New Esplanade road layout

suuusssiiieee

So, for a few swirly tarmac'ed yards, the car must be 20mph or do you have to stop for pedestrians if they lurk nervously on the side of that bit of the road?

I realise I sound completely stupid, but I have never come across this kind of traffic control.

By 'swirly' tarmac, do you mean the coloured sections? If so, then the colour is just to highlight the traffic calming area.

As for stopping for pedestrians, no, it's not necessary to stop for them if they are on the pavement waiting to cross. The calming measures are not there to act as pedestrian crossing points. If the pedestrians are on the road or stepping onto it, it would be advisable to let them cross. Exactly the same as you should at any other time. 

Regarding the 20mph markings, I'm a bit rusty on what is required legally to change the speed limit on any given section of road. But my understanding is that local authorities have the power to reduce speed limits where they believe it is necessary. So reductions to 20mph through traffic calming areas or on sections of road where it is believed road users are vulnerable are fairly common.

(Another edit)

I'm talking about the speed humps themselves regarding pedestrians, not any pelican crossings or other formal crossing arrangements. Can't say I spotted anything 'unusual' about any crossing points, but maybe they didn't register :)

Edited by Scorrie

There is without doubt an impact an environmental impact of vehicles having to slow down, rather than being able to travel at a constant speed. I lived in a house with trees in the garden at the edge of a mini roundabout, where cars almost always had to stop. The puff of exhaust as each of them pulled away had an effect that was all too evident on the trees, they grew high but with little foliage, and that what was there was discoloured. My suggestion is that if this is of concern to you, and you are able to ambulate, then you should perambulate more and drive less, but making excuses for the inability to walk from a to b is something the able-bodied have finely honed in their skill set.

There is quite a interesting article in the Shetland Times today about the zebra crossings and speed bumps.

It is also from local business owner which says about the effect on their businesses.

If a business is popular it will have customers. Very popular businesses have people queueing down the street waiting for the place to open. The interesting thing I have noticed is that many businesses are quick to whinge when their profits are being hit by, for instance, some redevelopment work, and they soon ask for business rate rebates, but when they are doing really well at xmas, they never offer to pay a bit more into the system. Business is about ups and downs, and if you haven't got customers queueing at the till perhaps you aren't running the right business for the market, or running the business poorly.

The businesses that were in the Shetland times saying about the reduction in trade are well established shops which are been open for years, not just some new shop that has not yet been established.

Fact, when road works take place around town then the footfall falls to next to nothing.

Fact, when new systems like the new crossings and speed bumps are finished, then it takes a while before the footfall gets back to normal.

ALL shops and businesses have ups and downs.

It's just a shame that some of the down times are been at fault of improvements and road works.

I do think that things will soon get back to normal and hope that these crossings, speed bumps and 20mph are improvements and increases footfall.

If it wasn't for us shop keepers then commercial street would not exist.

Just walked from Bolts and wandered down the street, dropping in to a few shops and buying a few bits and pieces, all small purchases, but was surprised that even on the busiest shopping day for the week at least two shops were closed. Shopkeepers can hardly be whingeing about the lack of footfall if they can't be bothered to open their shops for the passing trade.

Edited by BigMouth

At a time when most Local Authorities are removing antiquated Zebra crossings amid safety concerns and replacing them with much safer modern crossings such as the Pelican crossings being removed, our council is moving in its usual backward way and doing the opposite as with the unnecessary speed bumps. This whole dreamt up scheme by Dumb and Dumber in infrastructure and development services and fast-tracked through by chief Baldrick and his merry Muppets formally of No.8 North Ness, now known as The turdey Hoose is a complete waste of public money all that was actually required was some 20 mph signs, an Engineer capable of fixing basic traffic lights and a more proactive approach by the Police, this would have achieved a better end result and saved quarter of a million which should have gone on something that was actually required.
I think in a few years time both speed bumps and Zebra crossings will be a thing of the past; it’s high time the SIC started looking at the future and moving forward rather than backwards, I just hope nobody get seriously injured as a direct result of this nonsense.
No mention of this projects contribution to the annual road maintenance program now currently running a month behind schedule or any overspend on original budget with project running over original timescale.

Instead of spending money finding out why the lights kept failing at the crossings the traffic speed was changed from 30mph to 20mph to justify the installations of zebra crossings.

I believe the problem was condensation and could probably have been sorted quite easily but these lights would have to conform to national standards consequently ruling out any local modifications.

But brecken  you are so right,sledge hammer to crack a nut,the usual SIC policy. 

The shops that were complaining about lack of footfall because of the road works, speed bumps and crossings are long established shops.

It is important to us shop keepers to keep footfall and sales up, as if the sales go down and footfall falls then most shops would have to close as we wouldn't be able to pay the rent, electricity etc, or any staff we employ.

So Commercial street would be very sad looking with about half of the shop buildings being empty, is that the way local council and folk want it?

Us shop keepers are constantly fighting to stay in business on the dying commercial street.

Even a dead 2-3months due to so called improvements has a big impact on our income and future.

If there was more customers, there would be more sales, so more sales means more fresh new stock.

Today has been dead on da street for a Saturday, which, back in the day, used to be the busiest day of the week.

41 Years ago there were 7 unused shop buildings on the street north of the new road either sitting empty or being used as storage, at least two shop buildings had been converted to cafes, another two to offices, one charity shop had established itself, there were only two shops trading south of the new road, and the SIC were whining about the street dying.

SInce then they've done many things to try and 'revitalise' it from repaving it twice to various 'pedestrianisation' initiatives to having planning policies actively discouraging retail development elsewhere in the town, much of it still ongoing in one form or another, yet nothing has improved in the slightest.

When is the penny going to drop with the SIC that over 40 years of flogging a dead horse is taking things a bit far, or is 'keeping on doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome' really their official policy.