EU v UK

Redrobbie99

Being part of an independent Scotland is a gamble, that is unlikely to improve our lot in Shetland.

The reality is that we probably have more rights and freedom than any other country. We are allowed to moan and whinge and complain about our country and government in the safe knowledge that we won't be called to task for it.

God help us if independence becomes a reality if the way that the Scottish Parliament is handling the devolved powers with regards to the NHS are anything to go by then we do not have much to look forward to in the future do we.

Could someone tell me what advantages folk have in the rest of the UK that we do not have here in Scotland,because I fail to see why we need all those major changes,when just a little more funding within the existing system surely would be enough without spending unnecessary money to create a new system that would probably give us even less.

Possibly I am lucky but I am not suffering to badly at all under this present regime! but dread to think what the future might bring if Sturgeon stays at the helm  steering Scotland to total destruction..

Edited by Urabug

Better the Devil you know perhaps. The Scottish Government already has considerable powers, not that its done anything noticeable to help us.

As for Denmark and Norway, nice countries, nice people but no evidence we'd be any better off.

From I hear great places as long as you have a good work ethic, and speak the language.

At the end of the day it will come down to personal choice and loyalty to a cause.

If Shetland became independent in its own right, then we wouldn't be thinking about this. Then again, we wouldn't be feeding or financing mainland UK either. Therefore, our own earnings and all relative finances would remain our own. It wouldn't continue to be bled out of us, for no justifiable reason. We would be in a position to fish for our own fish without every other countries fishing boat bobbing about a hundred yards offshore of Scalloway. We would be earning our own monies from oil and all the rest and we wouldn't have to put up with the manic, parasitical control merchants that inhabit Westminster. Remember, it's us that feed them and not the other way around.

Edited by George.

George, considering the catastrophic decisions that have been made over the years up here, the endless list of financial fiascos, the waste of millions.....Do you really believe we could efficiently run these islands as an independent nation?

It may be a nice idea, an optimist's dream, but hey George look at the reality.

Better wait to see what kind of deal we get out of Brexit, we have a chance of getting back some control of the fishing. You can be sure the manic SNP will hand that over to Europe again so please God leave them out of the equation.  

George, considering the catastrophic decisions that have been made over the years up here, the endless list of financial fiascos, the waste of millions.....Do you really believe we could efficiently run these islands as an independent nation?

It may be a nice idea, an optimist's dream, but hey George look at the reality.

Better wait to see what kind of deal we get out of Brexit, we have a chance of getting back some control of the fishing. You can be sure the manic SNP will hand that over to Europe again so please God leave them out of the equation.  

I do believe that Shetland will benefit from Brexit but Shetland on its own could do very well. Look at the Faeroes, they have no oil. But they do have fishing, sheep etc, etc, and they do very well. We have all that and more. Yes, there have been utterly catastrophic decisions made over the years but we don't need to feed the leaches.

Relying on oil revenue is a complete non-starter.

Yes Scorrie, it would be totally wrong to rely solely on oil. Oil, and gas too, is no than another asset for Shetland to work with and benefit from, as and when it remains available. Shetland works and Britain benefits. It would be better if Shetland worked and Shetland benefited. London works and who benefits, apart from London?

Edited by George.

Going for a self governing crown dependancy  like the Isle of man would be the best bet for Shetland . If they can do it why not us ?.

Oh yes, the Isle of Man. Yet another prime example of regal theocracy. I wonder how much of queen liz's (Note that it's all lower case ;) ) money is held there? More than is held here, for tax reasons of course.

We need to break free, we need to become our own nation, we need to get rid of the parasites and leaches 100%.

Edited by George.

Independent Shetland??

With a council that votes to hold it's meetings in private, that would be a dictatorship wouldn't it?

And with a planning department accountable to nobody?

A legal system based on law it makes up itself to suit it's own purpose?

Who exactly would be charge the Guizar Jarls?

This could be more frightening than what we already have.

I think you mean 'leech' George, there's no 'a' in it..... It's a sucker George like who those believe all the SNP spin....

Thank you for correcting my spelling.

Independent Shetland??

With a council that votes to hold it's meetings in private, that would be a dictatorship wouldn't it?

And with a planning department accountable to nobody?

A legal system based on law it makes up itself to suit it's own purpose?

Who exactly would be charge the Guizar Jarls?

This could be more frightening than what we already have.

If Shetland were to go it alone, what would the S.I.C continue to be doing? The government would have to be voted in and, I'm sure that you would agree, Shetland is not big enough to have both its own government and the S.I.C which has been inflicted upon us for all these decades, centuries, whatever.

Edited by George.