Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Guest tiodylb17

I totally agree , there are several places I don't use anymore for shopping and automotive services due to a combination of past customer service, unreasonable prices and attitude of the owners.

Edited by tiodylb17

Interesting read but nothing I have not seen before, I have always said that it's not just Commercial street that is suffering, but all high streets in the UK are having a hard time.

Difference is that Shetland has thousands of visitors during the summer with folk on holiday, cruse ships, wool week and up helly aa. But don't expect a big increase in sales from them either.

Us living on shetland has limited choice, as it is not cheap or very practical to go to the mainland to buy something, plus more and more online sellers seem to not post to "Scottish islands" and if they do then they want a punchy price, often the postage price to Shetland is more than the item price.

I think you need to let the seller know there is a problem. I bought something online today that weighs about 6 pounds. It is smaller than my fist, but obviously quite dense. Postage quote was £40 by post. I asked him to try Herpes instead, cheap parcel carrier, and he came back with £14. Some say they don't ship up here so either persuade them or shop elsewhere. I bought a wool mix blanket at the weekend and the seller said, if you order more than one I will ask you for £10 extra for the postage up there. So I ordered one. I may order another one, one at a time and everyone is happy. The other option is to get one of the cheap parcel carriers to pick up from the vendor.

Guest tiodylb17

I walked by the old hydro shop today and it now has some window graphics which call it the dowry, and it says eat drink till late, is beervanna no more ?

Yes to the former.

It’s rare that something opens in Lerwick that interests me, but this guy will be selling deli food, hopefully decent coffee, and cider, plus other stuff that won’t interest me, but others will queue up for. They are advertising for staff. There’s a note in the window apparently. Don’t know if there is anything in the local rag as I don’t read it.

Guest tiodylb17

Will they re~start beervanna elsewhere then ? I noticed Tesco had a huge range of different craft beers now, so maybe it became unviable as a business ?