New AHS Building.

Ghostrider

I had the pleasure of being shown around the New Anderson High School at the week-end and must say I was very impressed.

Only wish I was a lot younger and could have had the privilege to attend such a fine laid out school .I sure I would have learned a lot more.!

A lot of criticism has been muted about this project but from what i could see most if not all can be totally discounted.

Time of course will tell but if the building is wind and water tight from the weather of the past few days then things are of to a good start.

Edited by Urabug

Guest Mr.Brown

^I wish Sandwick JH, many moons back when I was there, had been the school it is today. I don't necessarily mean the actual building structure but more the range of subjects that exams can be taken in. In recent years, infact decades now, it has become a great school & very inclusive (as in catering well for special needs). A very large school is not always the best environment for all kids. One size just doesn't fit all no matter what some of our councilors would like to believe. Sorry, I know this has drifted off the thread some what but I couldn't help myself!

^ Lets face it, it would have been difficult to create anything that wasn't better than the old place.....It had.....ahem.....'character', for sure.....and was run by more than one 'character', that was about all you could say about it.

Seriously though, only ever been in the new building once, a very long time ago, and have no involvement with it otherwise, so know nothing, but it seems to keep on keeping on doing its business without there being or having been any noticable complaining and bitchin about it within its catchment area, which in itself is quite a feat as schools go.

Guest Mr.Brown

^Nothing wrong with a bit of character! There is a lot to be said for the country junior highs & for that matter Brae high school too. They all have good reputations & results as far as I'm aware & should be valued equally. I shall get off my soapbox now before a big hand comes out of internet land & knocks me off it for straying too far off subject. Night all out there.

• 10 months later...

Oh, dear, its all kicking off now.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2018/09/24/local-firm-claims-construction-giant-morrison-has-failed-to-pay-1-8-million-for-high-school-work

Can't we manage to have just one sizeable public works contract completing in Shetland these days without 'swords or pistols at dawn' in its immediate aftermath.

Mareel.....Whitehoose, now the 'two sheds' AHS......

• 11 months later...

I see a copied email doing the rounds on Facebook tonight announcing the AHS is closed for the rest of the week to 'allow repairs to a damaged high level window in the centre of the building....."

Someone done something they shouldn't, or is the place starting to fall apart already......anyone know?

One mention of window repair at a school, and I'm reminded of the perpetual 'repairs' that had to be done at Bells Brae in the 70's etc just after it was built, until they finally gave in, admitted the originals were crap, and pretty much started over.