Emergency Services Reckless Driving

Jimsie_Macmutton

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As well, what became of the other one last summer in which a Police car was a factor in the overall incident? The "hiding" panda, the truck, the misty morning and the wife in the car driving along....Nort Rod at PPP's access wasn't it?? Did anything relating to that ever have it's day in court, if so, what happened, just what contributory factor, if any, did the stationary panda play in the incident? I seem to recall a few on here making much of telling folk not to make assumptions, as everything would be properly investigated and dealt with in the fullness of time....the time has now been and gone, was it as they assured us, investigated and dealt with fully and properly?

If a more serious case from last summer could be dealt with in the Aberdeen Court getting on for two month since, a couple of relatively uncomplicated road wreck cases in a far less busy court surely should have been done and dusted months before the one that had to go to Aberdeen.

Guest Anonymous

Just to point out something whodat said when he said that the police had never caused a death with there driving in shetland .

Well there was a whalsay lady who died in a crash in the lang kames with a policeman ( he was off duty at the time but still a police man)

Several years ago they chased a young man through the tingwall valley and he has spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair and is braindamaged.

I think if they identify the car & driver and in a small place like this with limited places to drive to they can use better tactics than taking extreme chase.

And they might all have taser guns shortly ... , dat will mak fur some interesting weekend nights doon da street.

Standard road rules don't apply to the emergency services...that said... and sorry to the police force in general... because I should have reported it at the time......

The incident reported in the Shetland Times a while ago when the 2 young girls were nearly mown down in Lochside by a Police Car at roughly 6.45 at night because they didn't notice the car ...

A few moments later that same night in Holmsgarth road I crossed in front of our car, which was parked off the road in a parking bay facing towards the town, my Hubby who was thankfully alert !! .. sounded the horn for me to stop, I stopped... if I'd have taken one more step forward passed the edge of the car I'd have become a statistic, because the Police car passed my nose.. going hell for leather! they only had their lights on !! no sirens!! The speed they were going I hadn't had time to see their lights!!

Surely at that time of night, if they need to go to an emergency they should be using the sirens as well as the lights.......

Nae winder eh?

While discussing t6he news story i was reminded of another polis misanter of the past 12 months when a car in pursuit lost control at the cauldhame junction. In very similar circumstances to when they crashed at the hamnavoe junction. How is it that they crash while in pursuit of the alledgedly inebriated? Its surely the wrang way roond.

Not a good statistical average for the 12 month period anyway.

Then, once you scratch the surface..........

:lol: :lol: Pedestrian fined for denting police car....after it mounted the pavement

I can't take any credit for finding that story, it's from The policemans Blog as mentioned in the BBC news story

It seems a policeman's lot is not a happy one. I don't envy them.

When cops drive at high speed they have to predict what other driver's are going to do as well as drive their own vehicle.

Well thats a big assumption to make as no one can predict the actions of others. :roll: :roll:

And I suppose the truck driver attempting to enter petersons yard didnt predict a police car blocking the entrance either , which again caused an accident.

And what of the motorway policeman in court recently in Scotland for doing 159 mph claiming he was just "honing" his driving skills ? Well if any of us wish to do this then we have to go to a racetrack or similar not on the public road. And what penalty did he get....no points , still kept his job , dont think even a fine , what kind of example is that to set ?

Yes there are some horrendous drivers up here and a few of em are affiliated with the local plod. :!:

Standard road rules don't apply to the emergency services...that said... and sorry to the police force in general... because I should have reported it at the time......

The incident reported in the Shetland Times a while ago when the 2 young girls were nearly mown down in Lochside by a Police Car at roughly 6.45 at night because they didn't notice the car ...

A few moments later that same night in Holmsgarth road I crossed in front of our car, which was parked off the road in a parking bay facing towards the town, my Hubby who was thankfully alert !! .. sounded the horn for me to stop, I stopped... if I'd have taken one more step forward passed the edge of the car I'd have become a statistic, because the Police car passed my nose.. going hell for leather! they only had their lights on !! no sirens!! The speed they were going I hadn't had time to see their lights!!

Surely at that time of night, if they need to go to an emergency they should be using the sirens as well as the lights.......

Mr TA is a Firefighter and there are rules that they have to adhere. As far as I can ascertain they need to use sirens and lights when responding to an emergency. When they are not responding to an emergency they "should" abide by the normal rules.

As a person that used to drive a bomb disposal van with blue lights and sirens attached I can tell you that your are legally obliged to stay within the laws of the road whether you are responding to an emergency or not.

If road users decide to give you some sort of priority then you may use that. In some areas of Northern Ireland they wouldn't give you the right of way.

• 11 months later...

Once again, I AM NOT DEFENDING HIM. He caused an accident and I have it on good authority that HE HAS BEEN DONE.

Anyone remember seeing anything in the paper about this?

And one year on....anyone remember anything appearing in the paper?

Surely this would be 'in the public interest' for the new-look Shetland Times?

• 1 year later...

As i was driving down from lerwick this afternoon i was pleased to see all road users taking care and giving way when needed in this bad weather.

Until i drove upto fladdabister where there was yet another police car off the road with a low loader attempting to take it away...

:roll:

well i managed to take my time and stay on the road...could this be careless driving or were they talking on there radio at the time...who knows, i'm just glad that none of the public was injured.

I just wish the police would take a bit more care and time not to put at risk the rest of the road users.

:evil:

^ :roll:

Here we go again, another police bash topic, there is another one already running.

The only thing i would say, and im not big'in the police up here but its not although they are the only ones that have gone off the road. There have been cars going off the road left right and centre. Including me, my poor car.

Im sure a few years back an ambulance went off the road at the brig'o'fitch, maybe they were talking on the radio, or maybe even treating a patient... :roll:

(*** Mod - entire previous post quoting removed ***)

Here we go again, another police bash topic, there is another one already running.

The fact that there have been no responses other than yours in over 24 hours would indicate that the comment was being ignored. People slide off the road in ice and snow, it happens, and there is no evidence that the Police were driving recklessly. As you rightly say, yet another Police bashing comment.