Proposed new recycling scheme isles-wide

Suffererof1crankymofo

I'm all for recycling if for nothing else to keep the rubbish from contaminating the oceans and countryside,but I have to agree with Ghostrider that to export, and what else can we do,seems counter productive if it costs more than it is worth financially and environmentally.

Guess we have to gather up and dispose of our bruck but cluttering up the countryside and streets with ugly bins,surely there has to be a better and probably cheaper way. 

Just of the point comment ,where are we going to put all the "dud"car batteries in a few years time when all our cars are nearly all electric.

Will this not make the price of motoring even more expensive but then again what price for a breath of pure fresh air.

The new shed is a great idea, the current system is no use for a recycling area, hopefully this will create a good few long term jobs in the council.

forget dales voe that's earmarked for decommissioning.

Fine empty shed next door to Mareel costing the SIC around a grand a day due to their management incompetence maybe they could make some use of that!

Just a passing thought--what the difference of parking wheelie bins on the pavement to the illegal parking of a vehicle on the same said pavement..

Still an obstruction as I see it.

Size.  If I remember right, you can park a motorcycle on a pavement provided there are X No. of feet (forget how many, my biking days are over) spare and it would not be illegal.  So if say a large pavement say 6ft across, a pushchair/wheelchair would still have room to get by but if say a 2ft width pavement, forget it.  Something like that anyway, if I'm remembering correctly.  Because if not, we'd never even be allowed to chain push bikes to anything on a pavement.

The council is hell bent on spending large stupid amounts of money on schemes that either don't work or get scrapped soon after the schemes start.

They do not think about how elderly or disabled folk will manage or how inconvenient it may be to folk.

They don't listen or ignore what is important to Shetland people.

It's not just this recycling scheme but countless other schemes the SIC have come up with over the years.  They throw large sums of money at various schemes and don't support what is important or helpful to people or our community.

Edited by Lerwick antiques

Unfortunately. i don't have a kerb within miles. I live on a dirt track 100 metres from the main road, I own a wheelie bin, but it is not easy pulling it to the main road. so I put bags in the car and out under da net -  there's no room for more than one wheelie bin. How are they going to organise this, and it can't be uncommon in a rural area like Shetland. Maybe its only for toonies?

Guest Mr.Brown

What skunners me about this whole issue is that if there is a genuine desire by the SIC to get us to recycle as effectively as possible then why are they making such an unnecessarily complicated scheme for it. They should realise that there are many circumstances around Shetland because of the lay of the land as well as personal issues ie. illness & disability, which need to be taken into account to make a workable plan & not treat the public as if they are just being awkward for the sake of it if they have problems with it. The skeptical side of me thinks that maybe they hope to make revenue from fines if people don't follow their plan to the letter!

^ Another cynic says that SIC management either have an obsession to do exactly what a centralising, 'one size fits all' Holyrood demands, or then don't have the balls to argue with them.

All of this is a classic example of doing whatever needs doing to, regardless of practicalities or cost, to make a plan dreamed up in and designed for the central belt exist someplace the polar opposite, just because both currently as pigeon holed under the heading "Scotland".

What happened to the much boasted about so-called island proofing, this would have been a perfect opportunity to demonstrate it, instead its a unfolding as a perfect example of why island proofing would be a valuable thing.....

What is best practice in rubbish processing and disposal, and gives best environmental and carbon footprint outcomes in the lowlands relatively near one or more large population centres, is highly unlikely to translate in to being the same on an exposed rock with a relatively small population producing rubbish, 200 miles from land.

Economies of scale are impossible, cost of transportation is a massively dictating factor, we are 'recycling' in a way that makes sense in our setting, it just not one of Holyrood's 'approved' 'twue recycling' methods. Undoubtedly there's still room for improvement over what currently exists, but this isn't it, this is just going to unravel some of what 'recycling' we have, and achieve no real environmental or carbon footprint benefit.

If you have to weight your bin down with concrete blocks to stop it from blowing away will this be an impediment resulting in fines and the bin remaining unemptied.

Removal of any form of bin restraints will likely not be part of the "essypersons" contract.

Will we require planning permission to site these horrible objects on pavements as we need it for just about everything else.

Who will pay for repairs to any vehicle or for that matter anything that might get damaged either by the bin causing an obstruction or blowing across the public highway . 

Good question Urabug. If a person trips and injures themselves on a wheelie bin on the public pedestrian pavement, then who is responsible if the person decides to make a claim? is it the bin owner or the council?

These bins can easily take off with the wind and damage a parked car, same again, who is responsible for the repair bill?  

• 3 weeks later...

www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2017/11/06/wheelie-bin-fears-addressed-council

Seriously?

Has anyone actually been outwith Lerwick?

No bungee cord (a couple of quid or what) is going to secure a wheelie bin at the end of our track for anyone, let alone the Blessed SIC.  Are the Essekert guys allowed to un-bungee or will we have to do that?  Will they re-bungee if they have un-bungee'ed?

I would rather pick up my black bags and traipse them into the Big L on a weekly basis myself than put them in a wheelie bin that's on its way to Norway on a regular basis.

I would rather pick up my black bags and traipse them into the Big L on a weekly basis myself than put them in a wheelie bin that's on its way to Norway on a regular basis.

Don't. By all appearances thats what they want to 'persuade' folk to do - Introducing the pointless, senseless and largely unworkable scheme they have can achieve no other long term outcome.

So much easier to balance the budget and run the department if the trucks and guys on them can all be pensioned off as 'they're not being used enough to be justified', and expect everybody to cart their rubbish to the dump themselves instead.