Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

• 1 month later...

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/16375-drivers-urged-to-heed-rules-and-look-out-for-pedestrians-on-da-street

Fine to see somebody taking notice of the daily mayhem that happens on Commercial Street.

Just wonder if they will back it up by placing a couple of policemen in the small layby at the Grand.  IMHO Anyone caught on the street deserves a fine..  After all, the rules are there for a reason.

There is no commercial benefit to cars owned by the general public to drive down the street. It would be far easier just to make it a pedestrian zone through the summer months. I say this because it "looks" like a pedestrian zone, and I think this catches tourists by surprise when they find a car drives up behind them as they're meandering along.

There is no commercial benefit to cars owned by the general public to drive down the street. It would be far easier just to make it a pedestrian zone through the summer months. I say this because it "looks" like a pedestrian zone, and I think this catches tourists by surprise when they find a car drives up behind them as they're meandering along.

It is a pedestrian zone between 11.30 - 5.30, just nobody takes much notice of it.

Edited by George.

Perhaps someone needs to take a closer look at the road sign. A motorbike above a car on a white background with a red circle around it means no MOTOR vehicles, subject to the additional restrictions/permissions. Cyclists are amongst many non-motor vehicles that can legally ride along there, as long as they are travelling in the right direction, at any time of day or night.

You take your life in your hands, when cars come along Commercial Street. Its not really wide enough for modern cars and must be particularly difficult for infirm people trying to avoid them. Its ironic that most of the culprits are themselves blue badge holders.

Most of the disabled are blue badge holders Check 2.e on Traffic Regulations for Commercial Street, it's quite legal for them to drive on the street. There are unfortunately a large amount of vehicles without blue badges that regularly drive along Commercial Street, often parking outside the shops that they want to nip into. They should be convicted.

You take your life in your hands, when cars come along Commercial Street. Its not really wide enough for modern cars and must be particularly difficult for infirm people trying to avoid them. Its ironic that most of the culprits are themselves blue badge holders.

Maybe folk's tolerance and expectations have changed, but 40 year ago you had P&O's flat bed truck through multiple times most days stopping and starting at numerous premises doing deliveries from the boat, the Essy Kert daily, along with numerous transit/CF size/style vans doing deliveries/collections every day, some with Luton bodies on them, Gray's and Knowles being two I recall. All were as wide if not wider than the vast majority of modern cars.

Sure, I think I can simplify (expand?) that for you  :thmbsup  What this means is that the shops themselves do not benefit financially from those cars merely using the street as a cut through. While at the same time they can be a nuisance to pedestrians.

Edited by gregorymartin

When did they allow bikes back on the street, back in the day they were banned too. They even had a sign up at the Cross specially banning them, and you got shouted at by little old ladies or had walking sticks waved at you by doddery old men if you dared ignore that ban 9 to 5. Thankfully after 5 they went home for their early evening nap and to watch Crossroads, so you could get on with it in peace.