Parcel force

Argon

On Shetland Do the post office deliver parcel force parcels or is it someone else

Well the postman delivers my parcel force items, but beware parcel force has a surcharge on many items to the Northern Isles although I was under the belief that we still had a universal charging  system in the UK..

I have never had a parcel force item delivered on time ....a lways a day or six late ..i can prove it by feed back to seller 

delivery to the isles is a joke ..not that i mind as long as it arrives 

I have had some remarkable service from Parcel Force so no complaints there as such,my only complaint is this ridiculous pricey surcharge carry on with items to the Northern Isles.

I find that some post offices , especially in rural England, appear to charge us as offshore island eg channel isles, but they shouldn't charge us extra. It would be worth keeping a note if you are charged more and ask nicely at a local post office if it is correct. Generally the Royal Mail parcel force service has been extremely fast for delivery to and from me. The other couriers however seem to use 1 boat a week and then if unlucky you have to wait up to another week for a local weekly delivery service. So it can be quick but usually takes over a week.

Edited by Rasmie

If you use the Parcelforce website quote facility, it comes up with exactly the same prices to post a 5kg package from Shetland to either Wick, Northampton or Plymouth: £12.98

The price from Plymouth to Shetland is also the same as above - and the price from Shetland to Shetland is the same as well.

Also, the price from Plymouth to Northampton is exactly the same price as quoted above so, as far as I can see, sending a parcel internally in England is no more costly than sending a parcel internally in Shetland, or from Shetland to the UK and vice versa.

http://www.parcelforce.com/price-finder

Edited by Scorrie

If you use the Parcelforce website quote facility, it comes up with exactly the same prices to post a 5kg package from Shetland to either Wick, Northampton or Plymouth: £12.98

The price from Plymouth to Shetland is also the same as above - and the price from Shetland to Shetland is the same as well.

Also, the price from Plymouth to Northampton is exactly the same price as quoted above so, as far as I can see, sending a parcel internally in England is no more costly than sending a parcel internally in Shetland, or from Shetland to the UK and vice versa.

http://www.parcelforce.com/price-finder

Must admit I thought the same but here is the response from a recent order :-

Hi

We would usually use Parcelforce24 to dispatch this item but due to your location they would apply a £7.00 surcharge here. What we can do is use an alternative courier and an economy service which will be at no extra cost but will take 3-4 working days rather than being the next day service we usually provide. I hope the slightly longer delivery time will not cause you any inconvenience. 

Apologies that this was not flagged up when you placed you order - we have spoken to Amazon but unfortunately they have not been able to come up with any solution so far.

Possible as already suggested this applys to buisness only.

If someone walks into a Post Office and sends a Parcel it costs exactly the same whether you send it next door or to the furthest reaches of the UK.

However if you are a business and you take a contract with Parcelforce/RoyalMail, then depending on where you are sending you get either more or less favourable rates based on the amount of Parcels they deliver in a particular area.

For instance in centre of Glasgow they may deliver 20 parcels to the same street. All done in a few minutes. So it works out cheaper

Delivering 20 parcels in Shetland may entail several hours. You therefore pay extra for this and it is more expensive.

If you were a business would you rather have a cheaper deal to delivery to a possible 600,000 people in Glasgow at the expense of 22,000 in Shetland? 

If someone walks into a Post Office and sends a Parcel it costs exactly the same whether you send it next door or to the furthest reaches of the UK.

However if you are a business and you take a contract with Parcelforce/RoyalMail, then depending on where you are sending you get either more or less favourable rates based on the amount of Parcels they deliver in a particular area.

For instance in centre of Glasgow they may deliver 20 parcels to the same street. All done in a few minutes. So it works out cheaper

Delivering 20 parcels in Shetland may entail several hours. You therefore pay extra for this and it is more expensive.

If you were a business would you rather have a cheaper deal to delivery to a possible 600,000 people in Glasgow at the expense of 22,000 in Shetland? 

The simple truth is that most of us could not afford to live in these islands if we were not subsidised.

If we all had to pay the real cost of postage,freight,NHS ,Ferry Travel,Telephone ect ect few of us could survive.

But I get your point ,better to deliver 50 items in Lerwick than possibly 1 in Fair Isle.

"We aw hae tae help en a nidder " so the cost has to be spread among wis aw.