Cruise ship cancellations

The original complete 2017 list had 79 vessels due , we are now at 71, do the maths that's 8 cancelled.

The latest to cancel Vision of the Seas was due on 26th August. The reason i got after searching a cruise forum was this....

Please be advised of a port change from Lerwick to Inverness/Loch Ness, Scotland on your upcoming cruise. This change is necessary as the pier construction in Lerwick will not be completed as scheduled and Vision of the Seas cannot be accommodated at this time.

This is an utter lie, so the question remains, what is wrong with this place?. Is it the welcome, the product, or something more sinister?

• 1 month later...

Its always been a mystery to me why liners bother calling in at all, as to me Shetland's 'best side' is looking at it from the sea, and ashore is largely pretty sameishly dull and boring.....but that's maybe just me having stared at it for so long I can't see the wood for the trees....Or should that be see nothing worth looking at as I see no trees.

^ There's no accounting for some, is there. Obstreperous and cantankerous little beasts, dangerous and messy at both ends, I can't see the attraction myself.

I hope its a pay per view set up, or its not worth putting up with the bus convoys though.

£1 per pet seems fair, £2 if they nip you with their teeth. ;)

Edited by Ghostrider

The cruise ship is a self-contained leisure facility. You sit in complete comfort and watch the world go by. Many of the passengers come from hot countries (places we might consider holiday destinations - which they find totally mystifying). Shetland is an exotic destination and one for their bucket list. (although many will just tick the box and stay on board.)

Where would you go to on a cruise and why?

Where would you go to on a cruise and why?

I wouldn't. The concept of being stuck in a tin box with god knows how many random strangers for days/weeks has me contemplating hara kiri. Nowhere and nothing could begin to compensate for having to be around so many "people" in such a small space for an extended period.

If I wanted that I'd just do something that got me sent down so that it was free.

I see other ports starting to turn away cruise ships, due to being overwhelmed by the large number of visitors arriving. e.g/ Kirkwall now turning some down as well as mediterranean e.g Venice and  Baltic Ports e.g. Stockholm.

Can we accept many more in Lerwick?

Who actually benefits from these visits, other than harbour and bus operators?

I think Lerwick to a degree has not really seen a vast increase in visits over the last 5 years that other ports have (Kirkwall being one) we average out 70 which although a decent haul is still far below other ports in and around Northern Europe. 

The flat rate of calls here i'm sure is down to a lack of a proper deep water berth for "mega liners" that disgorge 3-5,000 passengers on any given visit.

So with that said i think there's scope to grow Lerwick's share more yet before any possible sanctions are imposed for limiting future numbers.

I see other ports starting to turn away cruise ships, due to being overwhelmed by the large number of visitors arriving. e.g/ Kirkwall now turning some down as well as mediterranean e.g Venice and  Baltic Ports e.g. Stockholm.

Can we accept many more in Lerwick?

Who actually benefits from these visits, other than harbour and bus operators?

Bars, shops, restaurants etc, and the benefits that they enjoy rub of on all the other businesses. Passengers coming ashore is good for all the businesses.