Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Car wrecking speed bumps are an abomination!

Why take a perfectly good smooth road and ruin it by sticking suspension busting, back breaking humps on it?

Surely a 20MPH speed limit, a couple of speed cameras or even a police presence now and again would have the same traffic slowing effect.

If I wanted to enjoy off roading thrills I would've bought a 4X4 and went on a hill somewhere, I didn't expect to need one going to the street for a jolly.

The funny thing is, if you're sitting in a 4x4, van, bus, truck or even a slightly wider car you can sail over those horrible square bumps without even touching them, the rest of us aren't as fortunate.

Only car wrecking if you are going over the speed limit and that is surely the point.

Shetlink must be a haven for captains of industry running multiple industrial conglomerates judging by the number of people here who can't slow down for a few seconds to drive over a speed bump!  Time is money!

^^^Or it could be full of mechanics making a fortune re-aligning wheels and fixing knackered suspensions...kerching £££££.

Sweeping generalisations are fun aren't they?

Edited by Capeesh

Esplanade/crossing at Queens speed bumps I get, and to be clear, not against (well i think they could have tried a 20mph speed limit first...). Scalloway road and commercial road I don’t.

Wouldn't it have been sensible to lay off roads that lead to parking or are considered main roads/access roads to other areas other than the street? Again about balance.

Also, a lot of the best free parking is hogged all day by staff. Time limit them? (No staff without customers).

Edited by tooney1

Why have they put up speed bumps on the Esplanade and nowhere near the Gilbert Bain? Why have they put up speed bumps on the Esplanade and nowhere near the schools? Why have they put up speed bumps on the Esplanade and pretty well nowhere else?

There's a primary school about two miles up the road from me, just on the edge of Urafirth. There is a sign that tells you what the speed limit is on both sides of the school but there's no speed bumps anywhere near. I wonder if one single person in the S. I. C. could justify that? I even wonder why the pavement outside the school is about a hundred yards long, when the vast majority of the kids at the school live at least two miles away.

Aren't their wee speed bumps great :roll: 

Edited by George.

I saved two "woolweekers'" lives who blithely stepped onto the swirly on The Esplanade not even looking or checking in case of traffic.

They thought it was a crossing area where pedestrians have right of way - a new fangled zebra crossing.

Those swirly things need a proper signpost explanation.  They are a menace.

Shetlink must be a haven for captains of industry running multiple industrial conglomerates judging by the number of people here who can't slow down for a few seconds to drive over a speed bump!  Time is money!

Its just that I'm not masochistic enough to spend a second longer than is absolutely necessary in the toon, let alone the "centre" of it..... Life is far too short to have that level of negativity in it.

I think on the whole da street has improved a lot this year with a few new places opening up. The chocolate shop is moving into where the chemist was at the cross and there is supposed to be a barber opening up in the place where the chocolate shop was. Some shops have also had a revamp, so things seem to be looking up. Hopefully it will attract more folk to da street on a more regular basis. Us shop keepers are trying and will welcome you.

• 2 weeks later...

I saved two "woolweekers'" lives who blithely stepped onto the swirly on The Esplanade not even looking or checking in case of traffic.

They thought it was a crossing area where pedestrians have right of way - a new fangled zebra crossing.

Darwinism at work.  They look nothing like any other zebra, pelican or toucan crossings that I have seen.  I can't understand why anyone should mistake them as such unless they are visually impaired (but I can't see it), or hard of thinking.

See what I did there?

Darwinism at work.  They look nothing like any other zebra, pelican or toucan crossings that I have seen.  I can't understand why anyone should mistake them as such unless they are visually impaired (but I can't see it), or hard of thinking.

See what I did there?

For those from abroad, (and possibly me), I have no idea what a chocolatey tarmac swirl on the road actually means.

I see there is another letter in The Shetland Times this week about moving the Shetland College to a better location in Lerwick. 

I can recall that many moons ago (early 1990s) before the current college at Gremista was built that a master plan to include the Fisheries and Shetland College into one big campus up at The Knab.

Its a shame now thinking about it that those plans were not actually granted.  Therefore I would welcome an open public debate with as many college students and other interested people to add support for getting the elected leaders to stop being selfish and hear the points raised as again this could be an ideal solution to regenerate the town centre.

Those buildings out at Gremista even with the new extension were only meant to be a temporary measure and I for one believe it would as been suggested make a better SIC headquarters. 

Don't they have equipment out there at Gremista for video conferences if so would this not be a benefit for council meetings south of Shetland to actually make use of ?

I have added this comments here as I totally support the idea of a relocated college with possible benefits going towards Lerwick Town Centre.

Edited by rolly2

Its a shame now thinking about it that those plans were not actually granted.  Therefore I would welcome an open public debate with as many college students and other interested people to add support for getting the elected leaders to stop being selfish and hear the points raised as again this could be an ideal solution to regenerate the town centre.

Don't they have equipment out there at Gremista for video conferences if so would this not be a benefit for council meetings south of Shetland to actually make use of ?

so you would happily move the fisheries college from scalloway to the toon, will this not have a negative impact on scalloway? or does that not matter?

as for the video conferencing, it would be easy to set it up any where with an internet connection 

I see there is another letter in The Shetland Times this week about moving the Shetland College to a better location in Lerwick.

Well, the SIC will need to try and find a 'productive' use for the HNP shed site, now that the hostel scheme seems to have gone off the boil with the sooth speculator/carpet bagger..

Was the HNP site sale ever finalised, or have the SIC acquired it for a chunk of the £17 Mill? We, the mere public never get told these things, despite it being "our" money, "our" property.....

Regardless if it was completed, the sooth boyo will no doubt be pressuring SLAP to buy it back for at least what he paid for it, if his latest money-maker isn't going to fly there - he comes off as at least to smart enough to only make acqusitions on a 'sale or return' basis....

Build a new college at HNP, leave Gremista to the Fisheries boys, its within cry raek of the sea and piers, they'd be okay there.....

Sure, it sucks to be Scalloway if it goes that way, and all that's been gained is an empty building sitting at Port Ertir.....but, you know, big city, everything that's anything must be in the big city. They'd want Sullom, Scatsta and Sumburgh moved there too if they had room.