Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Anybody had a preview of what the suits will be like?, or where they're getting the squad photo taken today?

I saw a few of them after they got back from having their photo's taken earlier tonight.

I'm not going to spoil the surprise, other than to say they're a bit more traditional than the last couple of years. I quite liked them.

Saw them yesterday too! Looking very good.

Back to the way Jarl squads used to be made. Less glitz - in my opinion a good thing!

Hollywood Vikings not this time - maybe next year!!

All the best. Can almost smell the parafin already!!!!!

Yipeeeeeeee.....................

I'd like to wish you all a good night for Up Helly Aa and hope you all enjoy yourselves.

I too prefer the tradional Viking approach, I prefer rook's wings, much better than faces of bears, etc, or worse - horns.

Good Luck to Steven Mouat the Guizer Jarl, to his team and everybody else connected with this years festival. I look forward to seeing the photo's on one of the websites etc.

I too prefer the tradional Viking approach, I prefer rook's wings, much better than faces of bears, etc, or worse - horns.

Shame they didn't actually wear rooks wings(or ravens for that matter)

more likely to have seen a viking with horns.....at least that's what I was always taught.

Absolutely right Soljey

Although horned helmets are in popular culture often associated with Vikings, there is no evidence that Viking Age Scandinavians have ever worn them. The attribution probably arose in 19th century Swedish Romanticism.
however in the 19th century the winged helmet became widely used to depict ancient Celtic, Germanic and Viking warriors. It was also used in romantic illustrations of legendary Norse gods and heroes. The motif, along with the Horned helmet, became a clichéd signifier of the "barbarian" Northern warrior.

Saw them yesterday too! Looking very good.

Back to the way Jarl squads used to be made. Less glitz - in my opinion a good thing!

Hollywood Vikings not this time - maybe next year!!

All the best. Can almost smell the parafin already!!!!!

Yipeeeeeeee.....................

I like the suits aswell :D :lol:

They are a bit of a break in the mould. Very traditional with a modern twist.

Ohh 13 hours to go :roll:

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa