EU v UK

Redrobbie99

It seems certain now that the SNP will have a new independence referendum . The choice facing Shetland will be an independent Scotland with a promise of a fast track into the EU or remain part of the UK outside the EU . Which will be the best choice for Shetland ? .

Well, the SNP are a one trick pony and they do insist on attempting to brainwash us mere voters until we see things their way!  If they want to waste a load of money having a referendum yet again, they might do well to consider that Westminster may not give a flying rat's bum about it and totally ignore the outcome.  In other words, Westminster would have to vote as to whether or not they would agree to do what was in the best interests of the nations.  I hope May tells Sturgeon to go spin on it if she hasn't already done so; Nicola might want to waste the dosh, May probably doesn't.

How likely is Scotland would get into the EU any way?

I fear the EU will be devalued without the UK and looks like it is heading for trouble.

Don't really fancy the Euro either.

I suspect that even less people will support Indyref. Too many ties with rUK for a lot of people.

If the central beltists don't have the English to blame for their misery they will probably turn on themselves.

In the Scottish independence referendum Shetland voted 37% to 63% to stay in the UK and in the EU referendum the vote was 43% to 57% to stay in the EU . Clearly in a future referendum Shetlanders would have to choose from one of these . We can't have both now which one is it to be ? or could there be a third choice ? 

Edited by Redrobbie99

• 2 weeks later...

Her Majesty's Treasury can tell me what it likes. Her Majesty herself can tell me what she likes too, Skorrie. They'll get nowhere as I don't recognize any form of royalty, and despise royalty with huge Germanic roots. The English were well known for giving 19/6 for a Scottish pound note. I just refuse the English ones. They're not worth tuppence.

The referendum on membership of the EU was set up by Westminster for the UK as a whole and the result therefore has to be accepted by the UK of which Scotland is a member.

Surely as the result requires leaving the UK the government should be allowed to get on with the negotiations without having another referendum in the middle of it. If Scotland does not like the result of the negotiations, (which given their history is quite probable), surely the SNP can accept having a referendum then.

The SNP can then, if successful in their obsession with independence, negotiate their own terms with the EU without any interference from a Westminster government that they find so distasteful. They can negotiate their own terms on immigration, trade, and currency. They will probably have to join the euro, but given their leanings favouring Europe rather than the UK, that should be no problem.

Now what can be wrong with that? The UK government can get on with the Brexit that the UK have voted for without the distraction of yet another referendum, and the SNP can have their vote after. If they win that vote they can set their own course for the future.

There are way over 90% of UK fishermen who are concerned about these upcoming negotiations and who wish to be out of the EU. They hope for a positive result regarding curtailing foreign vessel access to our very valuable fishing grounds, leaving the EU is the only chance we have. That access is hugely important to Brussels.

The SNP will bow to Brussels on this very easily in their obsession with the single market, even though the UK market is worth many times more. Open the door to Europe and build a hard border with England, what a prospect!