when we lived south), it's not fair!

been checking out the forcast for tonight and it seems the norse gods are going to show their contempt for the for the way the committee stabbed one of their own in the back.

since when were real vikings worried about the opinion of folk they should be beating up and robbing :twisted:

Their supposed to be VIKINGS for pootle sake :roll:

I mean what is this world comming to, standards are dropping every day I tell you, when a viking can't even cause offence far less pillage :lol: :lol:

Anyone have any thoughts on this years UHA.

Great outfits - loved the noise they made as they walked!

Went to the museum to see them this afternoon - really good, very relaxed visit - chatting away to the squad members. The museum was not as busy as I expected - a few tourists - seemed to be made up of mostly family n friends.

Procession seemed to go well - excellent weather (peerie bit breezy at some points along the route). Couldn't get in the park after the burning this year, bit of a shame - but overall seemed an excellent time was had by all.

Guest Anonymous

We managed get a few pictures at Shetlopedia.

http://shetlopedia.com/Lerwick_Up_Helly-Aa_2008

But if anybody out there has any more we'd be delighted to add them to the collection.

We're going to try to build as much info as we can, with as many pictures as possible, and see if we can make an article which is a bit more extensive than the normal Up Hell Aa tourist blurb.

Pictures and details of the squads would be particularly welcome.

Cheers,

Robbie

http://www.Shetlopedia.com

I liked the suits this year - glad not to see any crushed velvet! I thought the helmet design was particularly good. And the jingly sound they made as they walked just added to the overall effect.

Galley was nicely understated and the bill head picture was pretty darned good too.

I would say it was a really good night. Pretty much all the halls seemed to be lively all night long. The night seemed to go pretty well all round. Did find that we were waiting to get into halls for longer than we have done for quite a few years, but maybe we just hit it unlucky. It didnt really bother us as we were having a good carry on anyhow.

Excellent weather for it too through the day and for the proccession. I thought the Jarl Squad suit was amazing. Really different and all seemed to work well. It's difficult to come up anything original these days, but full marks to Roy and his squad.

I was pretty drunk too! But still remember what went on!

Didnt see very many squad acts, so I cant comment on that. Anyone else care to comment on the squads? Any particularly good ones this year?

Most of the acts were pretty much the same as what you've seen year after year. :(

I liked the High school Musical basketball act, cos it was something a little bit different from the rest and theyd obviously put in a lot of effort beforehand perfecting their ball control. Wonder how many balls were left at the end of the night. :lol:

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa