New Esplanade road layout

suuusssiiieee

Why keep a Post Office at all?

If I got it right, the Post Office is now handling some banking issues not sure exactly what but again no doubt convenient for folk living a distance from the banks yet near or handy to Post Offfices 

So possibly the Post Offices might survive at the expense of the banks.

It's surprising the P.O. hasn't reorganised itself on the street. It's only counter services that has any real justification to be there now. That building is a chunk of real estate in a 'prime' location worth quite a few ££££'s, even if only to Hjaltland to convert in to flats....

Sorting and delivery (The Royal Mail portion of the building) would function better from an edge of town site, like Germista, and counter services (The Post Office Counters portion of the building) could run perfectly well from any one of a number of former shops on the street/esplanade that have come up for sale in recent years, or similar that will inevitably come up for sale in the future.

The current building was designed and built over 100 years ago, in an age when the street was the main business hub in town and generated the greater proportion of the mail, and incoming/outgoing mostly went via boat or horse and cart. In that age, it was the perfect location, but in the 21st C. its become a dinosaur that could be done more efficiently and cheaply in other buildings on other sites, pretty much like the street itself in many ways.

Opticians, yes, banks, if you need to visit in person, yes. You want to rummage in charity or collectible shops, then yes too. But let's face it how often do most folk need/want to do that, once, twice a few times per year for the greatest part of who need/want at all, and for a large number more, never.

Chemists........two last time I looked.  Harrys!.  Post Office.  All reasons to visit the street if the Fort chippy was not reason enough.

Is there? Its not long ago there was an article in some news outlet that Laing's at the Cross was relocating to the old Kantersted Stores building sometime by or around now. Has that all beed called off? There's a chemist at Freefield, and another in Scalloway. so you don't have to go on the street for one. Same goes for the P.O. there was one in Bolts last I heard, unless its recently been closed? Not going to argue about the Fort Chippy being worth the effort, but if you're in a hurry accepting a slight reduction in quality by using someplace else just so as you get on seems a good idea most of the time.

Then we would have two Post Offices a few meters apart.

No better if it moved to the Sound area.

Was refering to the depo operations, but yep Sound or better yet edge of town/Gremista would work better for customers/drivers I'm sure.

Good points Ghosty. Prime flat development for private or public sector would help fund new place or Garthspool building redevelopment (which will sink into the ground if they dont do something with it shortly).

Why keep a Post Office at all?

If I got it right, the Post Office is now handling some banking issues not sure exactly what but again no doubt convenient for folk living a distance from the banks yet near or handy to Post Offfices 

So possibly the Post Offices might survive at the expense of the banks.

The Post Office has always handled money. It has never been worth using, though. It never will be. Banks will have to change shortly, to keep up with P2P finances while the Post Office will grind ever closer to a.........

Think the only thing that keeps the post office going is online sales. Most shops/businesses use online auction sites and websites to increase their sales. Also lots of people list their "unwanted" items in their house for sale on the internet auction sites. So the post office benefits a great deal from the postage of these items.

Just a question - many posters above (^) refer to a 20mph speed limit. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware the speed limit through the "calmed" section, remains at 30mph?.....

On an aside - I observed a strange phenomenon today.... when a "visitor" to da Toon used the humps like a pelican crossing because the car that was slowly approaching the hump stopped(!!). Winna be good if foot-fallers think that all this new road furniture is a right of way without a R-L-R and left again or (confused) drivers confuse the pedestrians.

What does the coloured swirly bit of road mean?

Is that a pedestrian crossing or what? Am I, as a car driver, meant to give right of way to crossing pedestrians?

I don't think they covered swirls with 20mph written on the road in my driving test many moons ago.

BTW, there is one of these road swirls just by Captain Flints.

Edited by Frances144

Think the only thing that keeps the post office going is online sales. Most shops/businesses use online auction sites and websites to increase their sales. Also lots of people list their "unwanted" items in their house for sale on the internet auction sites. So the post office benefits a great deal from the postage of these items.

Hmmm, the Post Office and online sales? Where's the link?