Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Having toddled along the street today i couldn't help but despair at the state of the place, the gable end of the stage door is a disgrace, with historic paintwork from a bygone era appearing through the last coat applied.

The slabs are a mish mash of slate/tarmac akin to a chess board, perhaps hop scotch could become an event on "da street" in the next shopping week jamboree. 

The picnic tables i see have vanished, these i believe were quite popular. Now i know our summer has been not the best but were not even in August yet, grief who's call was that!

The whole street in general looks shabby, i think Beirut could probably put it to shame. Also whist not exactly in the town centre, i hope some plans are in place to protect Da Lodberrie as i have to say they are really starting to show serious signs of wear and tear.

These are but a few observations, i'm sure others have other issues that i may have overlooked to add..

Edited by suuusssiiieee

Des anyone have any idea what Living Lerwick do apart from organising music in Harrison Square? There was a similar organisation in Scalloway and they did a lot of environmetal improvements, such as the stone dykes at the seafront and the car parking at the Shetland Bus memorial. With just one guy working for them too.

Des anyone have any idea what Living Lerwick do apart from organising music in Harrison Square? There was a similar organisation in Scalloway and they did a lot of environmetal improvements, such as the stone dykes at the seafront and the car parking at the Shetland Bus memorial. With just one guy working for them too.

They allegedly promote the street and the surrounding area, with such 'delights' as the shopping week.  They have naff little xmas trees.  They apply for grants.  In turn, they allegedly attempt to rip of many business owners in the area and expect them to cough up or else!  All this whilst organising some markets too ...

Couldn't agree with you more Suuusssiiieee. I was at the market cross last week when it was teeming with visitors of a liner. I looked at the chemist sign and thought what a blooming disgrace this place is.

Not only is the place a disgrace but you have to play dogems with all the cars, both parked and squeezing past you. Why any tourist would find the street of any interest amazes me.

Those in charge of Living Lerwick need to take a walk over the street and they will soon see where any money should be spent.

Many years ago, I would shop on the street several times a week. You could hardly move for people and it was a place to meet friends and go for a coffee. But now I find it a chalange, where you take your life in your hands dogging cars and there are so few shops of interest.

I recall the days where some of the shops like Peter Leasks had canopies above the windows and the street looked more interesting. Now it just looks like a grey carpark.

Get rid of all the cars, put in some nice street furniture and local artwork, seating areas etc etc and tidy the place up so we do not feel embarrassed when tourists arrive.

Yes. It also looks so dirty. Everyone should be made to paint their shop at least every second year. They should also clean and scrub the pavement outside their shop every day. Windows should be washed at least once a week. And even if a shop is empty, the owners should maintain till sold. What a difference it would make to the street. Also the inside of premises should be maintained properly. In this day and age their should be no smell of toilets as you enter some of these pubs in Lerwick. Where are the environmental health people.

I sympatise but the first question to ask is why there is the lack of shops on the street. 

The answer is accessability. Shop owners need to be able to get goods into and out of the buildings easily and safely. 

Is there any property on the street that could accommodate Tesco, Co-op  or any of the hardware stores on the industrial estares,and of course the answer is no.

The majority of folk want to be able to take a vehicle as near the shops as possible,and ample parking at the supermarkets  provide this . 

With a population of 22000 and ever increaseing competition from the internet ect, it is difficult to see how many of the small buisnesses can survive. 

Stopping or prohibiting cars on the street will only aid its demise. 

The traffic on the street is nothing campared to what it was say 20 years ago, pedestrians should always have priority unfortunately many drivers do not respect this.

In towns and villages where pedestrianisation has been successful the population is a lot bigger. It can not work in lerwick.

If the shop owners had a "larger turnower" then i am sure they would be able to afford more paint. I'm sure some are struggling to survive.

Many of the shops will be rented possibly the landlords are the ones to apply a lick of paint.

I assume the 'similar organisation' you refer to was the Waterfront Trust, which had very different objectives to Living Lerwick. 

I sympatise but the first question to ask is why there is the lack of shops on the street. 

The answer is accessability. Shop owners need to be able to get goods into and out of the buildings easily and safely. 

Is there any property on the street that could accommodate Tesco, Co-op  or any of the hardware stores on the industrial estares,and of course the answer is no.

The majority of folk want to be able to take a vehicle as near the shops as possible,and ample parking at the supermarkets  provide this . 

With a population of 22000 and ever increaseing competition from the internet ect, it is difficult to see how many of the small buisnesses can survive. 

Stopping or prohibiting cars on the street will only aid its demise. 

The traffic on the street is nothing campared to what it was say 20 years ago, pedestrians should always have priority unfortunately many drivers do not respect this.

In towns and villages where pedestrianisation has been successful the population is a lot bigger. It can not work in lerwick.

If the shop owners had a "larger turnower" then i am sure they would be able to afford more paint. I'm sure some are struggling to survive.

Many of the shops will be rented possibly the landlords are the ones to apply a lick of paint.

Canna agree with de urabug, I think the main issue is the amount of cars, I cannot recal it ever being as bad as it is just now. We used to walk up and down the street in a Saturday without the problem of dogging cars.

Deliveries could be made at a set time and at all other times the street could be pedestrianised. Last time I was on the street I was nearly hit by two different cars trying to move around the cross and the quantity of vehicles going over the street are destroying the paving. It certainly puts me off.

That aside, the place needs a major facelift.

Talking of the Cross, when did it become "ok" for vehicles leaving the street there to choose which side of the Cross they come down? Most still go round the back of the Cross and go out past High Level, same as everybody used to do, but I've seen a good few over time just cut down between the Cross and Anderson's, once with a couple of Plod watching who didn't bat an eyelid.

Personally I don't entirely blame folk for choosing the Anderson's side to come down seeing as they apparently now allow parking along the side of High Level, it always was a tightish turn to come around the Cross and exit there at the best of times, but with parked vehicles cutting the space by half, a driver either has to get it spot on or perform an impromptu three point turn in the middle of the street prolonging the time they're in folk's way. That said, surely "allowing" folk to come down between the Cross and Anderson's as routine, in the face of traffic attempting to get on the street, however understandable their reasons for choosing to do so, is an accident waiting to happen, whether it be two vehicles locking horns, or somebody getting squashed by a vehicle in such a situation taking evasive action.

Edited by Ghostrider