Scrapping vehicles

I had no idea it was so difficult to scrap an unwanted wreck nowadays.

A relation was wanting to get rid of an old vehicle. It is one of the makes that the Amenity Trust doesn't handle - so they told them to get in touch with an organisation called Autogreen instead, to arrange disposal. The trouble is that Autogreen's local agent is 60 North, and they refused to take the vehicle!

So in other words, it looks like we’re back to the good old days in Shetland as far as scrap vehicles go, i.e. old wrecks gently rusting away and forming a blot on the landscape!

I had no idea it was so difficult to scrap an unwanted wreck nowadays.

A relation was wanting to get rid of an old vehicle. It is one of the makes that the Amenity Trust doesn't handle - so they told them to get in touch with an organisation called Autogreen instead, to arrange disposal. The trouble is that Autogreen's local agent is 60 North, and they refused to take the vehicle!

So in other words, it looks like we’re back to the good old days in Shetland as far as scrap vehicles go, i.e. old wrecks gently rusting away and forming a blot on the landscape!

Curious to know more about which vehicles can't get buried by the Amenitys trust. What was the reason they gave you?

Hi,

The way you go about it is to enter all the car details etc  on Autogreen's own website. You then receive an email stating your car will be picked up within 6 weeks. The car at this point becomes legally their responsibility.

Of course 60 degree North WON'T pick it up within this time, you then ring Autogreen,  explain the situation.They  force 60 degree North to pick the car  up, as they are responsible for disposing of your car now.

60 degree North may ask you to pay for this to be done.This is an unlawful request.They would just be trying to make extra cash.Do not pay them any money if asked however tempting this may be to get rid of the car.

If the car is still not picked up within a couple of weeks ring Autogreen back suggest that if not car is not sorted out you will be ringing Trading Standards this gets Autogreen moving.

You have to accept there are a lot of dead cars on Shetland to be picked up and will be done immediately however 8 weeks should be more than enough time. This does work.

If people follow this and be a bit forceful and explain their legal obligations we won't have all these blots on the landscape or such a back log of cars to be disposed of.

You must go through the website so that you have emails/paper evidence of transfer of ownership. They can deny a phone call.

I Know of people have used this method successfully and got cars removed within 8 weeks.

The Amenity Trust who are responsible for the other cars are pretty good however at Voar Redd Up time they are very busy.

Yes, we did just that, put the details into Autogreen and got a date from them, then found out that 60 North wouldn't take the vehicle. And a good job we found out beforehand, too, as otherwise we'd have had to pay to transport the wreck back to us (60 North don't collect, so we had to arrange that as well).

I might be wrong but i think when you have used Autogreens website 60 north will have to collect the car although they will not want to and will try to get money out of you for it. They are Autogreens agent as far as i am aware and any costs must be paid by autogreen.

They'll be charging you per black bag before they'll let the essy kert pick them up next.

Non-domestic is one thing to have additional charges for, but the introduction of a charge for any kind of domestic stuff when they started with charging for bulky household items, was a dangerous precedent that it comes as no surprise that they'll try to expand upon.

Makes you wonder just what it is the refuse collection portion of Council Tax pays for any more - paying that, then paying again for anything that isn't an empty beer can or potato peeling definitely feels like paying twice for the same thing.

Never mind, fly tipping isn't all bad, sometimes (albeit usually only once in every 33rd blue moon), there's a little scran in it.

Wanting your old car shifted? Just put it anyplace on a council estate and it'll vanish quicker than in a Paul Daniels magic trick.

They're so keen in there at Housing that they're going around trying to take away ones the owners aren't done with yet and don't want shifted.

At least, that's what they're doing with one of mine. Maybe it was something I said to one of them though that's pissed them off.....

• 6 months later...

Did anyone figure out how to scrap a car in Shetland. 

I too have a car that's not on the list of vehicles picked up by the amenity trust.  I went to the Autogreen website as directed, entered my details and they gave me the number to phone for 60 North.  Unfortunately it was the number for the previous owner of 60 north and he couldn't help me.