To Tan or not to Tan

BigMouth

Where's the proof that skin cancer is caused by the sun most of the research that shows a link has been funded by the sunscreen industry. Why is skin cancer on the increase when people are spending less time outdoors?

What happened before sunscreen?

What about vitamin D deficiency?

Tanning is the skin natural sunscreen if you go out on a sunny day uncovered and you don't already have a tan you will get burnt, build up a tan slowly from the start of the spring and you won't get burnt. If you put on sunscreen you will be putting harmful substances on your skin which will be absorbed into your body.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the proof that skin cancer is caused by the sun most of the research that shows a link has been funded by the sunscreen industry. Why is skin cancer on the increase when people are spending less time outdoors?

Universities and other bodies have researched this and found that exposure to the sun (or sunbeds) in excessive amounts causes skin cancer.

People are spending mre time outdoors topping up their tans or in the unregulated tanning salon!

Why is skin cancer on the increase when people are spending less time outdoors?

the environment is certainly not in the same condition as it was years ago...*cough*ozone hole *cough*

perhaps the fact new technologies make it easier to diagnose and treat this type of cancer adds to the awareness of it. and not that it did not exsist before they found out of to find it...

I sometimes envy people who tan easily and I hate that I always seem to manage to be the whitest but if I tanned well I might be tempted to overdo it and harm my skin. It's when people ask me if I'm ill that I wish I was tanned. One time this black guy I met said to me,"God, you're so white, I can see everything!"(meaning my insides!) I'm surely almost transparent! I've tried fake tan a couple of times but it went orange and stripey both times. A bit of make up helps on the face but not much use if you're a guy. It's true though that we do need some sun and I think in Shetland in the winter it can be a good plan to go for one blast on the sunbed every few weeks. It won't tan you but it'll make you feel great like you've had your batteries recharged. :)

perhaps the fact new technologies make it easier to diagnose and treat this type of cancer adds to the awareness of it. and not that it did not exsist before they found out of to find it...

When I said What happened before sunscreen? I was meaning What did people do when they were out in the sun? Did they just get burnt all the time?

Dr Mario Slaus of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts in Zagreb, carried out tests on the skeletal remains of more than 3,000 individuals for evidence of neoplasms - uncontrolled and abnormal tissue growth.

The bones in the academy collection dated from 5,300 BC to the 19th century AD and had been collected from archaeological sites across Croatia.

"The change from these 'old' illnesses to 'modern' ones such as cancer can be seen as part of the evolution of our society, but as with the 'old' illnesses we can go some way to combating the 'modern' illness of cancer through educating people about the risks of the disease and encouraging them to adopt a healthy lifestyle," said Dr Slaus.

Healthy options

Cancer Research UK said it was no surprise to find a low incidence of cancer in a collection of individuals whose average age of death was 35 years.

The charity's science information officer Dr Elaine Vickers said: "Cancer is primarily a disease of older people, as it is generally the result of the DNA damage that accumulates over a person's lifetime.

"In fact, 65% of cancers occur in people over 65 years of age.

"As the average life expectancy in the UK has almost doubled since the mid-19th century, the population at risk of cancer has also grown.

"Our risk of cancer is also influenced by our environment and lifestyle.

"For example, smoking is the single largest cause of cancer, and the mass-production of cigarettes only began in the late 19th century.

"You can reduce your risk of cancer by not smoking, eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, reducing your alcohol intake, maintaining a healthy body weight, and protecting your skin from the harmful effects of the sun."

As the average life expectancy in the UK has almost doubled since the mid-19th century, the population at risk of cancer has also grown

Dr Elaine Vickers, Cancer Research UK

Not dissing your point turrifield, just pointing out that "Before sunscreen" people had a habit of dying before the disease had a chance to develop. Sunscreen may well be full of carcinogens for all i know, but the answer to your question is, people didn't live very long, and also, they wore hats.

Personally, i tan quite easily, but burn if i overdo it, even in Shetaklnd, so i tend to wear a hat, or put sunblock on the tops of me lugs, where i burn :oops: