Proposed new recycling scheme isles-wide

Suffererof1crankymofo

And please don't forget during the winter months on the days when the pavements are covered in ice or/and snow, all these bins set out on the pavements blocking access for the small gritting tractors to carry out their essential works.

A lot of bins will be left out on pavements all year round, not everyone has space to accommodate them.

I must say when up on/in Shetland in Feb this year I was somewhat surprised that there wasn't a system like we have here. Felt somewhat bad or naughty putting paper into the general waste and it wasn't clear at all what if anything was recycled. I still don't understand why the glass has to be taken to a bottle bank? Very 80s/90s-esque, I remember my granddad lifting me to post the bottles into the bins as a kid. Also as mentioned  above it isnt very green if each resident drives to do this.

Here we have 4 bins...

Grey - Non-recyclable/general waste

Green - Food waste and garden waste if you pay for garden waste collection.

Blue - Paper, card etc.

Black - glass, cans/tins and plastic(which plastic does confuse me know)

Originally I remember it being a huge pain in the ass figuring out where to store the bins without making them stick out like a sore thumb, but most houses I see now have them in their front garden/drive for ease of use. 

2 bins are collected each week - Green and grey, then green and blue, then green and grey again, then finally green and black. Currently, our grey bin is 3/4 full or near full when it is time for the fortnightly collection, larger houses get larger grey bins. Blue is nearly always full for us for its monthly collection, whilst black with tins, glass etc we can do once every 8 weeks.

It's all well and good proposing it like the council have done but it seems really badly thought out given the terrain, costs of doing this over the most remote areas etc. Again this is from a non local, but as someone who loves Shetland and still wants to live there someday.

And please don't forget during the winter months on the days when the pavements are covered in ice or/and snow, all these bins set out on the pavements blocking access for the small gritting tractors to carry out their essential works.

A lot of bins will be left out on pavements all year round, not everyone has space to accommodate them.

We have people here near Manchester that are incapable of moving their bins even when they have space, but not sure if too lazy or daft to do so. My mum puts my nan's bins but not sure how other elderly/disabled get on with theirs.

People were very angry and annoyed when this was first brought in, but I guess a lot more recycling is done now that each house as the bins to do this. When we had an apartment in Manchester there were just huge communal bins. General waste, paper/card, Plastic/glass/tin bins and then the big dumpster bin trucks came and took them.

I applaud the idea for want to recycle more and be greener etc, but do it properly not half arsed like this seems.

^ How far on average are plastics and card destined for 'recycling' on the mainland transported to reprocessing plants, and by what methods?

This pie-eyed scheme relies on sending it on a 200 miles ferry journey, plus onward freight to whatever reprocessing plant is accepting it. Its highly questionable if the value of the unprocessed plastics and paper so transported will cover the costs to deliver it there, never mind end up in a lesser carbon footprint than simply creating plastics and paper from virgin sources.

There's not even beginning to be anywhere near enough paper and plastic disposed of on isle to make local reprocessing a possibility, so shipping out is the sole option. Whenever recycling has been discussed previously the Council's stance has always been it wasn't economically viable to ship out anything for reprocessing, and that burning it in the incinerator was the most cost effectve and "greenest" option locally. So whats changed? Shipping hasn't gotten any cheaper, so has the price paid by reprocessors for unprocessed paper and plastics skyrocketed? I doubt it. If neither has appreciably changed, the question that needs answering is, was the Council lying to us then, or are they lying to us now, as their statements are polar opposites of each other, and cannot both be honest and factual.

Seems to me that this is a case of feed the plebs whatever b/s it is necessary to con them in to getting with the program, never mind that in actuality it will achive only a minute portion, if any, of the 'greeness' of the system its replacing. All because the SIC management team involved would rather sell their souls and look fools and idiots, than grow the balls to take on their Holyrood masters in a showdown and prove what an un-islandproofed piece of crap this all is.

I have a grey wheelie bin for general waste collected fortnightly.  Garden waste bin (grey with brown lid) collected on alternate weeks.  Food waste (green box), paper waste (blue box), Glass and cardboard ( green box but different to the food waste box) and tins + plastic bottles (brick coloured box) all collected weekly.  Council claims that the move to weekly collections has greatly increased the recycling rate.  Clothes, batteries and small electrical appliances are also collected.

There are two costs to shipping recycled materials south from Shetland.  The first is the monetary cost which is unavoidable especially as the rules on how much waste must be recycled get stricter.  The second cost is the carbon footprint and I am inclined to think that if space in otherwise empty containers is used that will be fairly minimal if the container and the ship are going south anyway.  Yes a touch of creative accounting but one I believe is right.

Edited by JustMe

^ How far on average are plastics and card destined for 'recycling' on the mainland transported to reprocessing plants, and by what methods?

This pie-eyed scheme relies on sending it on a 200 miles ferry journey, plus onward freight to whatever reprocessing plant is accepting it. Its highly questionable if the value of the unprocessed plastics and paper so transported will cover the costs to deliver it there, never mind end up in a lesser carbon footprint than simply creating plastics and paper from virgin sources.

There's not even beginning to be anywhere near enough paper and plastic disposed of on isle to make local reprocessing a possibility, so shipping out is the sole option. Whenever recycling has been discussed previously the Council's stance has always been it wasn't economically viable to ship out anything for reprocessing, and that burning it in the incinerator was the most cost effectve and "greenest" option locally. So whats changed? Shipping hasn't gotten any cheaper, so has the price paid by reprocessors for unprocessed paper and plastics skyrocketed? I doubt it. If neither has appreciably changed, the question that needs answering is, was the Council lying to us then, or are they lying to us now, as their statements are polar opposites of each other, and cannot both be honest and factual.

Seems to me that this is a case of feed the plebs whatever b/s it is necessary to con them in to getting with the program, never mind that in actuality it will achive only a minute portion, if any, of the 'greeness' of the system its replacing. All because the SIC management team involved would rather sell their souls and look fools and idiots, than grow the balls to take on their Holyrood masters in a showdown and prove what an un-islandproofed piece of crap this all is.

If this was for me, then I honestly haven't a clue. I know there was a big paper mill/recycling place not that far away, but that is HUGE. I'd expect our paper to go there as its between 7-8 miles away. Not to mention our town is 110k people so lots more waste to perhaps make it worthwhile.

Now you mentioned it,  it does seem very ungreen with the distance covered and costly.  :ponders:

There are two costs to shipping recycled materials south from Shetland.  The first is the monetary cost which is unavoidable especially as the rules on how much waste must be recycled get stricter.  The second cost is the carbon footprint and I am inclined to think that if space in otherwise empty containers is used that will be fairly minimal if the container and the ship are going south anyway.  Yes a touch of creative accounting but one I believe is right.

Do you think that those self same regulations you refer to would allow "waste" to be shipped in random containers heading south? I would suspect, going by what we've been informed of them so far, such transfers will require dedicated containers, which will not only cost to ship out, but cost to ship back empty as well. I would be delighted to be proven wrong and your suggestion proven right, but.....

Do you think that those self same regulations you refer to would allow "waste" to be shipped in random containers heading south? I would suspect, going by what we've been informed of them so far, such transfers will require dedicated containers, which will not only cost to ship out, but cost to ship back empty as well. I would be delighted to be proven wrong and your suggestion proven right, but.....

Well I kind of assume that recycled materials could not be shipped in containers used for foodstuffs and so on but there have to be some containers that could be used for recycling heading south.  Or indeed not even containers.  Ships bring building products or coal one way could surely take what has to go for recycling the other way. 

Of course it would be good if some recycling could be processed in Shetland.  Like what happened to the idea of paper being turned into animal bedding?.

What about the bins on commercial street and other bins for the general public?

How are the council planning to sort that out? have no public bins? have pairs of colour coded bins at various spots and hope the general public will put rubbish into the correct one? well it will probably get filled up with glass bottles at the weekend from the nightlife.

The council most be living on a different planet. Most folk that I know, especially the elderly, don't understand things like this. It's hard enough getting by day to day life without having to worry about what goes in what bin. Let alone expecting folk to put glass in a glass recycling bin. Maybe all fine and well with motorists but what about the folk that does not drive? and the elderly or disabled that does/can't go out much or can't walk any great distance?

Saw an old fellow get on the Town Service with a couple of carrier bags full of glass etc. 

Got off at Tesco (presumably) to dump them in the bottle banks.

All well and good except, he left a trail of various liquids all over the bus/pavement/himself etc.  Go figure..

Can't imagine the bus companies being to pleased with being used as an essy cart if everyone starts doing this..

• 4 weeks later...

I think the plastics put for recycling were always shipped South. I remember somebody from the Council telling me at a Home show that they had a company who took it off them. This was when they were handing out the free coloured bin bags.

What about the bins on commercial street and other bins for the general public?

How are the council planning to sort that out? have no public bins? have pairs of colour coded bins at various spots and hope the general public will put rubbish into the correct one? well it will probably get filled up with glass bottles at the weekend from the nightlife.

The council most be living on a different planet. Most folk that I know, especially the elderly, don't understand things like this. It's hard enough getting by day to day life without having to worry about what goes in what bin. Let alone expecting folk to put glass in a glass recycling bin. Maybe all fine and well with motorists but what about the folk that does not drive? and the elderly or disabled that does/can't go out much or can't walk any great distance?

And yet everywhere else somehow manages.

They are going to collect from the doorstep for exactly the reasons you state in your last point.