Club books.

Guest Mr.Brown

The Ruskies certainly do - Folk used to barter da old Kay's and Freeman's Club Books with the Russian fishing fleet's water tanker when they berthed at Victoria Pier back in the '70s (LK being the only UK port that they were allowed to come ashore in during the "Cold War".) Many a good hat badge and alternative chocolate bar to be had. The crew took the catalogues back to the USSR so that their rag trade could copy the "modern" western clothes designs etc.

Edited by bug

Nope, the stuff they sold was grossly overpriced so as to cover things like agent commission and to earn interest on payments by instalments.

Once upon a time they were the only realistic alternative to buying in da toon, which had a smaller choice and was at least as expensive if not more so, but thankfully other options slightly more attractive and civilised have reached up via t' interwebs.

Guest Mr.Brown

Funny you say that as the klondykers during the 90's did the same. Some of the charity shops used to ask people to donate club books because they were always getting asked for them. This time of year especially (the run up to the C day) I wish we still had club books, I know you can trawl the internet but it's just not the same.

Guest Mr.Brown

My last post was actually in answer to Bug, I hadn't realised you had come through Ghostrider. I get your points but for people on low incomes being able to pay up in weekly or monthly installments was very useful & there is always a cost for that convenience. The commission you were paid as an agent plus the free postage on most products at least countered some of the extra cost. I actually get this info from my mum who says she would not have been able to give me the Christmases & birthdays I have such great memories of. I wouldn't agree that we have more choice in town than we used to, re the thread on the state of the street.

Guest Mr.Brown

^I meant to say "she (Mum) would not have been able to give me the Christmases & birthdays I have such great memories of if she hadn't had the club books". Also there sales lists were pretty good.