Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

^ Having a budget for something, and taking a decision to actually spend it are two very separate and very different things. Unspent or spent on something that returns a profit is usually considered a better use of those funds in business.

Repairs per se are expenditure that in on of itself returns nothing to the bottom line, so from a business perspective spending on it only becomes justifiable if undone they create additional un-necessary repair costs in the longer term, or are in some way restricting the overall profitability of the business.

The Toll Clock's business is leasing units to other businesses, so a small long as the leased out space isn't impinged upon and the structural integrity of the building isn't compromised, they're hardly likely to see any need to incur that expenditure. The external appearance of the building only affects their business minimally, so until and unless they're losing leases on the grounds of the tatty exterior, or leaseholders are complaining they're losing trade because of it, there's no incentive for them to address it. That's business I'm afraid.

The butcher and baker are long gone ? , does Tesco not having something to do with that ?

You pair are terrible and totally misguided blaming the town centre state on the SIC only , what about internet shopping ???

It's more to do with the idleness of the able-bodied not wanting to walk to buy anything. If they can park in the shop doorway, they go somewhere else.

Don't think I would want to see council/taxpayers subsidising these businesses with grants though. Any spare money would need to go the education, housing and health, and  not to give relief to the poor shop-keepers.

There's certainly a lot of bleating going on, but no offer to pay a bit extra when things are going well.

Don't think I would want to see council/taxpayers subsidising these businesses with grants though. Any spare money would need to go the education, housing and health, and  not to give relief to the poor shop-keepers.

There's certainly a lot of bleating going on, but no offer to pay a bit extra when things are going well.

I would bet most folk would agree the Toll Clock shopping centre is more use to them than the Town Hall where plenty of taxpayers money is being spent.

But it will look fine for another few years(20?) then it will have to be done again.

I would bet most folk would agree the Toll Clock shopping centre is more use to them than the Town Hall where plenty of taxpayers money is being spent.

But it will look fine for another few years(20?) then it will have to be done again.

I've never been in the place yet!

I went to Toll clock again today for butcher meat , yes no Tesco meat for me only chicken from there :)

But walking threw I noticed loads of damaged floor tiles areas of the internal walls with water marks, quite a lot of the roof lights either switched off or not working, basic stuff that could be sorted.............

I've never been in the place yet!

Which one, the Toll Clock or the grossly expensive to run (When it's really only walking) Town Hall?

Well there has been a lot of conjecture and supposition on here, but the "death nail " to the country shops and the majority of those in the town has been the growth of the supermarkets.

There is no way that local merchants can compete with the supermarket prices,although many of us will and do support our local butchers and fish mongers ect,paying a little more perhaps for better quality.

For those of us not to fussy an item of clothing or some electrical apparatus will usually be a lot less expensive from the supermarkets than from the local shops.

The demise of "da street " has little to do with folk being lazy,lack of parking ect,but more to do with the price of things.

This is no fault of the local merchants but plenty to do with expansion of the big supermarkets throughout Britain and elsewhere, something that only governments has the power over. 

I for one welcome the cheaper prices but also fully aware that I am supporting the supermarkets to the cost of our local shops

Spending thousands in the street putting up flowers and Xmas lights ect is all very well and makes it look nice,but it is a bit like putting flowers on a grave and will not bring back the deceased.   

Where does this notion come from that the SIC have any control or influence over what retailers can be ‘let in’? The simple fact is that for a sizeable majority of them, there just aren’t enough customers here to make setting up shop viable - rates, speed humps, pedestrianisation, perceived SIC inaction or whatever else aside.

As far as parking goes, you generally have to pay to park further from the shops in most other towns than you do in Lerwick - and I’m thinking about old yet busy and successful ones among them. In Kirkwall, you have to pay to park in the council car parks. If they’re all thriving, a lack of free parking can’t be an issue for them surely?

No doubt it's changes in the way we shop that has had the biggest impact on the street and other town centres elsewhere. Price and convenience isn't everybody's priority though and the key is for the street to do a good job at providing what its competitors canna.