Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

What's the problem with the traffic calming measures?

I find them frustrating to navigate, even at the correct speed or less. Side-to-side car shaking when you have back ache is no fun.

If all one has to worry about in the world is traffic humps, then you have little to worry about. By avoiding the traffic calming they are making it easier for me to cross the road though, so thanks for that.

My pleasure, though I think avoidance wasn't an objective when they were implemented.

Car wrecking speed bumps are an abomination!

Why take a perfectly good smooth road and ruin it by sticking suspension busting, back breaking humps on it?

Surely a 20MPH speed limit, a couple of speed cameras or even a police presence now and again would have the same traffic slowing effect.

If I wanted to enjoy off roading thrills I would've bought a 4X4 and went on a hill somewhere, I didn't expect to need one going to the street for a jolly.

The funny thing is, if you're sitting in a 4x4, van, bus, truck or even a slightly wider car you can sail over those horrible square bumps without even touching them, the rest of us aren't as fortunate.

Edited by Capeesh

I find them frustrating to navigate, even at the correct speed or less. Side-to-side car shaking when you have back ache is no fun.

I suffer from epilepsy. I can go into seizure at any time of the day or night and sometimes when trying to cross the road, therefore I appreciate the speed limit that traffic is supposed to adhere to. Traffic calming measures are put in to stop drivers breaking the speed limit and thankfully that has possibly helped to stop me being run over while in seizure and therefore unable to protect myself.

If I was you, I'd pop into Boots and buy some codeine. I understand it's good at dealing with back ache.

@George;  I'm not unsympathetic but, that's just conjecture.  You don't even live in Lerwick, and at the time of day that you are likely to be in town, traffic is "crawling" anyway. 

Really, Colin? I would certainly like to see some proof to justify that statement.

Speeding in a vehicle happens worldwide, every hour of the day, every day of the week and every week of the year. In doing that, it causes the same problem everywhere that it happens, not just to Lerwick. It happened everywhere, literally. When I could drive I was guilty of it myself, and quite regularly guilty of it. Then, I didn't understand the problems that could occur amongst so many people. It has always happened since they invented the motor engine. It will continue to happen and it won't go away.

Don't forget, keep your eyes out for those speed bumps :!:

ps. I'm sure that you believed in yourself that you were joking :thmbsup

Edited by George.

@George;  I'm not unsympathetic but, that's just conjecture.  You don't even live in Lerwick, and at the time of day that you are likely to be in town, traffic is "crawling" anyway. 

Really, Colin? I would certainly like to see some proof to justify that statement.

Speeding in a vehicle happens worldwide, every hour of the day, every day of the week and every week of the year. In doing that, it causes the same problem everywhere that happens, not just in Lerwick. It happened everywhere, It literally happens everywhere. When I could drive I was guilty of it myself, and quite regularly guilty of it. Then, I didn't understand the problems that could occur amongst so many people. It has always happened since they invented the motor engine. It will continue to happen and it won't go away.

Don't forget, keep your eyes out for those speed bumps :!:

ps. I'm sure that you believed in yourself that you were joking :thmbsup

Edited by George.

No problem George.  Don't take my word for it, just drag yourself in there and see for yourself..

No problem George.  Don't take my word for it, just drag yourself in there and see for yourself..

No problem? Nothing provided? Goodness, it makes you wonder, doesn't it?

By the way, I did ask for justification of a statement made previously. It hasn't come yet. I wonder why?

Edited by George.