DAB Radio Westside

Frances144

Thanks, Shevans.  I think you can get DAB in some parts of Shetland.  They sell the radios in the Camera Centre.

Come over and visit the Minions some time.  Give me a shout first.  They will all be home hopefully this summer (at the moment, they are 2 miles down the road, except for Newt and Albie who live at home).

Meh. Never mind and thank you for your input.

What happens when UK goes digital? Will we just sit here with nuffink?

Probably! Need a nice new cold war and then there might be some investment :)

Trooters suggestion of using Internet radio is probably the easiest, I use the Tunein service and it lists literally thousands and thousands of stations.

Edited by shevans

I've just been googling the future of digital radio and it seems that the changeover is very slow. I did read something a while ago to the effect that digital radio is now considered old technology. In the fullness of time we will be listening to radio via 5g on our phones.

I've just been googling the future of digital radio and it seems that the changeover is very slow. I did read something a while ago to the effect that digital radio is now considered old technology. In the fullness of time we will be listening to radio via 5g on our phones.

That'll be great. Here in Northmavine we only get 3g on our 4g phones and no doubt we'll still only get 3g when they bring in 5g. If we want to listen to the radio by 5g we'll have to get it by postcard and ask somebody to read it to us. Or sing it to us, if they can stay in tune.

I bought my first DAB radio about 15 years ago.  I didn't know it but I was living on the periphery of the reception area at the time, but managed to get half a dozen stations when the wind was in the right direction.  On arrival in the People's Republic of Shetland I found that there were no stations receivable in my abode in north mainland - a pox on your Scottish county!  Just joking  :rofl: 

With no broadband/TV/Virgin/Sky and whatever else absorbs people's time, I just get the radio out of the box every year and stare longingly at it.

I seem to recall that DAB was something to do with the BBC, and you are pretty much guaranteed that anything they do will be expesive and probably not work for long, despite the billions they get in TV licence fees.