Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Does the camera shop flog mobiles?

There's a computer shop at Freefield.

The Camera Shop do I believe, but on the dated and rather high price side, and a pretty limited range last I heard.

Where's the computer place at Freefield? They're hardly making themselves known much, last I was aware the office supplies place at Gremista that closed down once Petrofac weren't around to flog things to any more, was the only one in town.

i.t.s is next to muddy bay and gts are behind leasks garage cant speak for i.t.s but gts do a good job i would say the camera have a pretty good range and they are pretty competitive on price

Does the "pretty competitive" bit have anything to do with reality, like buying online?

yes have compared prices before and recently purchased a nokia 3310 from the camera centre which was cheaper than online which prices have you compared?

Does the camera shop flog mobiles?

There's a computer shop at Freefield.

The Camera Shop do I believe, but on the dated and rather high price side, and a pretty limited range last I heard.

Where's the computer place at Freefield? They're hardly making themselves known much, last I was aware the office supplies place at Gremista that closed down once Petrofac weren't around to flog things to any more, was the only one in town.

i.t.s is next to muddy bay and gts are behind leasks garage cant speak for i.t.s but gts do a good job i would say the camera have a pretty good range and they are pretty competitive on price

Does the "pretty competitive" bit have anything to do with reality, like buying online?

yes have compared prices before and recently purchased a nokia 3310 from the camera centre which was cheaper than online which prices have you compared?

Amazon prices used to be markedly cheaper. They have increased lately but are still much cheaper than local.

Is the prices of goods in the shops a big problem?

I have bought quite a few things from the internet and usually been quite disappointed by the quality of the goods, plus a lot of places either will not ship to "Scottish Islands" or want a stupid postal charge by various shipping companies that take a while to be delivered here.

It probably really depends what you are looking for, but I have personally found that most shops tend to sell quality items, might be a bit more expensive, but atlease you can see/handle what you are buying and most places offer a guarantee on new items.

It probably really depends what you are looking for, but I have personally found that most shops tend to sell quality items, might be a bit more expensive, but atlease you can see/handle what you are buying and most places offer a guarantee on new items.

Goodness, most places offer a guarantee on new items? Is that not implicit on new items?

Edited by George.

I find that most local retailers not only sell online but are well aware of online prices and price accordingly or will match them. I know it’s easier to sit on the couch and order online, and a lot of people have been put off visiting Commercial Street, by the speed bumps and the general negativity surrounding their installation.

Is the prices of goods in the shops a big problem?

Its just one more factor of the many. Personally I can live with paying 10%-20% over the odds where viewing and/or needing it ASAP if not sooner factor in, but more than that does feel like someone is taking the proveribal......I've come across places in the toon taking 50% in the past, and that is just a piss boiler.

It probably matters more for folk outide of the toon, as when you factor in having to take time out to make a trip for it plus the petrol cost, against wating a few days for delivery to your door from the web, the latter quickly looks the better idea.

^ Its a two way thing though. If you can see a business is at least trying the best they can to be competitive you don't mind paying that little extra/putting up with a lesser choice just for the convenience and availability of having someplace local, but when a business is just plain trying to deal with, maybe the quicker they're gone the better.

There are limits to what you'll put up with just to see a business owner running flash cars and living in sprawling mansions, when its paid for by a business with sky high prices and poor choice/service.

Not everybody is in a position to be choosy either, some folk due to circumstance have to buy the best deal available for the good of their own survival.

Unfortunately a very long time ago a number of street businesses developed a reputation which by default in time got applied to the whole area, of being 'this is what we have, and this is the price it is, and you'll either have to like it or do without, as you've no place else to get it from outfits. Yeah, sure, times have moved on and attitudes have improved greatly, but its a reputation the street still has to shake off entirely, especially with the older folk who remember them when that reputation was well earned and deserved, and ironically those are probably the people most likely to support the street in the present, as they're probably the demographic with least internet access and use to be able to use it as an alternative - but the street as it was lost them forever to the 'club book' generation/culture a long time ago.