Museum & Archive photo collection

suuusssiiieee

Browsing through the Shetland Museum's terrible website, especially the photo collection side of things, i have to ask even when logged in does anyone know how to get a full size of the photo on your screen?

Frankly the website really is not fit for purpose, and to my knowledge hasn't ever been updated since the day it went live! :o

As the man said, you couldn't make it up....... :roll:

As a side note, I noticed the other day as I looked at the museum's four flag poles that they won't even acknowledge Shetland's historic connections with Norway and fly a Norwegian flag along with the others(Shetland, British, Scottish).

It seems they'd rather have a bare pole.

No "politics" there then..........

They should have left it as it was when they launched it, that design and functionality pretty much covered all bases as reasonably as practically possible. Sometimes so-called 'improvement' are actually the opposite, they've 'improved' it twice, and each time, it has been excatly that, the opposite. As it stands the functionality is virtually useless, both for finding images for resource/information purposes, and for seeing if ones you do find contain coverage/detail enough to justify buying.

Then lets not get in to the debate over the fact that being a public museum, its contents, including photos, should be freely and fully available to the Shetland public to view and enjoy.....

As a side note, I noticed the other day as I looked at the museum's four flag poles that they won't even acknowledge Shetland's historic connections with Norway and fly a Norwegian flag along with the others(Shetland, British, Scottish).

It seems they'd rather have a bare pole.

They couldn't possibly have a Norski flag there, thats the one for the EU flag, it was just doon an in da wash yun day. ;-)

I just want to be able to browse the library for enjoyment and a peerie, pokie image is of no use whatsoever.  You can see detail on the screen size photo that you simply can't on the 3x3/4x4' photo.

I agree wi Ghostrider - it's a shameful way to behave when the various collections were given in good faith for the pleasure of future generations.

I know people who have film and photos that are gold dust and they have no intention of giving it to the Shetland Museum because of the present attitude/situation.

In relation to the Norwegian flag being flown in recognition of wir historic ties and history, they should never need prodded to do it.

And to think that Queen Sonja even played a part in the official opening of the museum.........

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Strange about the flag as all the Scandi nation flags were up just the week before.

That was just for Shetland Boat Week.

It's the main row of flag poles I'm talking about.

They'll probably come out with some excuse the fourth pole is used for "temporary flags"   :roll:

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Strange about the flag as all the Scandi nation flags were up just the week before.

That was just for Shetland Boat Week.

It's the main row of flag poles I'm talking about.

They'll probably come out with some excuse the fourth pole is used for "temporary flags"   :roll:

Like the Union Jack (hopefully)