Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Most of my customers are local or folk up on holiday, not cruse ship tourists.

Mind one day last year, there was two cruse ships in, there was around 400 of them along my shop and my only sale was to a local person.

The other shop owners I know all says the same.

Now folk are wanting the shops to open on Sunday's.

The only Sunday that might be worth opening is the Sunday before christmas for folk doing christmas shopping.

The shops in the street would moan less if they sold more. They would sell more if they stocked what the customer would like to buy. Whilst I think a range of Audemars Piguet or Patek Phillipe may be a little too much to ask, surely a bag of sweets isn’t? The shop from where I buy my sweets had a very popular line, so popular that they quickly sold out. I waited patiently whilst they came in, nothing. Asked if they had any in hiding away, no. Asked if they would be getting more in, they didn’t know. Comically walked around the shop bemoaning the lack of these sweets, no reaction. They are not made from the breath of 21 year old, blonde, Liverpudlian virgins. I am not expecting the staff to prostate themselves upon my entrance into their emporium.

Oh well, at least there is usually a box of out of date stuff going cheap. It must be the goods that they stock that people don't want to buy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see the SIC are consulting on whether the street should be car free for most of the day. Well they have made it people free and damn near shop free so I don't suppose car free will make much difference.

Link - http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/17166-sic-explores-da-street-going-car-free

Edited by admin
link added by admin

The SIC have made access and parking as difficult as they can over the years. It's a real problem for customers and for us who tries to run shops and businesses on da street or Esplanade.

There was an article in the Shetland times on 12th October 2018 about the trade on street etc. Living Lerwick manager says (I quote) "Lack of parking in town an urban myth, says Living Lerwick manager" What planet do these folk live on?

One of the biggest problems with Commercial street and esplanade is that the SIC and LL are both hell bent on pleasing these cruise ships. That speed bumps etc they installed last year was for cruise ship passengers. Everything they do is to "improve" for cruise ships and bend over backwards to "set an example" to these cruise ships.

It's the same with this "car fee" street, it's for the benefit of cruise ship passengers.

This is all very fine and well as wouldn't want to give a bad impression to visiting cruise ships, but it is having a terrible effect on shoppers and shop/business trade.

No one asks the general public or shop/business owners what they think, this is where Living Lerwick is supposed to come in, as they are supposed to be a voice for business owners and the public, and take on board opinions to put across to SIC. But how can they seeing as they are in league with the SIC? Anyones opinion just falls on deaf ears and the SIC will bomb ahead regardless of what anyone says.

Be a sad day when the town gets completely destroyed and all left will be empty buildings with a hand full of shops, sure the SIC will be happy then.

Edited by Lerwick antiques

One of the biggest problems with Commercial street and esplanade is that the SIC and LL are both hell bent on pleasing these cruise ships. That speed bumps etc they installed last year was for cruise ship passengers. Everything they do is to "improve" for cruise ships and bend over backwards to "set an example" to these cruise ships.

It's the same with this "car fee" street, it's for the benefit of cruise ship passengers.

I thought that it was for the benefit of people walking along the street, looking in the shops here and there. Checking what one shop has in comparison to what another shop has - without getting run over.

You will find it's mostly for cruise ship passengers. Da street has had cars, trucks and buses going through it for many, many years. They even widened "da roost" to allow cars to go through.

They are trying to make the town into something it is not, never been, or ever will be.

That cruise ships is just about the worse thing that has happened to the town. Only folk who benefit is LPA and the bus tours. Most locals avoid da street when these cruise ships are in, so more cruise ships that come makes more days of zero income to Shop/business owners.

The town is ruined, not the town I grew up in.

Edited by Lerwick antiques