Cruise ship cancellations

The older 'dump it in the sea' liners are slowly being replaced by ships with state of the art sewage treatment plants that can deal with grey water and sewage, returning clean water back to the sea 24/7. Gash is no longer hoofed over the side either, so apart from the amount of fuel burnt there's not much to write home about IMO.

You'll always get those that take the pish, mind. There was a very famous case involving a Carnival cruise ship with an illegal dump valve built into the ship not that long ago.

Carbon footprints? Come on, we are ecstatic when the oil companies chuck money at Shetland businesses and use Shetlands facilities, sailing in and out in honking great vessels with a massive carbon footprint, yet we're going to get all queer about the carbon footprint of cruise ships? Really?

Terrible things cruise ships , huge carbon footprint to run them never mind the filthy dirty water they release into our seas !

They are huge polluters according to this article

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/21/the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-and-its-supersized-pollution-problem

I'd rephrase that, Mucklejoannie, to 'someone who lives near Southampton docks says they are huge polluters'.

Read the bold line at the top of the article........... ;)

I still think my theory about the cancellations is a more plausable reason than the weather. Out of the 5 in the last month only Viking Star was a true weather cancellation as she got to the Bressy light before aborting.

After that we had Aegean Odyssey which cancelled (weather) when they clearly after missing Kirkwall on the way to Iceland dropped us for them on the way back, were talking product here, Orkney clearly is more disirable.

Columbus was next (weather) which was rubbish as she was at Foula at 10 the night before, no weather issues there. She went to Kirkwall because she could moor alongside, for

us lacking (facilities).

Ocean Majesty was next, diverted to Invergordon, reasons unkown, seemingly weather which is a strange one as she made good time up from Germany.

Costa Magica cancelled to due weather i guess because of having to tender they did'nt fancy it (again facilities).

The point in all of this is there are clearly 2 issues here, appeal of Shetland, and lack of a deep water berth for the larger ships around.

Promote Shetland have never been keen to embrace new ideas of how to show off Shetland's many assets, many ideas i know have been dismissed out of hand that could make the experience for cruise passengers that elect to stay in the town even better.

The LPA clearly see a need for a town centre berth, which hopefully will happen.

The older 'dump it in the sea' liners are slowly being replaced by ships with state of the art sewage treatment plants that can deal with grey water and sewage, returning clean water back to the sea 24/7. Gash is no longer hoofed over the side either, so apart from the amount of fuel burnt there's not much to write home about IMO.

You'll always get those that take the pish, mind. There was a very famous case involving a Carnival cruise ship with an illegal dump valve built into the ship not that long ago.

Carbon footprints? Come on, we are ecstatic when the oil companies chuck money at Shetland businesses and use Shetlands facilities, sailing in and out in honking great vessels with a massive carbon footprint, yet we're going to get all queer about the carbon footprint of cruise ships? Really?

Terrible things cruise ships , huge carbon footprint to run them never mind the filthy dirty water they release into our seas !

They are huge polluters according to this article

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/21/the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-and-its-supersized-pollution-problem

I'd rephrase that, Mucklejoannie, to 'someone who lives near Southampton docks says they are huge polluters'.

Read the bold line at the top of the article........... ;)

Southampton seems to have a particular problem as the liners use their own generators to power all the ships electrics rather than hook up to shore based power supplies.

I've just looked up the 'Magellan' which is a new generation (2015) cruise liner at 220m that can carry 1200 passengers, so a reasonably large lump of metal.

She has three 3750kw generators  :shock:

For comparison, a type 42 RN destroyer with a crew of 300 needed 4x 1000kw Paxman gennies to supply all ships propulsion, auxiliary, weapon and backup systems - and beer fridges - and never had all 4 on load at the same time, normally two running and two on standby......

So maybe they don't have the shore power capability in Southampton :)

That does surprise me, I'd have thought it would be more cost effective to run shore power. But then again, I suppose the  power usage for summat like a cruise liner could be way above the available supply. Dunno.

Can't they just put a three pin plug into a socket at the marina?  They could run a four-gang on that.

That does surprise me, I'd have thought it would be more cost effective to run shore power. But then again, I suppose the  power usage for summat like a cruise liner could be way above the available supply. Dunno.

Can't they just put a three pin plug into a socket at the marina?  They could run a four-gang on that.

Health & Safety.   I don't think they would be allowed to use a "4 Gang"..  :ponders:

The LPA clearly see a need for a town centre berth, which hopefully will happen.

I'll certainly agree with you there, I heard the outgoing head of the LPA talking on SICB a couple of weeks back, a deepwater berth was something both he and the HM believe should be dealt with.

Going back to the amount of cancellations, let's see how many from this list have actually cancelled at the end of the season:

http://www.lerwick-harbour.co.uk/visiting-cruise-ships-2017