Proposed new recycling scheme isles-wide

Suffererof1crankymofo

You guys are getting worse with your council bashing , there is a duty to recycle and save the environment what is there to complain about ?

They're not interchangable terms, despite many people, the most of whom are politically motivated, trying to fob one of as also being the other. Thats what there is to complain about.

What the SIC are attempting to introduce is recycling, there's no argument there, but whether its saving the environment any more, or even equally as much as how the SIC have recycled our rubbish and been saving the environment for the last 17 years, is very much up for debate.

To sum it up

What they are currently burning in the incinerator has a high percentage of waste then can be recycled.

What they will import to burn is waste that can not be recycled.

The 0 waste Scotland initiative will provide funding to support the project, it will create jobs and revenue for the council and local businesses.

To sum it up

What they are currently burning in the incinerator has a high percentage of waste then can be recycled.

What they will import to burn is waste that can not be recycled.

The 0 waste Scotland initiative will provide funding to support the project, it will create jobs and revenue for the council and local businesses.

Do you seriously believe everything you're told and not bother to read the small print?

There is an ASSUMPTION that SIC will get contracts from other local authorities to deal with their waste in order for the SIC's figures to add up.  There is no GUARANTEE that they will get any.

As someone who is self-employed on a part-time basis, I can assure you that Zero Waste Scotland's requirements do NOT assist local businesses, not mine, anyway.  I'm expected to take my recycling generated from my business to a licensed recycler (in other words, the SIC's dump) 25 odd miles away.  Now given that I print on both sides of A4 and generate roughly a carrier bag of shredded paper a week, I didn't consider it very green and environmentally friendly to whack about £8 of petrol in the car and drive to Lerwick and back.  So a couple of years or so when the Scot. Gov. introduced this law, I e-mailed and got permission to whack said carrier bag of shredded paper in with the normal household rubbish.  Now other small businesses might just have decided to stick two fingers up or decided to comply with said requirement; extra journeys to Lerwick cost money of no benefit to local businesses.

I'm not against recycling, I've done it elsewhere in the UK.  But this scheme dreamt up by the SIC and/or Zero Waste Scotland is ludicrous.  IF they really wanted us to recycle, for starters, they would pay us just like they do in Norway.  They could have used different coloured bags instead of the cost of additional wheelie bins.

You might approve of box-ticking exercises to pacify the EU, I don't.  The small print of said Directives AND the statute in Scottish law allows for exemptions in rural areas plus there is meant to be island-proofing.  So I suggest you quit your moaning and consider whether an alleged saving of £25k or thereabouts is really going to be achievable.

I look very much forward to the fabled knock on the door from the SIC assessment dude, whoever that may be - he/she better have a big furry rabbit to pull out of the hat to make our situation workable...

I think it's gonna be a Scot. Gov. bod or contractor, namely Zero Waste Scotland, who will be knocking on ya door.  Have fun!

There is enough non recyclable fuel in the UK to power the district heating, in fact there is so much that the UK exports it, yes we pay to have the waste shipped to Europe for waste to energy schemes, don't worry about deals with local authorities there is literally a never ending stream of waste available.

A carrier bag of paper a week........

Why would you even consider driving to Lerwick with that , with the new scheme you will have two carrier bags of paper gathered up stick it in the appropriate bin , Job Done !

There is enough non recyclable fuel in the UK to power the district heating, in fact there is so much that the UK exports it, yes we pay to have the waste shipped to Europe for waste to energy schemes, don't worry about deals with local authorities there is literally a never ending stream of waste available.

A carrier bag of paper a week........

Why would you even consider driving to Lerwick with that , with the new scheme you will have two carrier bags of paper gathered up stick it in the appropriate bin , Job Done !

And you, just like the SIC, are assuming that the never ending stream of waste available will come to Shetland and not the other local authorities' existing contractors.  Are you assuming that Shetland will be cheaper than anywhere else?

I didn't consider driving to Lerwick, I refused to do so but when I received the e-mail from Scot. Gov.'s busy bodies, there was no mention of the fact you could ask to be exempt.  But in order to comply, had I not enquired, it would have entailed driving to Lerwick!  Blame the legislation and those advising on said legislation, not those in receipt of an e-mail telling them that you had to go to Lerwick and couldn't put it in the normal household waste.

You guys are getting worse with your council bashing , there is a duty to recycle and save the environment what is there to complain about ?

Things change and the days of just putting everything in a black bag and not recycling are over accept it, adapt and quit moaning like your hard done by.

The legal duty is on a local authority to promote recycling; when asked for the actual clause under the Act which stated individual members of the public had to recycle, the SIC couldn't provide it.  There is, however, a legal requirement upon a local authority to collect rubbish.  It's been proven elsewhere that a suitable receptable does not have to be a wheelie bin.

They pay the council to take the waste not the other way around !

Well it wouldn't get from Fife or the like by magic carpet, would it?!  And I reiterate, those other local authorities who currently buy the service from other providers to get rid of their rubbish in an EU approved manner, will already have contracts in place with said other providers.

I'll make a simple comparison for you:-

Council A currently buys a service from Fred Blogs No. 3 PLC.  SIC offers to sell same service to Council A.  Council A realises that to terminate their current contract with Fred Blogs No. 3 PLC would cost in excess of £50k for early termination of their existing contract, plus Fred Blogs No. 3 PLC charges £1 per unit whereas SIC wants £1.50 per unit plus a transportation fee.  If you were Council A, would you buy the services of SIC simply because some civil servant in the Government wrote you a nice e-mail stating that Shetland now could offer that service?  No, they would dump said e-mail in their err recycle bin.

The SIC and their consultants are doing the usual, assuming there will be an income stream when in reality, the assumed income stream could be ZERO. 

There is not enough places in the UK to process the non recyclable waste , that's why they ship it to Europe for disposal.

Do you not think Europe already has their own non-recyclable waste to deal with without the UKs ?

And there is a huge amount of waste available in fact too much for the processors to cope with, that's why they can and will ship it here and pay for it too be processed which covers the haulage and handling costs.  Forget contracts, because your making assumptions with a lack of knowledge on the subject.