Definitely, actually moving to Shetland

lupine

Hi all,

My partner and I came up to Shetland last Easter, and again this February. We've had an offer on a house on the Shetland mainland accepted, and it's fair to say we're pretty excited about it! All things going well, we should be here in April or May.

I'm bringing my job with me - software stuff, work from home, all very 21st century. Obviously, the first thing I do with a new place is find a forum for it :P. Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Yes! Fibre (or the lack of it, rather) ruled out quite a few nice houses, but the place we've settled on has better internet than back home in Yorkshire :). Had to go into town today and work, it was off all day *grumble grumble*.

No Facebook for me. I wouldn't say I'm on the paranoid side, but others might :D.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Lupine have you settled in yet? Me and my husband are thinking about moving to Shetland.

Have only visited once but have been to the North West Highlands and other Scottish Islands and have been talking about a move north for some time now but were blown away by the friendliness of everyone and the feeling that people are generally happy in Shetland.

There are a number of reasons we want to make the move. We currently live in London and my husband is disabled and has no life and I am working long hours. We can come up mortgage free and I would try and find work when I get there. We have taken the weather conditions into account and the distance from family. Basically there is nothing to keep us where we are.

Am I being too unrealistic. Any advice anyone could provide would be appreciated.  

There still seem to be plenty of jobs at the moment in Shetland. If you are planning to buy there seems to be a few properties available.

One thing I suggest is don't be seduced by the romantic idea of a cottage miles from anywhere. A property that seems a dream come true on a summers day can turn into a nightmare when the rain is lashing down and the wind is threatening to lift your roof because there is no shelter. Or you can't get out because the council doesn't grit the 1 in 10 hill that is the only access. Or your car breaks down and you have to walk miles to get the one bus a day that goes to town.