Flybe

ava1

In the light of the news regarding Flybe’s withdrawal from Shetland, maybe Ryan Thomson should reconsider his position as mouth piece. There was a good chance our life line provider could have gone out of business. When you live on a island you have to except you’ll not be getting the same service than you would get on the mainland.

In the light of the news regarding Flybe’s withdrawal from Shetland, maybe Ryan Thomson should reconsider his position as mouth piece. There was a good chance our life line provider could have gone out of business. When you live on a island you have to except you’ll not be getting the same service than you would get on the mainland.

What has he has said that you don't agree with?

I've found it refreshing having some new young blood in the council have spoken to them all they seem to be very enthusiastic which might change!  Hopefully sort out some of the old ones stuck in their ways.

What's it got to do with Ryan? He has spoke  up for fair and frequent fares on boats and planes.

Exactly my thoughts,agree or disagree with what he says he has done nothing but fight for getting shetland people cheaper plane and boat fares.  I know him personally and I know how much work he has put into this.  success or no success doesnt matter at least he is trying to do something about it.  i also know he does not want to be a spokesman on anything but the media come to him because of the work hes done should he say no comment? so easy to criticize someone trying to help us all and such negativity for someone who is only trying to help such unfair stick and we wonder why noone wants to be councillors in shetland?  

Next there will be cheaper ferry fares, but don’t even think about getting a cabin and getting a car on board. Let’s face it services costs money,if you don’t want to pay for them, then try and get the snp to pay. Free prescriptions, Free education, Free travel. Soon I’ll not have to work everything will be FREE.

Edited by ava1

Just a slight point........Flybe are not withdrawing from Shetland since Flybe have never flown to Shetland.  All the Flybe branded flights have been provided by Loganair and more recently by Eastern Airways.  I am sure some of the people based at the airport will argue if I am wrong but as far as I know not a single Flybe plane has ever landed at Sumburgh.

Just to be pedantic Flybe have at least had one flight in on a proving flight, for oil industry, but not as a commercial flight as you correctly state.

All the people who whinged about not having a jet service have not given them a chance to make it work. Remember when everyone was calling out for competition!

And people should remember that it is not long ago that Loganair (in their Flybe livery) were struggling with reliability issues.

It looks like we have all our eggs in one basket now.

Hi Frances144

Yes Fly be are keeping Orkney Lines as they get more support there as login Air been Supported a lot over years by SIc as owners were most time Royal bank Scotland, I thought completion would be very good in business as end day flights get cheaper Now it go back after some time high costs again then they will ask more grants from government support for life line service, same song. as ferries, if don’t require or need tunnels two options   A put ferries out 5 year tender operate service or let Scottish government run them there self-save local tax payers monies  and use on better things, Orkney ready give ferries to Goverment to operate,so same Airlines let people come in islands operate routes

All airlines have massive overheads,staff,maintenance ,landing charges,security ,baggage handlers ect ,ect and if their was money to be made then I'm sure Flybe would have continued.

With only tourism and outside workers to support the "small" travelling population of these Islands I would doubt if there will be much competition in the future.but who knows.

Travel depends a lot on prosperity ,I'm not sure as many folk can afford fancy holidays and trips to the Mainland, as often nowadays.   

One thing for sure as already been mentioned the cost of flying will rise steeply in 2018,but it  will be something along with the weather to moan about . :twisted:

What's it got to do with Ryan? He has spoke  up for fair and frequent fares on boats and planes.

Yes, and you're not seeing the results of it. A short lived unsustainable price war between airlines that come this time next year may as well never have happened as it'll be back to where it was this time last year, and a shuffling of the seats price list on the boat, that it'll come as one hell of a surprise if a year from now and the numbers get totted up, that even 1p has come our way out of it. Yes, some fares are cheaper, but some aren't, and some are dearer, plus everything in and out now costs us all more, as the freight costs just got hiked - and this is being hailed as some sort of 'success'. Nice!

Hats off to Ryan for at least stepping up and trying, but he has a lot to learn about politics, being a politician, and dealing with politicians - firstly, know exactly what you're asking for before you open your mouth, and block off all possible side-tracks too, for sure as hell if other politicians see a way of convincing their audience they have done what's been asked of them by means of baffling with sprootle and sleight of hand, rather than actually changing anything, they will, and in this case they have.