Domestic Violence

134 cases of domestic abuse were reported in Shetland in 2015-16 and a high number of children on the child protection register in Shetland are there as a result of domestic abuse. What will you do to tackle domestic abuse and combat deep routed misogyny in Shetland society?

our council has form for creating fictional situations or trumping up non-situations for reasons best known to themselves

Do you two have previous form or are you randomly selecting the council for bashing in this instance?

two?

yes i do a couple of years back i was reported by one council department to another council department as a victim of abuse

why and based on what i have no clue as nothing was going on and theyd never met me

before this ends in the usual turdstorm

if the 134 are reports are by a victim or by an independent first hand witness of an actual event thats fine we have a big problem

however

housing staff can make an abuse report based on whatever reason they think fit

nhs staff can make an abuse report based on whatever they think fit

eduation staff can make an abuse report based on whatever they think fit

social services can make an abuse report based on whatever they think fit

none of these need to be based on anything more than suspicion or adding two and two and making twenty two

if the 132 includes all of the latter where no action was needed its a grossly inflated figure which is deeply insulting to folk who for no reason in particular have had a finger pointed at them by the council and a gross disservice to genuine victims who are being overlooked and short changed while resources are being wasted needlessly

I think it's a good thing that people can report suspected violence and abuse without corroboration. If there is nothing going on then the people concerned have nothing to worry about. If there is something going on then hopefully the right support and help will be forthcoming.

Bigmouth, is interesting that you pose the question yet do not answer it yourself. So what will you do?

Firstly, my posts here are my opinions and not those of my employer, just in case anyone feels the need to complain to them (again!)

I always treat numbers with suspicion especially when they are being spouted by the political class, and especially around election time.

The most intriguing thing for me was the "deep routed misogyny in Shetland society".

I think it's a good thing that people can report suspected violence and abuse without corroboration. If there is nothing going on then the people concerned have nothing to worry about. If there is something going on then hopefully the right support and help will be forthcoming.

Bigmouth, is interesting that you pose the question yet do not answer it yourself. So what will you do?

youre missing half the equation

what you state is the positive side but theres an equal negative side

when folk make false reports for purely malicious reasons which is particularly despicable when they are made by pubic servants for no other apparent reason than theyre abusing the legislation to exert pressure on someone regarding a wholly unconnected issue

I'm not missing the negative side at all. I didn't refer to it, but I didn't need to, as you had already focused on that to the exclusion of the positive side.

I'm merely restoring balance.

fair enough nothing wrong with uncorroborated reporting IF the next level in the chain is competent and fair

i chose to concentrate on the shortcomings only as the op was concentrating on the apparently high number of reports and tried to make the point that those figures were skewed if not worthless as one link in the chain appears incompetent and to be misusing their position 

No, I am not.

I read an article on www.meninist.net this morning about a male rape survivor who rang a rape crisis hotline to seek help and was allegedly told "men are the attackers, women are the victims".

It is a matter of public record that the only formal domestic violence service in Shetland is Women's Aid. There is no Men's Service. A smaller problem perhaps? That could be the only reason that half the male population have no service on Shetland. Actually they do have a service, but it is in Aberdeen. I know of at least one refuge in Shetland, and there is no reason why it could not accommodate a man, and his kids if necessary. In a decade I have never seen a man in there.

This is a classic example of how men are treated these days. Another is genital mutilation. Earlier this year the world got a female genital mutilation campaign (FGM). The World Health Organisation seemed to be leading this. There was not a mention of male genital mutilation, and when I contacted organisations both in and outside of the UK about this, they really didn't want to speak on the subject. I read on the WHO site that male circumcision is not considered to be mutilation. So it would appear that a scalpel to female genitals is mutilation, whereas a scalpel to male genitals isn't.

In this WHO document - http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/43749/1/9789241596169_eng.pdf- when talking about circumcision, "All studies reported a fear of infection, bleeding, excessive pain and possible mutilation at the hands of traditional circumcisers". Note the word POSSIBLE in that sentence.

I stood at the war memorial in Lerwick today and saw a list of hundreds of men whose lives were sacrificed by politicians. How thoroughly depressing. When someone tells me that they find the Shetland society misogynistic I am reminded that if there is a war tomorrow the only gender who will be dying in the front line will be men. Women may "serve" their countries, but they do so in the relative safety of the rear echelons or back in the UK.

An interesting article in the book Stand by your Manhood (available at Amazon and all good book dealers), mentions a radio report of a bomb going off in a marketplace - 30 people died of which 8 were women and 6 were children. As the author asks, so who were the other 16, the majority? Despite there being more of them, men didn't even rate a mention.

Should I find myself on a ferry when the lifeboats are deployed, and I am met with the call of "women and children first", I will be barging my way to equality putting the children first.