Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Regarding the Noost I am not sure really , I did hear pub but it might not be.

So how many empty premises are there now ?

Stage Door shop

Swansons

Noost

Former Butchers shop/Food store

Coffee and Keetchin , soon to be ?

I'd have thought C&K might be worth trying to sell rather than shut its doors, but perhaps the school move has had impact.

Stage Door - this and a few other examples (Tatties & Point etc.) - unless they're tied up in complex liquidation processes, why don't they sell on the premises? (presumably business rates are still being paid)

Who owns these shops?

Is it all rental and landlords or freehold?

Is there one main landlord or many?

Does Shetland Pony Everything beckon?

Like pretty much everything else on the street, ownership is a mish mash of all of the above as far as I'm aware.There are at least a couple of multiple premises landlords who've bought up a few over time who've either by intent or circumstance ended up just letting them out, but there are plenty just single owner landlord, or owned by the occupier as well.

I think Commercial St needs a chain like Dealz to open up here, at least then the range of stock that Dealz do (similar to Woolworths) would surely attract more footfall to da street. 

As it stands now, hand on heart you'd have to be either very brave or extremely mad to chance your luck opening an enterprise if the bodies just aren't around to make it viable. 

Starting a business or opening a shop has always been a big risk, and believe you me, it's not for the faint hearted.

Even more of a risk now with the internet and the lack of footfall.

Most folk that might have a good idea but never go for it, instead they get stuck in the 9-5 work routine with a guaranteed sum of money in their pocket at the end of the week or month.

You are highly un-likely to make a fortune with a shop now a days.

It all depends on what your personal life is like and how you want to live.

If you have a family and children to support, want flash cars, go on holiday once or twice a year, etc, then it's not going to work as there isn't enough profit.

But, if you are like me, on your own, no interest in jetting off on holiday and no interest in a flash lifestyle, then it will probably work.

As I always say, it is hard being in business, but long as I can pay the bills, able to buy fresh stock, and be able to buy something to eat at the end of the day, then I am happy.

Edited by Lerwick antiques

I think Commercial St needs a chain like Dealz to open up here, at least then the range of stock that Dealz do (similar to Woolworths) would surely attract more footfall to da street. 

As it stands now, hand on heart you'd have to be either very brave or extremely mad to chance your luck opening an enterprise if the bodies just aren't around to make it viable. 

problem with opening anything on the street is that all the shops are very small so its extremely difficult to do much

Guest tiodylb17

Plus most of them are probably listed buildings , so you couldn't just stick in some UPVC double glazed units , you'd have to go like for like and all the hassle with planning consent.

Maybe if the council also helped a bit more, I know budgets are tight, but come on, the street with patch tarmac everywhere is not good, and some of it has not even been finished particularly well. I’m sure they could have purchased some stone or slate from somewhere and tried to match it in, instead of the bodged tarmac which would still cost. Yet so much of the council money is wasted away in other areas, for sake of maintaining some people jobs etc.

It all helps to maintain a better look, the whole street at present looks like the island community doesn’t care, and looks depressing and that is on a sunny day.

Lerwick has become a ghost town, to be honest a total embarrassment to locals and visitors alike a real shame, because potentially it could have a lot to offer, with council help and getting rid of the unnecessary high costs.

Does the camera shop flog mobiles?

There's a computer shop at Freefield.

The Camera Shop do I believe, but on the dated and rather high price side, and a pretty limited range last I heard.

Where's the computer place at Freefield? They're hardly making themselves known much, last I was aware the office supplies place at Gremista that closed down once Petrofac weren't around to flog things to any more, was the only one in town.

Edited by Ghostrider

The Camera Shop do I believe, but on the dated and rather high price side, and a pretty limited range last I heard.

Where's the computer place at Freefield? They're hardly making themselves known much, last I was aware the office supplies place at Gremista that closed down once Petrofac weren't around to flog things to any more, was the only one in town.

i.t.s is next to muddy bay and gts are behind leasks garage cant speak for i.t.s but gts do a good job i would say the camera have a pretty good range and they are pretty competitive on price

i.t.s is next to muddy bay and gts are behind leasks garage cant speak for i.t.s but gts do a good job i would say the camera have a pretty good range and they are pretty competitive on price

Does the "pretty competitive" bit have anything to do with reality, like buying online?

Edited by George.