Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Anyone see the midget gems act - the small guys doing the dance routine in the big black box?

By far the best act of the night, and something else I noticed, it was the same squad who did the clowns with the huge bursting baloon act last year! Looks like some guizers try and think up something special, while the majority just do whatever is easiest.

We totally enjoyed ourselves. We all managed to stay untill the last act had been in around 8am. :shock:

We all thought the procesion was fantastic. I even got a dance with a jarl squad man. 8)

I liked a lot of the acts but cant remember there names.

One of the very first acts at the Town hall was the basketball players. I think they were hard act to follow. Fast act with catchy music and blokes in shorts and vests. :P The miget gems were good too.

Anyone see the midget gems act - the small guys doing the dance routine in the big black box?

By far the best act of the night,

Yep, definitely the best act I saw.

The singing of "Another brick in the wall" by the youngsters in the new AHS skit was also impressive.

We totally enjoyed ourselves. We all managed to stay untill the last act had been in around 8am. :shock:

We all thought the procesion was fantastic. I even got a dance with a jarl squad man. 8)

I liked a lot of the acts but cant remember there names.

One of the very first acts at the Town hall was the basketball players. I think they were hard act to follow. Fast act with catchy music and blokes in shorts and vests. :P The miget gems were good too.

So glad you enjoyed yourself SighthillSal. :D

see you next year ?? :wink:

The photos on Shetland News are excellent!

I thought the Bill was quite funny as well - especially the bit about the Charitable Trust reformers at the bottom.

Especially not that bit, IMHO; just too nasty to be funny. Maybe the Jokes Committee needs reforming. Not to mention the torch boys: whose bright idea was it to (allegedly) mix some diesel into the paraffin? We could hardly breathe.

Stunning galley, though.

Not to mention the torch boys: whose bright idea was it to (allegedly) mix some diesel into the paraffin? We could hardly breathe.

There was actually a clearly thought out purpose for this, as well as comparative tests of the cocktail used. Basically, the composition of the "paraffin" available has changed over the years. It burns faster than the old stuff. Their intention with the addition of the diesel was to moderate the early burn and reduce torch burn-out. The smoke was indeed excessive and unwanted, so new recipes will no doubt be tried.

Stunning galley, though.

Classy BRG.

Any ideas for the excessive delay at the start of the procession?

A good 5-8 minutes must've elapsed before the procession moved off singing the Up Helly Aa song :wink:

Sure my torch would've been a lot healthier by the time we made the park if we'd got there 5 min earlier.

Also thought the singing of the Norseman's Home was fairly muted this year :(

Saw in The Times that someone had stuff knicked out the back of their lorry around 10pm outside Sound.

I too had my booze bag stolen from same area at same time. Wasn't too bothered about it (thanks to genorisity of fellow squad members)....until the next day when I remembered there was a mini-DV recording of the 2007 UHA also in the stolen bag :x

If anyone knows who these rats were then please get them shopped to the local constabulary!!

It's a sad fact that some of the vehicles are now locked up at halls. There was always an element of rogues grabbing a few cans, but mobile phones and personal items are different. They should be soundly threshed!

There were neds hanging around the legion too, with their hoodies up, i was all ready to yock a haad o them if they tried anything. I heard tell that one of them asked a squad member if they could buy a case of lager, fair enough, but when declined his answer was 'well f*** you then ya bassa!', ah the children of the town today. i blame the parents. :wink:

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa