without a voice on the job the Lib Dems and their ilk will draw their salary an be a voice in the wilderness 

who do you reckon we should vote for then

the snp the despised voice left out in the cold talking to themselves at westminster

labour the only slightly louder voice in the wilderness than the liberals

the tories who are the wilderness

ukip....

calamity........

Edited by menkeeeaneahi

To be fair the the LibDems haven't always been a voice in the wilderness, they did get a shot in government, our own MP was a member of the cabinet, a very very important job.

Shame it was one of the worse governments in living memory.

Their policies were responsible for seeing some of his own constituents, our fellow Shetlanders, having to rely on charity to feed themselves and their kids with a huge increase in foodbank usage, they also cut disability benefit, introduced the bedroom tax, increased tuition fees in England and slashed the budget for other public services.

Not everyone lost out though, they managed to flog our Post Office for peanuts ensuring their friends and party donors made a killing, they also managed to scrape the money together (despite austerity) to give a tax cut to 13000 millionaires.

And what do you think the SNP will do to balance the books if it ever gets its way with independence. They could not convince people an independent Scotland could be financially viable last time, never mind this time with much reduced oil revenue. If you think moneys tight now, god help us if they ever get their way with independence. What they're left with will all go on the central belt, Shetland won't have a look in.

We may not all agree with Alistiar Carmichael, but he's our only hope of keeping the SNP out of Shetland.

The SNP has been acting as a shield from the worst of the Tory/LibDem austerity policies, our kids don't get charged to attend university, they get charged £9000 a year in England.

We don't tax the sick in Scotland, we get free prescriptions, in England they pay.

The Bedroom tax doesn't exist in Scotland thanks to the SNP.

Richard Branson and others are busy buying up chunks of the NHS with Virgincare and other private companies in England, in Scotland it remains in public hands, etc etc the list goes on.

God help us if that buffer didn't exist and we were faced with the full brunt of these policies.

I've been watching the SNP in Westminster, I would urge anyone to do the same, with Labour fighting amongst themselves and the Lib/Dems obliterated at the last election, they've been the only credible opposition in there.

Edited by Capeesh

Lerwick Harbour Trust has spent thousands at Dales Voe preparing a site for decommissioning work but with this new vessel that can now remove the oil rigs directly of there legs possibly I'm being sceptical but i cannot see much of that line of work coming this way.

The vessel in question doesn't scrap the oil rigs itself. It just removes the superstructure from the legs and transports it to a shore base in one go to be cut up and scrapped. The recent one went to Hartlepool, but I am sure Dales Voe will get the chance at the work if it can put in a competitive bid.

Yes I am well aware this is a transport vessel only,but because everything in Shetland always costs more it is difficult to see that we can be competitive and gain much if any of this work.

I truly hope I am wrong but just possibly the SNP will agree to a subsidy to offset any additional costs.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/14690-major-decommissioning-project-for-lerwick----Fantasticnews and hope many more to come  :thmbsup

Whilst the Buchan Alpha decommissioning is good news, i stand by what i said above.

Take this new project and the Frigg  module scrapping in 2007, that wil be two major projects in 10+ years, that's hardly setting the heather alight.

For the amount of money poured into Dales Voe it better deliver, and handsomely.

Surely the buchan alpha announcement is brilliant news! Especially coming so soon after the Dales Voe development being completed. Thankfully the SNP didn't get their way over abolishing HIE or this and many other projects might never have got off the ground.

There's not many major projects been awarded yet so this coming to lerwick will hopefully be the start of many.

To be fair the the LibDems haven't always been a voice in the wilderness, they did get a shot in government, our own MP was a member of the cabinet, a very very important job.

Their policies were responsible for seeing some of his own constituents, our fellow Shetlanders, having to rely on charity to feed themselves and their kids with a huge increase in foodbank usage, they also cut disability benefit, introduced the bedroom tax, increased tuition fees in England and slashed the budget for other public services.

Not everyone lost out though, they managed to flog our Post Office for peanuts ensuring their friends and party donors made a killing, they also managed to scrape the money together (despite austerity) to give a tax cut to 13000 millionaires.

And what do you think the SNP will do to balance the books if it ever gets its way with independence. They could not convince people an independent Scotland could be financially viable last time, never mind this time with much reduced oil revenue. If you think moneys tight now, god help us if they ever get their way with independence. What they're left with will all go on the central belt, Shetland won't have a look in.

We may not all agree with Alistiar Carmichael, but he's our only hope of keeping the SNP out of Shetland.

The SNP has been acting as a shield from the worst of the Tory/LibDem austerity policies, our kids don't get charged to attend university, they get charged £9000 a year in England.

We don't tax the sick in Scotland, we get free prescriptions, in England they pay.

Richard Branson and others are busy buying up chunks of the NHS with Virgincare and other private companies in England, in Scotland it remains in public hands, etc etc the list goes on.

God help us if that buffer didn't exist and we were faced with the full brunt of these policies.

I've been watching the SNP in Westminster, I would urge anyone to do the same, with Labour fighting amongst themselves and the Lib/Dems obliterated at the last election, they've been the only credible opposition in there.

Your right about them being a good buffer Capeesh and if they would get on with the day job, they would likely get my vote. It's the "independence at any cost and regardless of those who have already said we don't want it" that worries me. Scotland can't afford to be independent. If she got her way you would soon see the real side of the SNP, a country struggling to make ends meet, higher taxes and loss of services. Of course it would be someone else's fault.

I listen to debates both Westminster and Hollyrood and whilst some impress me others are about avoiding the issue like most politicians. Watching Alex Salmon on TV the other day avoiding the questions and shouting over the presenter to put his independence at any cost position across, made me wonder if they are living in the real world. His answer to the question regarding dropping education figures was that Scotland has the least youth unemployment of most countries. Well that's great, more have a job, but they're not so bright!!. That bods well for future development.

As a government I think they have got their priorities wrong and it's having an effect on the stuff they should be looking after. If they would put independence to one side and prove they can do a great job of running the country, they would likely get more votes, make the country more prosperous and who knows what the future might bring. But as long as they can't get past the independence at any cost attitude, they will not get my vote and I believe many feel the same.

Every single constituency in Scotland voted to remain in the EU yet the UK is still heading for a hard Brexit from the European Union, that could also be described as "independence at any cost, regardless of those who have already said we don't want it".

There's no economic certainties however it pans out.

Edited by Capeesh

Aberdeen played Celtic last weekend I think it was,the team with the highest score won as is normal and if my memory serves me right that was Celtic.

No arguments there?

June 23rd 2016 the whole country (UK)voted yes or no to remain or leave the EU 

The majority vote was to leave the EU.(Brexit). That is the way the system works

Why can folk not accept that and move on to the next chapter.

Your right about them being a good buffer Capeesh and if they would get on with the day job, they would likely get my vote. It's the "independence at any cost and regardless of those who have already said we don't want it" that worries me. Scotland can't afford to be independent. If she got her way you would soon see the real side of the SNP, a country struggling to make ends meet, higher taxes and loss of services. Of course it would be someone else's fault.

I listen to debates both Westminster and Hollyrood and whilst some impress me others are about avoiding the issue like most politicians. Watching Alex Salmon on TV the other day avoiding the questions and shouting over the presenter to put his independence at any cost position across, made me wonder if they are living in the real world. His answer to the question regarding dropping education figures was that Scotland has the least youth unemployment of most countries. Well that's great, more have a job, but they're not so bright!!. That bods well for future development.

As a government I think they have got their priorities wrong and it's having an effect on the stuff they should be looking after. If they would put independence to one side and prove they can do a great job of running the country, they would likely get more votes, make the country more prosperous and who knows what the future might bring. But as long as they can't get past the independence at any cost attitude, they will not get my vote and I believe many feel the same.

Every single constituency in Scotland voted to remain in the EU yet the UK is still heading for a hard Brexit from the European Union, that could also be described as "independence at any cost, regardless of those who have already said we don't want it".

There's no economic certainties however it pans out.

Yes and that's democracy, it was a U.K. vote. I voted remain, but have to accept democracy, unlike the SNP who won't. :-(

Aberdeen played Celtic last weekend I think it was,the team with the highest score won as is normal and if my memory serves me right that was Celtic.

No arguments there?

June 23rd 2016 the whole country (UK)voted yes or no to remain or leave the EU 

The majority vote was to leave the EU.(Brexit). That is the way the system works

Why can folk not accept that and move on to the next chapter.

The UK is a union of different countries.

The EU is a union of different countries.

The will of the Scottish people was to remain in the UK.

The will of the Scottish people was to remain in the EU.

The democratic conundrum occurs because it's impossible to remain in both, even more complicated is the fact that there are people who voted to leave the UK who also voted to leave the EU and vice versa.

Another complication is the fact the SNP were democratically elected in the last Scottish election (which they won) on a manifesto pledge of holding another referendum if Scotland was dragged out of the EU against it's will.

Yet another complication is the democratically elected members of the Scottish parliament (all political parties) held a vote to decide if Scotland should have another referendum and they decided by parliamentary majority that they should.

So far the Tories have said they will overrule the decision of the Scottish parliament and block it, which begs the question who has the strongest democratic mandate?

There was a guy asking Theresa May tonight for a second vote on Brexit as they were told a lot of lies and now they know the truth. Sound familiar. I'm sure there would be legal reasons for another vote on Europe if a legal team looked through all the lies that were told before the vote.

There was a guy asking Theresa May tonight for a second vote on Brexit as they were told a lot of lies and now they know the truth. Sound familiar. I'm sure there would be legal reasons for another vote on Europe if a legal team looked through all the lies that were told before the vote.

When does Westminster not lie to us? When do they ever tell the truth and will they let us vote on our beliefs regarding what they call democracy?

We don't get 'free' prescriptions.  Nothing is 'free'.  We're paying the price of 'free' prescriptions in other ways.  For example, have a read through the Health & Social Care Policy Plan 2016 by the Scottish Government, have a read through too various reports by medical professionals as to the actual 'cost' of so-called 'free' prescriptions.  The Scot. Gov. have shifted the goalposts from "free at the point of need" re healthcare to "free at the point of delivery".  The Plan refers to "One for Scotland" and they want a one size fits all approach.  They want to do away with so many health boards too.  We've seen what "One for Scotland" means for Shetland as demonstrated with the recent patient travel fares fiasco - the procurement arm of NHS Scotland negotiating a one size fits all and a somewhat confusing approach of no. of population means you get X amount in budget for travel.  The SNP have not increased allowances for years for travel, be they under the islands travel scheme or those on benefits, despite references within their Plan to "island-proofing".  They plan to have super hospital centres - think free at the point of delivery again versus care locally.  However, they intend increasing primary care locally under the ideology that if they do that, then more serious health problems won't occur resulting in secondary care in hospitals.  And if you do end up in hospital, they want as much to be done as day care and ship you back out as quickly as possible.  All there, in their Plan.  They also want more help for teenage mums from maternity.  One of the reasons why there's so many problems with the joint health board re community care and primary care between the NHS and local authorities is that they are outlining what reads like an incredulous 'wish list' with no substance - or sufficient dosh.  It's all well and good saying that they'll have X No. of extra community nurses by X year when there aren't enough people already qualified as nurses and aren't even enough places for those wanting to have a career in nursing.  Did Miriam have a hand in the maths at that one then, given she's an economic advisor?  If so, her maths is crap.  And they keep blaming Westminster DESPITE having their own tax raising powers and other powers to get dosh.

Bedroom tax - technically, if I'm understanding it correctly, it DOES still exist albeit the (was it?) Smith report made recommendations re powers that could get it abolished.  What the Scot. Gov. have done is set aside monies available to councils to make discretionary payments to those affected - that doesn't mean to say every local authority will.

The Tories are like the strict parents who don't give away pocket money willy-nilly whereas Labour and the SNP seem to want to promise the earth - no thanks.

And there's more to being an MP than what party politics you happen to ascribe to as far as I'm concerned.  AC has been a good MP to many, be it dealing with executives of BT, dealing with the two local authorities ... he's got a huge range of contacts in various gov. departments from DWP to say insurance ombudsman; his experience means that if you go to him with a problem there's a pretty good chance he's already got in mind contacts who he can 'collar' and get things fixed quickly - where's MB's list of contacts and that knowledge then?  "Time for a change" to me isn't a good enough reason to vote for her.

The SNP's record speaks for itself - a Gov. website that would probably get a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the one with the most broken links 404 errors, an award for the most non-user friendly website on the planet, a record of promising to push down ferry fares (yet MB will apparently work with them closely in 2018 for the new contract ... does it take THAT long to push down ferry fares then eh as opposed to the Gov. paying say £10 of every fare now?) and STILL not paying out monies due re agriculture.

Yes, it's time for a change, as in give the SNP a bloody nose and kick them out of Westminster.

^^"..The Tories are like the strict parents who don't give away pocket money willy-nilly..."

You're right there, one of the first things the Tories wanted to do in government was slash Scotlands budget by £7 Billion https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/24/john-swinney-treasury-cutting-billions-deal-scottish-westminister This cash raid was thwarted by the SNP which makes me wonder what kind of onslaught we would face without them looking after our interests.

Edited by Capeesh