Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Debenhams are closing branches on the mainland, formerly a staple of the high street so to speak. Shopping has changed as the opportunity to buy online has burgeoned. It's good to see Da Street moving with the trend of an increase in eateries, and increasingly with improved standards. It would be good to see the rest of the properties converted to accommodation and put into the hands of those that need accommodating rather than the property speculators, who make accommodation cost more for those that need to rent.

You will find it's mostly for cruise ship passengers.

It applies to the whole of Scotland. You don't get cruise ships in Linlithgow.

Actions include making towns and cities friendlier and safer spaces for pedestrians and cyclists by increasing investment that supports active travel from £40 million to £80 million per year from 2018-19.’

Edited by George.

My t'uppence worth...

I can't recall ever not finding a parking place in town. It might require investigating the pier, fort and/or old swimming pool, or a lap of the town, but my recollection is that always being the case.

I don't even notice the traffic calming measures now. I find it odd that people see the speed bumps as a negative.

As long as people put a higher value on the rock-bottom prices and 'everything under one roof' convenience of supermarkets than supporting local shops, the town centre shops will struggle. It's an inevitability. I wonder how many of the people who complain about the town centre use supermarkets for the bulk of their shopping? Is that hypocritical?

Painting a picture of the town centre as a wasteground that the local authority and other organisations are determined to destroy probably won't help attract shoppers.

Edited by Davie P

Guest PJS1979

Few places i noticed were getting work done in them, formerly Swansons jewlers, and stage door/televradio next to old bakers place, other one is the place next to the gurka kitchen used to be jackies cards, anyone know whats going in any of these premises ?

Edited by PJS1979

One of the biggest problems with Commercial street and esplanade is that the SIC and LL are both hell bent on pleasing these cruise ships. That speed bumps etc they installed last year was for cruise ship passengers. Everything they do is to "improve" for cruise ships and bend over backwards to "set an example" to these cruise ships.

It's the same with this "car fee" street, it's for the benefit of cruise ship passengers.

I thought that it was for the benefit of people walking along the street, looking in the shops here and there. Checking what one shop has in comparison to what another shop has - without getting run over.

Not often I say this George, But agreed!

I have no more than a very basic idea what these 'tourist friendly' items might be, but it sure as hell ain't going to be second hand clothes from a charity shop, newspapers, shoes, spectacles etc. This is all stuff that WE buy.

This is a key point. From the retail workers I know, the cruise ship passengers are after small novelty keepsakes with 'Shetland' written on it or something that is intrinsically Shetland-y like knitwear. That makes sense - if I was on a cruise I wouldn't be filling my cabin with generic 'stuff' every time I took a run ashore.

There was an article in the Shetland times on 12th October 2018 about the trade on street etc. Living Lerwick manager says (I quote) "Lack of parking in town an urban myth, says Living Lerwick manager" What planet do these folk live on?

It is an urban myth - there are plenty of parking spaces. The problem is that too many able-bodied drivers are unwilling to get off their backsides and walk the relatively short distance from them to the street.

The new business owners who were interviewed for the same article generally seemed positive about its future – and for those that have started up just this year, the heinous speed bumps clearly didn’t deter them from deciding to invest. That suggests to me that if you have a business that offers folk what they want (be it on price, product, good customer service etc.) parking or traffic calming isn’t necessarily a deterrent.

Another headline article in the same paper reported that levels of obesity are still too high locally. Which comes back to my first point….

It is not a urban myth, Folk often says they are put off going to da street due to no parking. I for one avoid taken my van to any where near da street as I would just end up going in circles looking for somewhere to park it and having to carefully maneuver around that cars that keep parking at the market cross. 

So, going by your last paragraph, you think the problem is obesity? what about infirm folk that can't walk far? might seem a good idea parking behind the grand hotel but it's a steep hike back up which a lot of elderly or disabled folk aren't able for.

It would be a good way of thinking that folk would make a special trip to get something they want, but the reality of it is they don't unless they have easy access.

Any one that thinks that parking, difficult access and speed clamming measures don't put folk of is living on a different planet and needs to get out there and speak to the public.

But I do agree that it is nice to see new businesses opening and I wish them all the best.

Edited by Lerwick antiques

Can someone please explain to me what the actual problems are with the traffic calming measures? I genuinely don't get it.

A couple of folks I know have complained to me about it, but when pressed about the nub of their complaint they don't have a particular reason other than "Lot o bruk. Joost da bloody cooncil wastin money etc etc"

Also, @Lerwick Antiques - what do you suggest re: parking and improving access? I can't see much that can be done without demolishing buildings

Edited by Davie P

All it really takes is a little imagination (?)

eg;

Plenty of local musicians have recorded CD's of their performances.  Why not entertain (?) tourists on Da Street and offer some CD's for sale whilst you're about it ?  This summer, I saw quite a number of young musicians on the street and they were attracting quite a bit of attention.  Where were the CD's ?

Postcards of scenes from around the Island.  Cheap(ish) to produce and a nice little lighweight momento that will not clutter up your luggage.  In fact, they can be posted home....

Pebbles from around the Island with the word 'Shetland' emblazoned on them.  Cost almost nothing but a little effort to produce (?) and might well be worth a punt.  If they don't sell then, what have you lost ?

Little 'woolly' Shetland Ponies.  Speaks for itself.  Plenty of wool around here.

Photos of Lerwick's (and other places) architecture.  If you can be bothered to open your eyes, there is plenty to see.

Enterprise.. One of the chef's at one of the local hotels is a pretty nifty photographer.  He has a number of photographs that he has framed and offers for sale (not just to tourists) and, to the best of my knowledge, has sold a few this year.

Morale;

If you want it bad enough, go out and get it..  Just don't expect it to fall into your lap.

Anyone want to try any of these things ?  Kickbacks accepted. :thmbsup

Don't whinge about the tourists.  Get your own back and exploit them.

Edited by Colin

Can someone please explain to me what the actual problems are with the traffic calming measures? I genuinely don't get it.

A couple of folks I know have complained to me about it, but when pressed about the nub of their complaint they don't have a particular reason other than "Lot o bruk. Joost da bloody cooncil wastin money etc etc"

The only REAL problem I have with the traffic calming is that it has slowed traffic to the point where, at times, it is almost 'bumper to bumper', and that makes crossing roads on foot quite difficult and, sometimes, a little dangerous.

Consider the following;

18 year old Spotty Faced Leadfoot (not his real name or age <G>) is forced to crawl along the Esplanade and, once he has passed the junction at Don Leslie's decided to 'welly it' a bit up Church Road.  Problem is that, because it is a 'blind' corner, he is unaware that someone is half way across the Zebra Crossing and has to brake quite sharply.  Worse still, sometimes he is also using his mobile and doesn't see anyone, never mind the braking bit, just carries straight on. 

Happened to me on a few occasions to the point that I no longer use the crossing..

Was the traffic calming necessary..  NO, not really.  It was an answer to a problem(?) that didn't exist and has only served to create more serious problems.

If the street wants to attract more trade from the cruise boats, not only do the businesses on it need to sell what these tourists can be persuaded to buy (whatever that is), they also need to be drawn to the street to do so.

If you'd just stepped ashore on the pier for teh first time in your life, and the one or two shops around the cross didn't immediately catch your eye, just taking in the scene in front of you, you'd think LHD, the Thule, the back end of Harry and a couple of banks was all the businesses within sight/walking distance.

A bit more signage and advertising 'in their faces' as they land wouldn't go amiss in at least tempting a few and dragging them in the right general direction. Although after planning's meltdown over the T I can well understand why folk might well be quite reluctant to consider erecting anything flashy and eyecatching.