Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

The other change was in the hessian. The torches used to include old pre-used bags. Due to the changes in modern agriculture, these are similarly unavailable. The hessian in the old bags was fluffier due to wear and tear, so the torch wicking behaviour was different to today's which use brand new hessian. I am of the opinion that it is the use of new hessian which is reducing the burn duration rather than the fuel mix, but I'm certainly not a hydrocarbon expert.

Pre used packsheet bags, although appearing for all intents and purposes to be clean, almost certainly had some degree of impregnation of whatever they'd contained during use, which would also have varied their combustion properties. Wasn't it used to be a "condition" of particpating in UHA that each guizer had to provide one bag? I remember it being that way for the peerie UHA in the mid 70's anyway. Obtaining them in such a way would have provided a very diverse spread of quality, pre-use purpose, etc etc, which stood a better chance of there just being a few "bad" torches. Wheras using from one source now as now, if the hessian quality/fuel mix is "right" it'll be near perfect, but if its "wrong" in any way, the number of duds will be high.

Does all imported coffee beans now come in woven plastic bags? That used to be the last major user of hessian. Commercial potato seed suppliers I would think still use hessian bags, as there were issues with deterioration when woven plastic was used for that. Probably not the best for torches though, as they tended to use the poorer quality thinner hessian, and were relatively small.

Wasn't it used to be a "condition" of particpating in UHA that each guizer had to provide one bag? I remember it being that way for the peerie UHA in the mid 70's anyway.

It was indeed the case for the peerie UHA that each bairn had to provide a bag. The junior used to be a school run project. The galley construction could be school funded as it was used to teach traditional boat building skills. The torches, on the other hand, were freely made by the senior festival torch boys, as they still are. The provision of a bag from each guizer went towards reducing the cost to the UHA committee. I have no idea if there was ever a similar system of "bring your own bags" for the senior festival.

Obtaining them in such a way would have provided a very diverse spread of quality, pre-use purpose, etc etc,

My memory was that many (perhaps most) were old peat bags. With the worn fibres and accumulated peat dust, such would surely have been optimal. Nowadays I expect few people use hessian for peats.

• 3 months later...
From Japanese hula dancers to Javanese capoeira performers, belly dancers and Balinese musicians, the festival was a showcase of world cultures, topped off by a spectacular finale of fireworks and the burning of a Viking ship — a Gaelic tradition known as Up Helly Aa, commemorating the arrival of Vikings in Scotland in the 8th century.

Hmm, "Gaelic"?

Source: Jakarta Globe

• 3 weeks later...

Oh for the joys of translation software!

I recently encountered the following bizarre UHA review:

http://www.inflatable-kids-bouncers.com/inflatable-toys-canada-right-up-helly-aa.html

The site is one of those which have loads of irrelevant pages on various topics designed to pull in search engines. These pages are generally scraped from blogs. In this case the original article has been translated from English to a different language and then back into "English." The resulting text contains some highly amusing passages. For example:

Your disciplined and greatly impressive mustering involving the positions sees the huge, blazing torches connected with the squads inside of a contra-flow with the Jarl Team, the galley and the Lerwick Metal Band shifting forwards amongst.
The squads create in the taking part in field for the ejaculation:...
...followed in place with This Norseman’s Residential.
Up Helly Aa Song

Words from JJ Haldane Burgess

Music just by Thomas Manson

From huge old Viking years Up Helly Aa features come,

Therefore light the flashlight and variety the april, and sensible the in business drum:

And get up the awesome memories in heroes which were dumb;

Typically the waves are generally rolling regarding.

Chorus

Grand out of date Vikings dictated upon the coean wide,

Their heroic battle-songs yet thunder for the send;

Their old war-cry comes along a -ringing out of the former:

We reply to it “A-oi! “

Roll his or her’s glory along the years,

Sons from warriors and sages,

When the argue for Liberation rages,

Be exciting and strong like they!

:wink:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't take this the wrong way 'Up helly Aa' hardcore’s but is it just me that thinks it's strange to celebrate the fact that some Vikings popped over and forced themselves on a few hairy local women?

90+% of people probably don't have any more Viking blood in their veins than Mr Barrack Obama.

As for the arrogant, idiotic Jarl who felt obliged to demand free fish suppers for his squad, well, that's ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong though, it makes for a decent show and an excuse for the local youth to binge drink. 8)

Roll on Tuesday!

hairy local women?

PSML :lol:

If this is your experience - you sure they were women?

p.s. The origins of Up Helly Aa has little (well nothing actually) to do with Vikings, it was originally just a good excuse for a pi55 up, complete with guns and setting fire to things - the adoption of Vikings came later.

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa