Inter Island Ferry Service

SV2019

I would have thought that if living on one of the "islands" was such a bad deal because of the lack of a 24/7 connection to the mainland then the populations would already be diminished to almost nothing. I realise that selling up a home & maybe land too & establishing yourself & possibly family in another area is not an easy, overnight process, but I can't say that I have noticed any major move towards that. If the vast majority of these island residents really want a tunnel then fair enough but I think it would inevitably & irreversibly change their communities. The moral of the tale, "be careful of what you wish for".

Oil and the roll on roll of Ferries arrived almost at the same time creating many jobs, on Yell and Unst also Fetlar.

Many of those with good jobs bought and built houses ,some within the islands others moved to the mainland,but it was a time of prosperity that is what kept the islands vibrant.

Times are now changing there is no longer (at present anyway) the same level of work in Unst and with fewer jobs in the oil/gas industry at Sullom less prospects available all round.

Good news today though regarding North Sea gas which ultimately might bring about a few more jobs.

The bottom line is to keep this "vibrancy" in the islands requires jobs.

We can build all the tunnels and bridges we want  but they will only be a help if there is something to keep and retain the population .

shetlander has hit the nail on the head, a bridge/tunnel might see facilities like schools ,care centers ,health centers ect that are already on the islands being relocated to the Mainland creating more unemployment.

One other point many who have had the privilege of also having a little croft as well as a job,might because of the Brexit  situation find they will be receiving a lot less subsidy in the future,another blow  to those trying to survive on the islands. 

What would Shetland look like if we spend £millions building and constructing tunnels and bridges then the population on those islands dropping.  

Guest Mr.Brown

^I agree with many of the points made by yourself Urabug & also Shetlander. From my admittedly limited experience of hearing the opinions of some Unst folk, my impression is that things would have to get extremely desperate before they would consider relocating. I think they are fairly resilient (out of necessity perhaps) & put some of us woosey mainlanders to shame a bit! The point I am really trying to make is that the opinions of the residents of the islands in question should be heard & paid attention to & not just the usual S.I.C. "consultation" where the outcome has already been decided.

Guest Mr.Brown

^Just to add, I am not suggesting that any decision has been made by the council or even spoken about of late. Just that when the subject should come up with them again as no doubt it will that I would hope the opinions of the people who are most directly affected, would be taken seriously whichever way their majority favour.

Hi Readers

I think best option is to put to vote on Northern Isle what people of isles want letter to each house hold to tick box with options, as end day SIC must respect peoples wishes, I believe personally fixed links best, give locals chance of people move day or night and to Attract tourism and business to islands, Bura Isle has proven population went up in area as people can work were they wish don’t depend on ferries. With this Scottish office must respect people as well and find Eu and private public partnership to build tunnels, faro Islands also built there tunnels a long time ago but they were thinking of their people needs, I believe people must stand together advice SIC in writing with list people what they want, Not be told what they will get after all  people voted for them run SIC  for requirements of Shetland, Oil funds bring home to Shetland use for needful projects, No project over 5million  should be done by Sic unless people Shetland advice benefits what help Isles. To much power by them using Shetland people oil funds Its sad see small schools closing there after  next here 1.5m for clickmin centre who decides this funds is any one responsible for their actions or mistakes in SIC? Government and oil funds for all Shetlands so spread projects over islands inc   housing, and let Private investors in help them Not just few thinking state Sic must do. As this a  start of a form Communism by local government

So I think Four options in wishes people

A build new ferries links expensive way over 100 years’ costs?

B Give out to tender ferries owners come with ship run service on 5-year contract.

C give Scottish government to run service to requirement of Isles.No cost to SIC 

D fixed links public private partnership use min 100 years work places repairs a lot cheaper yearly 24-hour service were business can develop

Yes, I agree the bear 100% this lose to isles not been Able to get to sales with livestock, as a lot people hold stock back hoping prices go up. now there lost chance, I understand weather no one can controll but if been fixed link its  don’t depend on weather, maybe really good idea to put out survey who like fixed links on islands, I understand ferries jobs would go but in building of tunnel 100s jobs be created on islands building them also there after they need maintained and security people. Isle people go for fixed links and future Islands develop and young generation have reasons for them to stay on island not move to Lerwick or south looking for work or study give them chance work on our isles I understand ferrie crews wont like i would be same but its time think all people needs as Throught times new ferries all will go up in prices even wages then service be reduced say monies  thats what come to long term Sic and scottish office will not keep pumping monies into ferries ,they taxes property go up up and really north isles people should get tax relive on houses as there distance from main Facility’s of lerwick

Taxes monies from rates of houses should remain in area to develope region min 10 years 

Why theres no Industrial sites in outer Isle were by companies set up business get zero taxes 10 years and employment of  people if this happened  it would double isle 

Population fast. and its not fairy tale idea as all across uk there economical zones for this,waken up please SIC   with transportation needs of islands  Hold you heads high front of people  who votes you in, your chair and expects keep promises 

I couldn't get into work today because of the ferry cancellations.

Please don't build any tunnels or fixed links..... :P

We probably can't build any tunnels or fixed links. No doubt all materiels required for them will have to be delivered by inter-island ferries and all deliveries will be controlled by the S. I. C. and they will tell us how important it is that they mainain full power over it all, when some other crowd could probably do the job in half the time and at a tenth of the price.

Isle people go for fixed links and future Islands develop and young generation have reasons for them to stay on island not move to Lerwick or south looking for work or study

Just out of interest, how many ex-isle residents have you spoken to to come to that conclusion?

I think most young leavers will tell you that they leave to go to university/college and/or that they want to live in or near cities/towns. Why? Because it’s a more appealing lifestyle with more educational, career or social opportunities for them.

How are fixed links going to change that?

Edited by shetlander

Isle people go for fixed links and future Islands develop and young generation have reasons for them to stay on island not move to Lerwick or south looking for work or study

Just out of interest, how many ex-isle residents have you spoken to to come to that conclusion?

I think most young leavers will tell you that they leave to go to university/college and/or that they want to live in or near cities/towns. Why? Because it’s a more appealing lifestyle with more educational, career or social opportunities for them.

How are fixed links going to change that?

Fixed links will give everybody, young and old, access to both mainland and the other isles 24/7, unlike what is inflicted upon us now. Perhaps that will offer a little more to the youths that want to go on to further education or want decent access to a social environment, instead of only having access to the rest of the world during the hours provided.

Hi George

I thank you for your Reply But in reality people be more free to attend classes or social events in lerwick and return home when they want and don’t depend on ferries its 24 hours service fixed links, lot young from  outer isles get bored and if  they want to  go to lerwick evening  must stay there overnight, same with workers if direct fixed links  people can  even work in lerwick return home night with good transport network,as buses depend on ferries running or not due to weather. Example there was meeting in shetland hotel for farmers crofter future of Shetland 7pm night how many people north isles could attend that to talk see their future in crofting? they could not attend as to late for ferries get back home ,I understand ferrie crews Employed By  SIC cant voice there option regarding fixed links or some member communitie counsol  or vote for it  but time they thought for good of their communities Not there personal Interests JOBS for boys days must end, wages on ferries are quite good as people are home most evening and people who are on vessels for 6 plus months traveling ocean get same wages  plus most ferrie men are crofters have second income so they live well  other crofters struggle

If   community counselors don’t ask press they won’t get and isles get few fewer people then theres  no need for ferries  and go back 2 times per day crossings, scottish office  will not  give more monies for upgrade ferries when cheaper way better service can be done, its be cheaper them give 1m pounds each house hold live on mainland Shetland rather pay ferries costs  sure they won’t do that. But  if people want work in past ways its costly way WHO pays?

I am from shetlands but see that there’s not ambition go ahead with transport systems also keep in mind if  it was not Oil Shetland we  had no good roads  roads Sullomvoe to sum burgh still been narrow tracks  the  oil help pay   it

The old Sic members when oil come to islands got there Requirements for shetland people from big oil companies. they almost had free electrical power for old people low income on shetlands but then north Scotland hydro board threatened take away they network on isles lines old Sic although new to game developments were more active in getting needs that today and consolers at that time   got  basic fee attend meetings was not high like today wages officals get and travel perks

Another example Gas plant sullom voe 

Sic could have got quota of gas from  this plant had to module power plants on site make power for all shetlands  such power plant 100m today, like shipping containers just hoock up to gas  but government don’t want they want spend 1 billion sterling on cable to mainland. wind farms have  come It has been  proven not effective and  bad for    Enviromental  now goverment are not supporting this much more so you see Clever people. In thatcher time state only administrate she made them not to operate as it was lose  better put to tender save monies as private can do cheaper  so same ferries sic would save 7m year on this routes  instead ad to budget better to put monies in tunnels not ferries open up isles get in Investors to fund Pulblic private partnerships way forward for all shetland they do  it in  scotland so dont be afraid in shetland. to do this

Well fixed link is not going to help me in Fair Isle. So a one solution fits all will not work. We all filled out that daft survey recently and were told the transport links didn’t meet the Scottish government’s minimum standard as we couldn’t get out for a night out and back the same night they just don’t live in the real world these consultants. What we did want is a way to get a vehicle bigger than a car onto the isle and get livestock off to the mart in a reasonable condition. That was lost in the consultation though and they came up with Sunday flights as the answer. I mean an agricultural community that can’t get a wee tractor in withought charter is just a joke.

Now the council has earmarked a huge budget to design a new ferry that they can’t build because they don’t have the money so why waste the money designing something that by the time you have money it will be out of date. Frustrated yea that kinds of sums it up.

As for attracting young folk. Well it kind of depends how you classify young. Under forty would be good.

Its probably a blessing in disguise that they can't build whatever they design given their track record.

Their last attempt at a small bespoke vessel for a lengthy and exposed crossing gave us the long, very sorry, and no doubt offensively expensive saga of dud people designing, building and attempted modifications of dud boats, that only ended when they finally had to give in and do what they should have done in the beginning, and listened to the Foula folk and built what they'd suggested all along was the best fit for the route.

Unfortunately enough time has passed since that hilarious debacle, that memories of it within the corridors of power are no doubt long buried and forgotten under the pile of numerous subsequent embassassments they've had a hand in, and a re-run for the Fair Isle is more than likely.

Its not like there's been any evidence they've gotten any better at it with time, seeing as we only recently managed to unload two turkey tugs they'd 'designed'.