Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

i have no desire to take my car on the street from the cross to the fort chip shop, and never really have done,  unless you have a blue badge neither should anyone else just now. i just made suggestions of zone times for diffrent possabilitys for other folk, some car times and some car free times too. Having dam right legislation is one way to kill the street, like nearly every other street up and down the country, so when its got no shops but charity shops in it i hope your all happy with the dead street then.   we have to think out of the box not make the box smaller. I would like on the odd ocation be able to get a short term parking space from one of the cars that park on them all day everyday for that rare occation i, and many other folk, might want to nip to the street, thats all.  I'd  also like to say again, its not about being lazy really its about the amount of time people have.

Zone times will be ignored (just like the current 'rules') UNLESS you have someone willing/able to enforce them and, I'm not really sure which box(?) you are thinking out of but, I suspect it is the 'motorist box'.

The lack of short term parking is caused, as you quite rightly state, by long term parkers who are only able to do so because there is no one employed to apply the 'rules'.

None of this has any impact on pedestrians who, in the main, seem better able to organise their lives and do not seem to be in such a rush that they can only afford a few minutes to 'nip to the street'.

Pedestrians also seem better able to negotiate the tables and seating that seem to appear outside one place in particular on a fine day and, the free wi-fi seems to attract a little extra trade from tourists.  Would you also have those removed in order to speed your passage?

I would, respectfully, suggest that if it is really "about the amount of time people have" then, "people" should really get themselves a little better organised and not try to do everything at 100mph....

The argument here appears to be about the 'rights' of motorists over the rest and your continued assertion that banning vehicles witll "kill" the street is, imho, nonsense simply because vehicles have never been "welcome" on the street in the first place and, generally, contribute nothing to the income of the various shops because, quite simply, they are "just passing through".

Walking the length of the street takes me a leisurely 2-3 minutes.  Driving along the street, if you are behind me, will take you exactly the same amount of time.  The difference is that I can easily nip in and out of shops as required whilst, drivers cannot..

The parking available in our town centre is better than most of the towns I've visited.

It must be hard for our small independent retailers to compete with large internet retailers, auction sites and supermarkets, with charity shops filling the void, I don't know if there's a solution to this.

The number of pubs seems about right for the size of the town, I read somewhere that some town centres were deserted during the day because of a large number of pubs and takeaways only opening in the evenings.

The cafe/restaurant numbers seem to manage demand at the weekends (I don't have the opportunity to visit through the week so can't comment on that.)

We don't have the large numbers of bookies and pawn brokers you see in other town centres.

There does seem to be a lack of public space around the street, I always thought more could be made of the area within the Fort and Victoria pier, although I appreciate it would cut down on parking and it is a busy working harbour.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to one trader who said that the bollards near Clydesdale had really affected their trade.  "People just won't walk these days" they said.  I can certainly understand if you have mobility impairment or if you are running a major international conglomerate from Shetland and just don't have the tme to spare to get to the chemist without going in a car.  You could send one of your staff though.  Mainly it is plain idleness.  You don't know how lucky you are with all the free parking within 100 yards of the shops.  Take a trip down south and you can pay through the nose for your parking.

More enlightened places south, admittedly with better weather conditions, have seen environments completely change when the places have been pedestrianised.  Shops have seen a greater footfall and spend.  The must get out of here mentality has changed to one of a relaxed environment.

Of course, greedy landlords won't help the longevity of shops in the street that seem to pop up and disappear in no time at all, but one traffic-free day would surely not be too much to ask for, and preferably one when the shops are open.

Edited by BigMouth

Let's face it, Commercial Street was not designed for cars and vans to drive along. A Shetland pony or two, possibly pulling a wee cart, is the most that the street can handle but, strangely enough, you never see them nowadays. You do see people driving cars for thirty or forty yards because they feel that everyone should be aware that they're in a hurry, though. Don't give in to them, don't get out of their way. Make them wait, and therefore make their short trip really feel like a waste of time. After all, it's a waste of everybody else's time every time they pass by and expect us to get out of their way because they're important people and in a (supposedly) great hurry.

but one traffic-free day would surely not be too much to ask for, and preferably one when the shops are open.

This is an excellent idea BigMouth. they could have two days a week with no traffic, other than disabled, to see how this affects business. Surely the shops can organised deliveries etc out with these two days.

It would be worth trying it for a trial period of say six months to see how it affects people using the street.

surely if shops gain no trade by cars being able to park outside for free supermarkets and shopping centres all over the country would cashing in selling there land local examples exist of the benefits to trade seen by more parking look at bolts after they got rid of there pumps yet it was only 30 metres to walk from there car park at the toll clock but people still wanted to be able to stop outside the door

I for one would be happy to have a slow meander down the street exploring the shops (and spending cash) if I didn't feel my two small children were about to get mown down at any moment... as it is I tend to get in and get out asap. 

My aim if I win enough on the lottery is to hire some large but friendly guys, a lawyer to check that what we do is legal and then get them to walk up the street very very slowly blocking all illegal traffic but of course giving way to disabled badge holders although slightly reluctantly in some cases.

surely if shops gain no trade by cars being able to park outside for free supermarkets and shopping centres all over the country would cashing in selling there land local examples exist of the benefits to trade seen by more parking look at bolts after they got rid of there pumps yet it was only 30 metres to walk from there car park at the toll clock but people still wanted to be able to stop outside the door

I don't think anyone would argue with you on that point, Rum Lover, certainly not me.

The problem we have is the suitability of the street itself for traffic. As you've pointed out, rather than use the large car park at the Toll Clock, people would sooner jam into the very restricted parking where the pumps used to be rather than walk a few extra metres.

The same applies on the street, there's plenty of free parking (and there art thou happy) within metres of the street but, given the green light, all the lazy half-wits currently jamming up the Toll Clock and their brethren will have the Street looking like a log jam and to hell with anyone who dares to get in between them and their 'right' to park there.

Burn them, burn them all I say!